2017-10-20 17:13:19

What good are unlabeled diagrams? ^_^
It can do braille, whether it's designed to or not, since it uses pins. I am a bit worried about pin-size, after comparing the pin-count to the dimensions of the display. It seems like they might be a bit larger than refreshable braille dots, or more spaced out. That'd be annoying, but I get the engineering difficulties involved.
I wonder what would happen if Apple or Google tried to make a braille display. They're surely more likely to focus on more generic tactile stuff, if at all, but I can't help but think that having a big business with big factories and lots of money and employees would make a huge difference.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-20 17:53:57

hi afrim,
I am actually a bilingual, though I think my english is alot better than my turkish, as I had more exposure to it. The contraction problem I had was with english braille, not turkish braille, as turkish is an orthographic language.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-10-20 20:58:56

@Enes, I understand.

2017-10-20 23:32:49

Another annoyance I have with UEB is that there is no direct way to insert or represent Unicode characters. Notetakers have somewhat gotten around this by using hex codes such as u+28a, with a dot 4 and 1246 in the beginning, but as far as I know, there is no easy way to directly insert Unicode characters as there normally is with Computer Braille.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-10-21 22:02:41

First the reason braille seems to be dying is because 1. It is expensive to produce. To make a book, you need a $5000 braille printer, $40 or $80 special braille paper rheems, $600 or so braille translation software like Duxbury, binding and labeling machines... 2. It is not practicle to carry around braille volumes, many of them at a time. 3. the 40 year old piezoelectric braille displays are so expensive only government agencies and institutions buy them for education and employment purposes. Most consumers can't aford them. Even the 12 to 14 cell displays are $1000 or more. To read a book 20 to 40 cells is best. Perkins braillers are about $800 brand new. The only affordable braille writing device is the slate ;and stylus at $6 or $7. They make great quality braille. But writing volumes of braille is not practicle. I can write up to 20 words per minute with my slate and stylus. I can use it as a noteTaker. But we increasingly don't live in a hand-writing world. Books are digital. It's easier to get digital books. If braille does not become digital and affordable it will unfortunately die. That's why the orbit20 is being made and will be out soon. It's like a digital slate and stylus. a simple braille book reader, basic editor with no translator. file manager and braille terminal to use with screen readers. It's dust and liquid resistant and virtually drop proof. I tested 2 of them. They're nice durable little braille displays. The braille is like reading braille on a sign or an elevator door. You can put hundreds of thousands of braille volumes on the sd card. Because its a basic display it will show you any braille you want. You can read music braille and math braille with it if you want. Its braille notetaker is also simple. Make a new file and write whatever braille code you wish. Write grade3 braille or Japanese braille if you want. Its a raw braille editor. it does cut and copy and paste, backspace and new line. like a digital perkins brailler. It has no speech at all. the old displays required a $500 to $1000 a year SMA to keep those things running and cleaned. the new tech in the orbit reader will, like a brailler or slate, you buy it, use it, and it keeps on going no SMA needed. Unless things like the orbit reader become the new standard, and orbit Grafiti tactile display, and new multiLine displays such as the kanute, we need new modern digital low cost braille tech so braille does not die off.

2017-10-21 22:05:37

the orbit20 I tested is about the size of an old video tape. It can fit in a large jacket pocket. If the memory card is formatted as fat32 it can take up to a 128gb sd card. yes 128gb full of any braille books you want. any kind of digital braille at all. there are commands to substitute for no cursor router buttons. I really liked it when i tested it out.

2017-10-21 22:08:04

as I said before once the orbit reader20 is out worldwide, for the price of a good cell phone, you will have a nice affordable braille display that can read any braille code in any language you wish.

http://tech.aph.org/or20

2017-10-21 22:11:35

well when the orbit20 comes out I will use a free program on windows called codex by james scholes. translate epub and other books into word then use the free send2braille to translate it into braille files and throw it onto the orbit20 sd card and off I go with hundreds of thousands of volumes of braille in any kind of language and braille code i wish, right in my pocket. I'll even put on some music braille code to get back into playing the trumpet again.

