2017-10-09 12:21:34

Hi.

Okay this one is odd.  everytime my computer starts and c cleaner runs, a user account control window comes up.
I was wondering what it was, then I ran c cleaner and got the same thing.
the problem is that I can't read that window at all, neither supernova nor Nvda reads anything more than the title, I just get told "user account control"

I imagine it is something crazy in windows security interfering with c cleaner but as I can't read the bloody window I'm not sure what. This is certainly a recent thing, probably as recent as my computer's last update.

I'm also a little worried that Nvda isn't reading something standard as a windows message window, which hasn't happened before, I've tried nvda w, nvda b, and using the numbpad to switch browse modes but nothing other than the title and the close button.

I'd like to run c cleaner, as it's got lots of useful tools, apart from the keeping windows clean job, plus I'm concerned about nvda's lack of reading, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Edit: Okay this gets stranger. I ran narrator and it couldn't read the user account control window either but when I hit enter C cleaner came up fine and now seems to be working, so obviously it was just a confirmation box warning me that c cleaner wasn't authorized by the almighty god of Microsoft, however the fact that no screen reading program including microsoft's own sort of makes that a bit pointless big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-09 13:32:31

Hi, I think it is a confirmation dialog where you have to click yes or no, and what you need to do in this case, if it pops up again, press alt+y or alt+n.
In addition, turn user account control completely off, and you will no longer see that dialog box.

2017-10-09 13:59:58

Hi,

Afrim is right. One additional thing to note... If you don't click yes, the program either won't run, or won't run correctly. So alt+y is pretty much a given here. Failing that, search for user account control and just set the slider in that dialog to 0.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2017-10-09 19:35:45

thanks, it is odd, since I thought I had turned user account control completely off, but obviously not, oh well it's done now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-22 18:33:46

Okay this is strange.

I've  now got my laptop and  am having the same problem as mentioned previously with c cleaner, however the notification slider in user account control is set to zero and it's still! coming up and Nvda still!  isn't reading it, and alt Y still! isn't working. The odd thing is setting the notification slider in user account control settings to zero did! fix the problem on my desktop, but isn't doing on my laptop.

Has anyone got any toughts?

2017-10-23 01:16:55

Try running CCleaner as an administrator. If the problem goes away, open the properties on the CCleaner on the desktop icons and, while you're focused on the general tab, press ctrl+tab to go to compatibility page, or shim layer tab, where you should find and check a checkbox that reads "run this program as an administrator". Do apply this action after trying for the first time running the program as an administrator.

2017-10-23 02:56:26

You can't fully disable UAC in windows 10, I mean you can, but it's through the registry and it stops you from using metro apps if you do that.
Enraging I know, but you have to admit, it does have the potential to save allot of people from them selves.

Last time I checked, CCleaner had an option in the setup to enable an UAC exception, so if it worked before and it isn't now, I'm guessing you either didn't do it this time, or a security update screwed it up.

2017-10-23 06:22:22

hi,
This is truly insane. The UAC dialogues that pop up when it is completely disabled are different. They have no yes or no button, but block you from doing whatever you were doing. This is unacceptable, microsoft should've added an option in windows 10 pro to completely and truly disable uac. A pro user usually knows what he is doing, or if not, can deal with the consiquences.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-10-23 12:49:39

Hmmm, I did try running as administrator but no good, though I suppose I could always try reinstalling c cleaner and see if that helps.
It is indeed crazy that there is  no  confirmation on these boxes at all even when you set notifications to zero.

I don't mind windows  notifying me when something is a potential issue, but not letting me do it at all, and what is worse, not reading the screen is  plane patronising.

2017-10-23 16:56:24 (edited by revan 2017-10-23 16:59:38)

hello there,
when this happens,  use windows 10 ocr built in windows
It will recognize
note! this is not nvda ocr
this is built in windows 10
If you installed nvda ocr addon,  remove, before proceeding
It will not work
use nvda plus r key,
wait for recognizition for complete, use your arrow keys
down arrow and up arrows
it will say yes or no
click yes you are will be good
i couldn't turn off uace too but no way
this is simple solution

2017-10-24 01:04:25

Hello guys, i have a file that turns UAC completely off, a .reg file. I can post it here, if you need that.

2017-10-24 16:04:12

Hi Revan, thanks for the tip.
I have however checked C cleaner settings and there is an option to skip the user account control warning. I suspect for some odd reason that option didn't get activated on my laptop. I do however have the latest setup file for C cleaner which I've downloaded on my desktop and will install, which will hopefully fix the problem.

C cleaner I think is the only program I've seen this happen with, so fingers crossed after that is done the zero notifications will take effect and it won't happen again.

it is a major arse that Microsoft couldn't have better accessibility, hell you'd tink with the work that has gone on with narrator those dam boxes would read with it at least, but no.

@skylord, thanks for suggesting the ini file to change the registry, though to me that seems a trifle drastic given that this hasn't been an issue since I switched notification down to zero and has only come up with C cleaner.
It might be something to consider in the future, though I'd prefer not to mess with the registry if I can help it, one reason I use C cleaner in the first place big_smile.

2017-10-24 18:47:45

I don't remember CCleaner ever asking for admin permission right after installing it.
One thing you may want to know about is that the 32 bit CCleaner installer was highjacked to install malware for a while. Apparently, the compromised installer was downloaded about 2.27 million times. Hopefully you didn't get a bad one. The installers are fixed now, though.

2017-10-25 14:40:27

I've always used the 64 bit version of C cleaner, so no worries on that one, though that is a little scary.

The odd thing is neither version of C cleaner gave any trouble when I installed it, I suspect this is a Microsoft security update causing the problem which has only occurred in the past couple of weeks, one reason why I suspect a fresh install will do the job and probably why  cleaner added the option to disable the warning.
The only really crazy thing is that disabling notifications worked fine on my desktop and not on my laptop.

Then again, I did discover the cookies exception list when hunting for handy C cleaner options,  saves me putting in my passwords for sites like this one I visit regularly after doing a clean, so I did get some advantage out of this.

2017-10-25 19:25:37

Hi. I have the same problem. I even tried to disable my UAC, but it just came back on after a fiew days.

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2017-10-27 15:58:24

Well I have now tried installing the latest version of C cleaner on my laptop. It's working okay thus far, so fingers crossed.
I still have no idea why disabling User account control on the desktop worked and on the laptop didnt', but hopefully this has got around it.