2017-09-28 08:01:44

I'm currently evaluating all EA Sports titles - in this case, NHL 18. I found that NHL 18 has NHL 94's two button mode, which is encouraging. For those who have played past NHL or current NHL versions, do you recall if there were any particular settings, such as camera angle, that you were using? There are many to choose from.

Thanks,

- Karen Stevens

2017-09-28 16:09:52

Honestly camera angles have nothing to do with accessibility on my part, since I am totally blind. No settings helped either, however I suppose that the NHL 94's controls might be easier for those who are not very familiar with hockey.

2017-09-28 17:43:38

I figured camera angles would help, as they would indicate where the goal is, and change the way audio is used. Not sure which would have the best audio outcome, as my ability to hear is an issue.

2017-09-28 21:06:10

I would have to experiment with the different ones then. I do know that with the default angle it's already pretty easy to know where the player carrying the puck is on the ice, left, right or at center. I don't know if one or another is more precise, but that would be great. The commentators also offer a lot when it comes to where the play is happening on the ice and who carries the puck

2017-09-28 22:16:38

I have yet to try nhl 18 yet. A bit cash strapped at the moment. I really want to though. Hockey is my favorite sport by far. I remember having a much easier time with NHL 08 for ps2. You could slow everything down and the play by play was very on point. NHL 18's from what I've heard is good, but there's still a lot of dead air where passes are being made and you're not always sure who has the puck. The biggest problem I had in NHL 17 was trying to move through the pages of settings to slow everything down. I don't always have sighted help available, so I need to get someone in to help me configure it. If I end up doing that I'll report back. even better, if I have some sort of unexpected financial windfall I will pick up 18 and try that too.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2017-09-28 22:52:24 (edited by seb 2017-09-28 23:10:17)

What Liam mentioned by not being able to adjust settings without sighted help is an issue too, since we all deal with this kind of problem. I hate mentioning this, but the reason why I am not going to purchase NHL 18 and the upcoming titles is simply because I want to be able to play a hockey game without sighted assistance to setup the game, do roster moves, start a season, edit lines, things like that. This is what should be focused on when it comes to hockey games if EA is interested in dealing with accessibility, because it's a bigger issue than the gameplay. I'm saying this regarding hockey games, I do not play other sports game to know if some of them might need more than just a way for the text on the screen to be spoken. But if you ask for my personal opinion, hockey really needs this, way before gameplay improvements. Let me mention why. In these settings, you can choose if you want to use manual passing or not, you can adjust pass assist, shot accuracy, etc. You can even choose to use auto shot aim. You can change your team's strategies. This is plenty enough for someone who knows so much about hockey. This is plenty enough for me in terms of gameplay. These settings are good, but are they really that good if you can't adjust them by yourself? Sure you can ask for sighted help, but that might not be always possible. Let's say you ask for sighted help to adjust the settings. You start a season, and then one of your players gets hurt. You need to replace him with a guy from the minor league or a player that is already scratched in your lineup. You can't accomplish this without sighted help once again.
I played NHL 17 a few weeks ago at a friends, and yes it's a great game. But again what is going to prevent me from buying NHL 18 is outlined above.

2017-09-28 23:21:04

I can agree with this, though I think it would only be available on xbox, and I would be concerned  about the console's ability to do both, narrator, and the game without performances issue. But yes, as a game as complicated and deep as EA makes their sports games, spoken menus is almost going to be needed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-28 23:36:50 (edited by seb 2017-09-28 23:55:03)

Exactly. And let me mention that casual gamers might not agree with my opinion. They might be totally okay playing NHL 18 or an upcoming hockey game without spoken menus if other things are implemented. I, as a hardcore hockey fan though, am not going to do that. It's one thing to pick up this game to play exhibition games with friends or against the computer. You definitely might not need spoken menus if you are planning to do that. Memorizing the team's select screen is going to be enough. However I want to be able to play a full season by myself, and this is currently not possible. If something can be done I would definitely purchase the game the second the update is released, no joke.

2017-09-29 00:07:56

Though I agree that spoken menus are important, we need to start small and work our way up. Accessibility is going to come in small steps at first. If a game has gameplay features that will improve the experience, I will still buy it. It just means I have to get some assistance setting it up. Which isn't preferred, but again. Remember this is new territory for EA and a lot of other companies.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2017-09-29 00:11:41 (edited by seb 2017-09-29 00:14:44)

That's true. As I mentioned if some guys are okay playing a game and having fun, why not. This is what games are for after all. If you guys have ideas that could improve the accessibility for NHL games that would be great as well. I guess I'm too much used to how they work to think of something that could help make them more accessible, since for me they're already pretty accessible in terms of gameplay. . I'm aware that it might be tough to implement spoken menus to a console game since this has never been done in the past. Hoping for the best though

2017-09-29 00:22:37 (edited by ea_accessible 2017-09-29 00:27:13)

I know screen reading is important, but I don't necessarily know all other obstacles in games - so info beyond screen reading is very helpful. I can't promise screen reading any time soon, but if there's interest, I might be able to make a text guide for NHL after
madden's is complete. Accessibility is a journey; it's going to take time to reach goals.

