2017-10-21 06:00:31

Hi.
I've read the first four books in the series, and I'm reading the fifth, soul of the fire right now. I'm wondering when Richard Rahl finally learns how to use his magic? I read temple of the winds, when he goes into the temple he learns how to do everything, but he has to forget once he leaves. I'm a little frustrated with the whole contrast, he has the most powerful magic in thousands of years, but he doesn't know how to use it, and doesn't really have time to learn. So if you could please tell me when he learns magic, and in what book? It's a little irritating to read about other people in the series using magic, and it's not really talked about how to use it, just they do a spell, I'd really like to know more about the magic system in the series and how it works. Please no spoilers if you can avoid them, if you can't no worries.
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-21 11:46:24

now there's a series I havent read in ages, but if I remember correctly, Richard only comes to understand the full potencial of his power in the last book called The Confesser. Note that I might be rong though since it has been a long time since I read the series. I hope this helps.

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2017-10-21 18:30:04

Sounds like reading the last chapter of a mystery to find out who did it, then complaining that the book was too short or didn't have much of a story.

2017-10-21 21:13:45

Brendon is correct, Confessor sort of finishes the series with Richard working out how various things work and putting the clues together.
The series does go on after that point but I've not really bothered as I confess the continual attempts to insert badly argued political philosophy into the books, as well as  ever more gratuitous and insane levels of war and torture just to make sure the bad guys stayed a step eviler than what the good guys were  had put me off and I finished the series more as a duty than a pleasure.

The series had it's moments, but I don't think I would go back to goodkind, not when there is so much other good stuff out there.

If you like magic systems, try Brandon sanderson as magic systems are sort of his pet bug bear, Patric rothfus is also very good for extremely academic yet understandable magic, though in his books the magic is just part of the hole and there is a huge amount more going on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-22 02:34:52

Hi.
@Orco, that's not it at all. I like to know things, I'm a naturally curious guy. I'm still going to read to book eleven, I just wanted to know when so I wouldn't have to keep waiting. I'm not complaining about the series at all. Have you read fantasy novels before? If not, it takes writers a long time to get to the point sometimes, that's true of many novels though. Just in case you didn't know, sword of truth is very long and complex, I just I just wanted a small bit of info.
@Brendan, thanks for the help, I gave you a thumbs-up!
@Dark, thanks for your help also, I agree about the series, Goodkind does try to shove his philosiphy down his readers throats. Sometimes his writing reminds me of the old death wish movies, with all his bad guys and good guys crossing lines constantly lol! I do enjoy the monsters and magical things he puts in the series though. I have read Patrick Rothfuss, I love the kingkiller chronicle! I love the magic system, especially naming. I can't wait for the third book, but Rothfuss seems to be dragging his feet a little too much, although I don't mind waiting. I've read Sanderson's stormlight archive, I can't wait for the third book, oathbringer, to come out next month in the US. Sanderson says the series wil be ten books or more, I'm really excited to see the books come out over the next years. I wish stormlight itself was real, I'd love to be one of the radiants like Kaladin, Szeth, or Shallan lol! Well Szeth isn't a radiant yet at least, but you know what I mean. A good writer of fantasy and magic systems I would recommend is Brent Weeks. He's a fairly new writer, but his books are full of action, one of my favorite series of his is lightbringer, where the people use light as a magic system, which is really intriguing and mysterious. Anyway, dark, thanks again you got a thumbs-up from me.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-22 08:31:38

nope, taht's not true. he doesn't figure out how to  use his powers at the end of the serie. he figures out how to use the screens but now the power.
there's another serie, the omen machine that continues right after the wedding with a new enermy. only problem is that i got to torrent it to be able to read it which i don't wanna do. so if anyone has any websites where you can get the thing for free without having to torrent it i would like to know
and dark, i must respectfully dis agree with what you said. 
+terry goodkind is an awesome writer and i like his style of writing in a book. everything shouldn't be easy in a book when it comes to solve problems etc

2017-10-22 10:19:51

@Sito, my issue wasn't so much that everything should be easy, more that goodkind actually is the opposite. His books increasingly became political fables about how wonderful right wing philosophy is and his good guys went off the deep end pretty quickly as far as extermination and violence is concerned, eg, killing enemies in war fine, but use of torture as revenge?

He certainly had his moments, I enjoyed many of the ideas around magic, and I actually liked several of the characters and conflicts when they weren't spouting platitudes, (I love the bit with Richard's survival under Denna's torture in the first book), but generally my enjoyment of the series decreased as it went on, which is why I don't intend to read the omen machine, or at least not at the second when there is so much else around.

@Guitarman, I haven't tried brent weeks, he's on my list of authors to check out, though I can say Sanderson doesn't stop with stormlight for all stormlight are imho is best.
the mistborn series is worth a look, albeit I enjoyed the first trilogy far more than the subsequent books, and my lady is a huge fan of his novel warbreaker.

Btw as a shameless bit of self promotion here is a link to my book reviews that are published on the website fantasybookreview.co.uk for which I'm a staff reviewer.

My next review is for the fifth of Seanon McGuire's urban fantasy October daye novels, one salt sea, which sadly wasn't as good as many of the others.

that is a very cool series btw, though I will be lazy and just let people check out my reviews for them big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-24 03:58:41

hmm I was fine with the sword of truth  up until the last book. I elt that it was rushed. I've not read the subsequent books.  got too much other shit ot read. I'm going to check out hte october day series? as i like  urban fantays some what.

2017-10-24 14:49:10

October Daye is pretty cool,  my lady and I were rather disappointed by One Salt sea, which is the fifth book.
Still the first book was good, the second book okay, the third bloody awesome! and the fourth pretty excellent, which is a good record for a series imho, though as I said I'll just be lazy and let people check out my reviews big_smile.