2017-10-16 22:28:54 (edited by DrJedd 2017-10-19 23:16:34)

Hello,

Despite a chaotic week, I was able to patch together a concept game for the audiogame jam. The game is called "Shepard's Crazy Stairs" and puts you at the bottom of an immense staircase. You must climb to the top while avoiding absurd obstacles coming down the stairs.

You can try the game over at https://gamejolt.com/games/Shepards/290742

The game is not perfect but it stands as a concept, with five levels of increasing length and difficulty. We experimented with auditory illusions like Shepard's Tone (hence the name) and spatial positioning cues in stereo and dolby. It's a little bit halloween-y considering the context, but we also tried not to take ourselves too seriously.

It was made in three sittings (one in a coach journey, one at a friend's place, and one all-nighter to round things up) with sound design from my friend Tom Casey: https://twitter.com/tomcaseyymusic

So with that in mind, please let us know what you think about the game! All feedback is super welcome!

Thanks for taking the time, enjoy the rest of your day!

jedd

2017-10-18 08:16:35

interesting game. I think the movement is too slow. The panning is smooth, and the music is interesting, if a little bland. Also how wide is the field? I wasn't sure.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-10-19 23:16:02

Thanks for your feedback smile I agree that the pace is slow and the levels can be too long especially the last ones. I'll try to fix that. There is no music per se, just an everlasting piano run that tells you whether you're going up or down the stairs. Maybe that wasn't clear, maybe it is not necessary.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "field"? Do you mean how wide are stairs, or something different?

Take care!

jedd

2017-10-20 03:21:44

How far can you move left to right I mean

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!