2017-10-17 21:33:04

Hi,
I am experiencing a weird issue with my xbox one. It's an original xbox one, not the s or x. I've just updated the fermware, and my Narrator just doesn't seem to want to talk at the moment. I even got sighted help to confirm that the tick was on, unticked it and reticked it and it's still not talking. Even tried restarting the console. Should I try power cycling or unplugging it?

2017-10-18 01:36:44

I have the same issue as well.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2017-10-18 07:35:52

Wow. I think I'll wait by updating, because I don't have any sighted help...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-10-18 13:01:28

Yeah thanks for the heads up, guess I won't be updating then

2017-10-18 18:57:42

I have a feeling I will have to do a factory reset to fix this. Luckily you can keep games and apps.

2017-10-19 00:09:15

How do you do a factory reset?

2017-10-19 00:24:00

all right.  so try these instructions, peeps.
This is what got it to work for me:
*press xbox button.
*go all the way up.
*press left/right.  If you hear the "woosh," press xbox button again
*arrow down twice.  Note: if you have a game launched while attempting this, arrow down three times.
*press left until you don't hear the boop boop of switching menus
*go down all the way
*press A
*press A again
*press left.  if you don't hear a boop, press A

If that doesn't work, and yo8u've got a headset say "hey, cortana? turn off narator," and rince and repeat.

After a while, mine just....worked.

2017-10-19 01:57:19

Didn't work, I kept getting the sign in/out sound.

2017-10-19 02:12:38

I tried to get support to help me, but its way too difficult to check and stuff, and I have the feeling that each xbox interface is gonna be different depending on peoples home screens and stuff.

2017-10-19 14:57:27

Weird. Mine updated with no problem.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2017-10-19 15:13:19

Just power cycle it. I haven't had narrator issues since late 2015, but I always did that and it worked perfectly.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-19 17:42:04

hi,

probably a dump question, but how can i powercycle my xbox? not that it is necessary atm, but when it will be needed, i have the knowledge.

thanks.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2017-10-19 19:25:17

Hold the power button for ten seconds until you hear the XBOX turn off. Detach the power cord and wait for about one to two minutes. Plug the cord back in and then press and hold the XBOX button on your controller until the XBOX powers on. And you're done.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-19 20:03:57

Hi.
Urm well, I think the xbox update automatically for me, so I am having narrator issues  as well. I just power cycled that thing, wil see what comes up.
If nothing helps, I will stream it to the PC and see if OCR can come up with something.
I had another problem though, when I turned the system off, it just restarted again. I am wondering if this was due to the update, batteries beeing placed wrong in the controler and sending fake signals or what ever, I don't know yet.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-10-19 20:20:07

Hi.
Ok, it seams to be half on half off. When I hit xbox button and the menu button for a long time, it says things like control, magnifier, but instandly shuts off again, I don't get what is wrong here.
And hey, the guide looks completely new as well, so no finding the settings icon.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-10-20 01:12:45 (edited by stewie 2017-10-20 02:29:06)

I don't know if this will work for everyone.
I needed sighted help to fix it. I went to settings/ease of access/narrator and enabled the setting that shows the introductory prompt when narrator is enabled. I turned narrator off and on again and it somehow started functioning.

(edit)Easy access? I apparently need sleep.(/edit)

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-10-20 01:16:32

I'm wondering what to do about this issue in terms of reporting it to microsoft.

2017-10-20 01:30:49

We might be able to fix it ourselves, but actually finding settings and stuf is gonna be hard.

2017-10-20 02:41:59

My narrator works for a second. it goes to say controler mode but stops half way through the word control. Not sure what is causing it.

2017-10-20 10:59:52

Hi.
Ah, it works for me again, I went to the settings menu with narrator and turned it on and off multiple times, for me it helped chaning the voice and than trying it again.
And oh my god the new interface looks like hel!
Greetings Moritz

2017-10-20 12:12:06

How did you get to settings in the first place?

2017-10-20 13:08:49

Hi.
Well, I streamed the xbox signal to windows via the xbox app on windows 10 and used the windows OCR features to scan the screen. I noticed that on the collum where the cursor was located i had to go down two times to get to the settings icon, hit a, go down completely to the end of the list for ease of access, hitting a twice to get into narrator. It was a bit of a trial and error from that point on, but it went quite good, the thing is talking again.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-10-20 13:24:01

Hi,
So, should I turn on, or off, narrator before trying the following:
-turning on the warning narrator dialogue.
If that doesn't work, then:
Change the voice back and fourth?
Turning narrator on and off as I go?

2017-10-20 13:42:28

Hi.
What I did is turn narrator on and changed the voice, it somehow worked in the end.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-10-20 13:55:33

I changed the narrator voice, and that seems to have solve the problem.

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7