2017-10-16 17:10:45 (edited by CritterPup 2017-10-16 17:11:43)

Hello everyone,
As you may have deduced from the title of this topic, I am considering the effect of tropes, cliches, and other such plot devices in my writing.
This all began last night, after I completed The Hero of Kendrickstone, (finally.) I saw that there was to be a sequel, so I went to look for one. I read a few reviews of the game, and they said the world was rather generic. And that struck me. Hard. Because I enjoy that sort of high fantasy. So, I wondered, what does that say about my writing? Are cliches a bad thing? Am I a simple-minded want-to-be fantasy author? These questions continue to trouble me, and I'd like to ask writers, film critics or just the casual observer of where you think cliches fit into movies, books, etc.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-16 18:21:29

Interesting question, though to be honest a lot of what I would say I have already said in This article on Formulae in books which I wrote for fantasybookreview.co.uk, the site I write book reviews for.

I probably would say the same as what I said there, though rather than trying to paraphrase myself I'll just be lazy and let anyone who is interested go and read it, then come back hear   how much everyone disagrees with me big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-16 18:39:48

This didn't answer the question as much as I hoped... but, eh, maybe you'll find it or some of the other episodes helpful?
http://www.writingexcuses.com/2009/03/1 … y-hickman/

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-16 18:45:29

Dark, I think yours answers it much better than mine:)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-16 19:14:13

Thanks Cae, glad my random rambles did sort of come in handy big_smile.

if I was being critical I would wonder about tracy hickman and clichés, since I know the dragonlance books  much were written with D&D character sheets, then again since I've never read any of them I can't say  cliché they are, or more to the point how well written.

My lady did read one trilogy but they had such a damnably dismal and grim ending she never wanted to continue, though I suspect that was one in the middle of the series.

I might go and look through them at some stage, but it's not a priority not with all the amazingly good stuff that is out there that I want to read.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-17 10:53:24

Hey folks! Dragomier, I honestly see cliches and other predictable resources as pieces of a bigger pusle. They may or may not be used, it is up to you, but the thing is, you have to know those pieces are sometimes well known, so it requires more creativity to use them in a way they will be predictable, well placed, but the whole writing still original.
It is like hearing your favorite song, you probably heard the same thing 10 times or more, but it still amazes you.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-10-17 15:11:08

I will admit, Dragonlance is far more dismal than Forgotten Realms. After all, it is all about a world destroyed by magic and in the process of rebuilding and such. But that's not my point here. I like your article, Dark, and have been considering writing my own essay on the topic. But I ask this question mostly to better my writing habits. I'm about to go start a new story of mine, I just need to plot out my character.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-17 15:55:12

Glad you liked the article.
I've not read any dragon lance or forgotten realms yet.

I admit I tend to stay clear of D&d inspired stuff, since there seems to be on average more of a chance of getting something  formula and thus rather dull and predictable as I described in my article, though of course that isn't always the case, and even something formula can work if the writing is up to the task.

I also discussed a bit of this in my various book reviews which you can find here

I actually enjoy writing these and need to get back to doing them as I haven't done one for a few weeks, actually I expect I'll be starting my own writing projects soon enough.

2017-10-22 23:47:36

Okay so here's my thought on clichés, and mind you I'm not a writer.
Nor, will I ever be one.
clichés, are what they are, I mean everyone uses them in some way or other, even if you try an stay away from them.
so my answer is, it's not about whether you use clichés, it's how you use them.
I mean think about all those romance novels out there, or all those mystery/suspense novels out there. They all probably have some sort of cliché or other in them. But what differentiates the good writers from the great ones, is that the great writer knows how to use that cliché to their advantage.
To make it something totally different and their own.
I don't know if this is what you were asking or not, so if it isn't, I'm sorry for both my ignorance and rambling. smile

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-10-23 13:51:26

I'm not sure silvermoon. One reason I wrote my above article on "formulae" rather han specifically clichés or tropes is  it is far easier to define a formula, ie something that is  to create an expected result, than a cliché.

For example, one trilogy my lady and I read very recently was Robin Hobb's fitz fool series. One of the major plots in that series is that the main character's daughter is kidnapped. This on it's surface seems like the most cliché of clichés. Helpless little girl, big manly father and rescue bate.

yet I have rarely seen a plot so intensively portrayed. Bee, the kidnapped child had a huge part to play, almost half of the book was her story. She had huge interactions with her captors which ranged from helplessness to victimisation, to trying to escape, to understand what actually she had been kidnapped for, and finally not just growing up, but taking a massive amount of agency and actually exacting a pretty extreme revenge on the people who kidnapped her and having to change because of it, (really she could give Aria stark a series run for her money in the hard as nails nine year old girl steaks).

mean while, her father didn't just swoop in and do a rescue but had his own evolution to go through, meeting other characters, going through journeys and enacting changes to himself and the world.

This was a case where Hobb did use a formula, but certainly I would never have accused of being clichéd.

On the other hand,Peers Brown, one of the worst writers I've come across recently did! make an effort to have the women in his books be super tough, ---- right until said woman suddenly became helpless in time for the big manly hero to save her.
this certainly was! a cliche, and what is more, a cliche which went directly against the portrayal of the characters in the previous section of the book (for the full story, see my reviews of Peers brown's trilogy which were pretty dire imho).

Hope some of this makes sense.

2017-10-24 07:40:17

I pretty much agree with both Dark and Silver Moon here. Cliches, or in a broader scope, formulas are trend setting for a current era or genre of books, so it's not about using them that's good or bad, it's using them in a good or bad way.
I think a lot of trashy teen romance novels (yes, I'm probably looking at you, Twilight) contribute to the whole let's hate cliches ordeal, but imho that's like saying I hate swedish food just because you've tasted Surströmming (I mean what sane person wouldn't hate our food after that?). But Surströmming is certainly not incompassing the scandinavian food culture or anything like that, just as a set of bad cliches aren't necessarily the representative of trashy teen romance novels.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-10-24 14:46:55

Well any genre, even the ya fiction doesn't have to be ridden by clichés.
My lady and I both enjoyed  the hunger games, and I can highly recommend James Dashna's maze runner.

On the other hand as I said Peers Brown's red rising series were fairly awful, and I was not really that fond of Dan Wells' Partials, despite both of those series roughly the same ya distopea tradition as the hunger games.

That is one reason I tend to focus on the  use and predictability of formulae rather than simply their bare existence in a story and try to review every book individually looking at it's good and  points rather than just saying "this is a teen novel, so it's bad!"