2017-10-21 22:26:00

skimming through text and stuff like a sighted person? Reading fast and finding text quickly? I wish the orbit reader20 and Grafiti refreshable low cost tactile graphics display would have been available for me in high school back in 1996. They would have made doing homework and skimming through textbooks for vocabulary words and other things so much quicker and easier. With orbit20 when I tested out some units, I could skip by page, jump to different parts of braille books, quickly switch volumes, read by character word line and paragraphs, find all underlined bold or italicised words in a braille book very very quickly and more. I could also open a new file and just start writing in any braille code I wished. then hit select two times to quickly save that file to the sd card. again, you can read its manual at

2017-10-21 22:28:38

grade3? I guess when the lions club gets me the orbit20 when its out, I will get a grade3 braille reference guide and learn it. Then I can use the free turboBraille braille translator inside of talking dosbox to translate books in text files into grade3 braille and read them on the orbit20.

2017-10-21 22:34:01

regarding braille music, I needed it in high school. I was in the marching band and had to learn certain pieces of music and memorise them. I could not have done it without braille music. regarding the new ueb braille. the free send2braille translator does not force ueb on you. the new orbit20 will not force ueb on you. its default code for menus files and messages is 8 dot computer braille. and in send2braille, you can change its braille table and have everything translated in the old style braille you like the most. That's another thing I liked about orbit20 when I tested it. it does not force any kind of braille code on you. You use and read and write the digital braille however and in whatever way works best for you as an individual user.

2017-10-21 23:43:18

The thing about Grade 3 is that it's so rarely used, there isn't much of a standard. There has to be something of one—I've seen a standardized test for it—but for all intents and purposes, it's like any other shorthand. Personally, if I really need to save space (and I've made lots of half-page books and note-cards, so it isn't so uncommon), I drop spaces and unnecessary 56s (ex, in recipes, 1tbs makes as much sense with the letter sign as without), mix and match whichever code saves the most space, right names in Japanese (and drop the voice marks if I'm really short on space), and mostly try to let context sort out ambiguity. In spite of how desperately I wanted there to be a contraction for car when I was 6 (this only makes sense if I didn't know ar yet, and I don't remember if that was the case...), I haven't really used any unclaimed dot 5 or 456 or what have you. ... I'm not sure why. That would totally be in character.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-22 23:48:46

I've never tried a Slate and Stylus. What is it like? I've only tried the Perkins machine, the electronic Mount Battin Braille Writer and Braille note takers like the BrailleNote and BrailleSense.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-23 01:15:38

I don't know how to describe the slate and stylus without it sounding horrible. And, much like handwriting, the experience varies. I suppose the cheeky answer is "it's like being Vanna White, except with 6 panels per letter instead of one, and also you're poking them open with a tiny hole-poking tool."
It also varies with the type / sharpness of the stylus, the type of slate, the surface you're using, practice, technique, yada yada. Most people seem to prefer saddleback styluses (styli?), but I can hardly do anything with those and prefer the one's shaped kinda like a driver (as in the golf club). I'd say the biggest disadvantage compared to the typewriter is the inability to review and edit the line you're on until you're done with it.
I've heard people complain about people complaining about having to write right-to-left, but I don't remember ever hearing someone actually complain about it. It's easier than it sounds, but most people hate it all the same.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-28 05:32:32

I can handwrite 20 words or so per minute with the slate and stylus. the only difference is this.
dot 1 is in the top right of the cell
dot 2, middle right
dot 3, lower right
dot 4, top left
dot 5, middle left
dot 6, bottom left.
you start on the right hand side and finnish the line on the left. if you remember this you can write nice and fast with the slate and stylus fast enough to even take notes in college classes. and if you write on thermoform its nice and quiet. almost silent so handwriting will hardly be noticeable when taking notes.