2017-10-13 19:20:35

Because I need the money... I figured that would be the first answer necessary to sort of somewhat deal with the question of why.
But seriously, I need help resetting the thing to factory settings; is that even a thing?  what do I do?  I obviously don't want to ship it off to a stranger with all my info and apple ID and such on it.  I admit I never saw this one coming, but searching through settings I haven't yet found anything that would suggest it can be done, though it obviously can... I'd imagine it may be similar to formatting a PC on windows?  I dunno.
So, apple champs of ag net, I turn to you as I have in the past, what should I do?  Fire away.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-10-13 20:49:50

With the Mac powered off, press and hold command+r while turning it on. This should cause the machine to boot into recovery mode. At this point, give it a couple minutes before pressing Command F5. VoiceOver should turn on and you can continue. In the utilities table, select disk utility and activate the continue button. In Disk Utility, erase the Macintosh HD drive. When you're done, close Disk Utility and choose the reinstall macOS option in the list of options. Go through the prompts and give it about an hour or two to download and install the system. When it comes back up, press Command F5 and VoiceOver should start speaking using Alex. You should be in the Setup Assistant. At this point, press Command Q to quit and your computer will shut down. When the new person receives your Mac, he/she should be able to power it up and set it up as if it came brand new from Apple. All your data should be erased from the disk and the macOS installation should be squeaky clean.

The version of macOS that gets installed will depend on what version you were running. If you had Sierra, it will reinstall a new copy of Sierra. There is another form of recovery called internet recovery which will install the original system that came on the computer. Press Command Option r when booting and wait for it to load. This will take a little longer as it's going out to Apple's servers and downloading a large amount of data. I believe this only works if it detects a working install of the system on the drive with a valid wi-fi password it can use. If not, I think it will display a screen asking for your password. To my knowledge, this doesn't speak so you'll need someone with working eyeballs to help.

I hope this helps you out. If I missed something, I hope someone more knowledgeable can fill in the gaps.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-13 21:00:38

thank you a ton and a half and then some.  I will wait around a little while longer in the event anyone else has other enlightening tips or anything else to add to this topic.  If nothing else appears below this post, I shall go ahead as outlined in post 2 then declare this issue solved.  Thanks again.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-10-14 00:02:00

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have another computer you can fall back on? Just a little bit concerned.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-10-14 00:39:30

@shotgunshell,
Two, in fact.  I'm getting rid of my mac because realistically, A, it's the easiest to sell because, B, it's the most powerful of all the ones I have.  I appreciate the concern though and thank you for asking.
Trust me; it hasn't been an easy decision, even if it was simple enough to make.  One of our children is medically fragile and requires special formula.  While we qualify to receive it for free, a bunch of paper work needs to be filled out which is obviously, given beurocratic nonsense, going to take a ton of time, which means I need to pick up the slack for that amount of time.

2017-10-14 04:15:10

Hi, sorry to hear this Nocturnus. I know it is the hard decision to make. I know Mac is really powerful for most of the works. Since I've got my Mac, I really love it very much. Hope all goes well for you.