1 (edited by EternalGamer 2017-10-05 19:11:35)

Hello everyone!
This will be exciting news for all text adventure lovers. Bob Bates returns with a new commercial text adventure called Thaumistry, and it's accessible by design! You can read more about it at www.thaumistry.com.
Why is this amazing? Younger gamers might not know that Bob Bates worked at Infocom, the most successful text adventure publisher of all time, then later co-founded Legend Entertainment. For Infocom he designed Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels, and Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur. So a text game he releases is automatically canonical.
And before you ask, nobody's paying me to write this. I'm really that excited.
So why am I sitting here rambling rather than playing Thaumistry? Because it will be released to the general public tomorrow. It will be available on Steam as well as through the game's website as a direct download for Windows and Mac.
Let's have fun! Especially considering this is a comedy game.
Greetings,
E G

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

Thumbs up

[wow] the guy who composed the soundtracks for the Turrican games on the team? that sounds amazing if the accessibility is there.

I love Chris Hülsbeck  and Arthur is probably the infocom game I got on best with, so I might check this one out myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up

Hello again,
I stand guilty of some misinformation here. The game does not have a soundtrack. That was a Kickstarter stretch goal which was unfortunately not reached. I edited my initial post to reflect this.
Happy adventuring,
E G

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

Thumbs up

Hi.
How can you make sure the game will be fully accessible with screenreaders on Mac and Windows?

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

Thumbs up

I have tested this. It is accessible with windows with NVDA (using screen review, it does not speak text automatically but you can use the screen review like you do in wingit/winfrotz) and I suspect it would probably also be accessible with the jaws cursor.

Thumbs up

I scored 100 points in 1727 turns. It was a fun play, and took me about a half day to complete. Very interesting, but it still leaves some questions as to the premise. Would've liked there to be more cause and effect puzzles, but there were some points when the number of open puzzles seemed overwhelming. Anyhoo, it was a great birthday present!

A “critic” is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased—he hates all creative, people equally.
THE ONLY THING YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF...
IS YOUR OWN...
EXISTENCE...

Thumbs up

Hi!
@Sneak what screen reader did you use? In case it was NVDA, did you find a way to make it read automatically and/or to make it not present one paragraph per line?
[wow] I guess I'm slow. Scored 24 points in 3 hours or so.
Greetings,
E G

Thumbs up

Hi all.
Well I forwarded the link to this thread at bob and he is quite approachable.
So the issues will be fixed at least he will have a look.
For eternal gamer and others, there is a link to directly get the game but its not supposed to exist anymore.
Its only on steam though in a few weeks the direct download will happen.
At some point  of unknown time the tads 3 story file will also be readuy to go.
As far as the access issues and a few other things in this thread, bob says he is not sure what he can do but he will try.
I have asked him to appear hear, weather he does or not is unknown but well I hope this moves the topic along past 7 posts.

Thumbs up

Hello.

I have tested the game too.

From the information I received I believed that making NVDA read the text automatically is not possible, so I did not speak about the issue again.

Thumbs up