2017-09-29 00:39:59 (edited by seb 2017-09-29 00:41:42)

A text guide would definitely be nice, that's for sure. I'll try and think of things that could help in terms of gameplay, everything I have in mind so far is already well described by the commentator in game but I'll keep thinking. I also want to thank you personally, because knowing EA Sports is interested in making their games more accessible is a huge step forward.

2017-09-29 08:24:55

Hi.
I agree that screenreading is important. But have an accessible gameplay is much more important. Could you imagine a game with talking menus where the game itself was inaccessible? smile Text guides is not the perfect solution, but having an accessible gameplay with text guides which explains the menus is something new and totally amazing which we never have seen before. This is a huge step forward in the right direction.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-09-29 15:46:00

That is why I would love other hockey fans to step up and try to think of some things that would make NHL games become more accessible, since on my part apart from the screen reader these games are already fully accessible.

2017-09-29 17:33:37

How can you say they're accessible though, you have no idea who you're controlling, you have no idea where you are on the rink, you have no idea when you pass where its going to go, or if the pass will end up hitting someone on your team, you have no idea where the other team's defenders are so as to skate around them, and you have no idea where the line is so you don't go off sides. Apart from that, you aren't going to know where the goal is, where your location relative to the goal is, so how you gonna aim your shots.

Those are the questions I'd say would make good starters for making the game more accessible. Which by the way, is a laudable goal and I'm pumped you guys are into making that happen. Information is what we need, the players. I don't realy know how to convey it in a form we can use, like rumbles and stuff that aren't the already existing rumbles for stuff, but that can convey information, maybe a sound scape thing like you hear two pings, first is your position, second is the goal. My point is how can you implement this stuff when you ust most buttons and most button combos on the controller. You guys have a large agenda to pull this off, and no its not going to come about instantly, I know that, its still cool, and any step towards that is a step in the right direction imo.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-29 18:38:53 (edited by seb 2017-09-29 21:42:22)

These are definitely great points and I'm definitely not expecting a miracle. A lot of those things are already pretty obvious if the player knows a lot about hockey though, such as where the opposing goal is and aiming your shots. The commentators are doing an okay job as well letting you know which player you are controlling and where the play is happening on the ice, but they were doing a much better job at it in previous version of the game, such as in NHL 04 or 2008. Now that I think of it, other games might be a lot easier to work for accessibility at first, but hopefully things will be done in the future. I've been playing NHL games since NHL 98, and I do know a lot about hockey, so some obvious things for me might not be as easy as they might seem for other people. I do know though that one thing that should be work on first of all would be to know where the puck is in real time. I consider myself to be pretty good offensively, but playing defense in these games is a different story. So if there was a way to know where the puck is, that would be a huge step forward.

2017-10-20 21:41:08

I'm currently deep-diving in NHL, and will be meeting with the team in a couple of weeks.

There are already assists for things like aiming, which should help. There are also ways to set the camera so you can generally know if you are moving towards or away the goal.

For those who've played/listened to the game before, how well were you able to tell what character you were controlling, or if you had control of the puck?  Would having the puck have exaggerated volume when it hits anything, including a stick, along with surround sound be enough? I'm aware you won't know for sure unless it actually exists - try to guess.

What else would you suggest for game play?

2017-10-21 10:41:26

@Liam: I agree with you 100%. starting small is the important thing. In my opinion if there is any way at all to ake the game a little bit more accessible such as playing a sound when you get near the goal creese for example I would deffinately buy the game. Hell, I am going to buy it anyway, just to see how well I can do with what we have now. And lastely, i would just like to add that I aplaud the efforts of EA games to try and make there games more accessible to play.

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2017-10-22 23:24:31 (edited by seb 2017-10-22 23:25:56)

@ea_accessible well, yeah sounds of the puck hitting things being increased might help, especially for example if you could add some sound or something to know where the puck is moving. Let's say for example that you take a slap shot from the blue line and miss the net, it would be nice to know if the puck is going along the board from left to right or right to left, etc to know where to go to get it back or forecheck. By listening to some videos on youtube it's pretty obvious that knowing when you have control of the puck in NHL 18 is not always easy, since the commentator is not always mentioning which player carries the puck. So it would be nice to have the commentator mention the name of the player who grabs the puck more often if that's even possible. Having ways to know your position on the ice would also be nice. Personally I think playing defense is practically impossible, since there is no way to know where the puck is as well as knowing where the defensive player
you're controlling is, so you pretty much have to trust your AI partners. One important thing that might be pretty easy to implement: during faceoffs a vibration feedback right before the referee drops the puck would be nice and allow us to have a legitimate chance to win the draw. I'm definitely not expecting for all of these ideas to be implemented, but I do think they're worth mentioning. Again, I personally want to thank you for wanting to work on NHL games. The fact that EA is willing to make some of their games accessible is a huge step forward for the community.

2017-10-23 18:06:14

Thanks for the details and feedback. If anyone has suggestions on how defense might work better for them, I'm totally open to discussion. I'm not sure how to solve it, but that doesn't mean it can't be solved.

Thanks,

- Karen Stevens