Hello everyone.

I came across this website on reddit and am quite excited to bring it to everyone on this forum.

It's called audiogame jam 2 and is all about challenging sighted developers to make their games accessible for the blind.

Here is the link, keep checking back on it today as the game jam starts in around 10 hours.

http://jams.gamejolt.io/audiogamejam2

I hope you enjoy.

Click on the website link for a Dropbox link to my zipped Harry Potter fan fiction folder. it's 3.72 GB zipped and around 9.7 gigs unzipped. Each author has their stories in their own folders and the stories are all in plain text format, dot txt. Enjoy.

Thumbs up +1

Is this when stuff gets posted, in around 10 hours, or is the Jam when they start creating their games?

Thumbs up

Hi Aaron.

I believe it's when games get posted.

Click on the website link for a Dropbox link to my zipped Harry Potter fan fiction folder. it's 3.72 GB zipped and around 9.7 gigs unzipped. Each author has their stories in their own folders and the stories are all in plain text format, dot txt. Enjoy.

Thumbs up

Hi everyone.

I just checked the page and there are no games uploaded yet. I thought that games would have been uploaded already but perhaps we have to wait for a couple of days.

Thumbs up

Hi.
[wow] this sounds exciting. I think I read the first post too qickly the first time I read it, because for some reason, I didn't understood what this was about... smile
I don't really like the idea of making developers to code anything in time, but rather let them take the time they need to develop something. Because of this, I feer that this will be a failure. But it would be awesome if just one playable game comes out of this...

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

Thumbs up

Hey SLJ.

I agree that coding with a time limit will be hard for the developers but as you said, if even one game is uploaded to the site, that will be great. There's nothing so far so let's see what happens.

Thumbs up

If this year's event is anything like last year's then most games will be uploaded within the last few days of the jam, in this case from the 12th to the 15th of October. Late submissions are also allowed if developers can't quite make the deadline

Thumbs up

Do devs sometimes plan out things in advance as well? For instance, even though they might not be able to start making the game until the Jam starts, I'm wondering if they plan out their designs.

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything about this jam until today (when it started). So I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull anything halfway decent together in time.

But hopefully we get some cool stuff out of this!

Roar, I'm a dinosaur
Vector Map Editor (alpha)

Thumbs up

aaron wrote:

Do devs sometimes plan out things in advance as well? For instance, even though they might not be able to start making the game until the Jam starts, I'm wondering if they plan out their designs.

It's probably planned to some degree. I'm sure most people participating will go into it with some idea of what they'd like to make and at least a basic plan of how they'd do it.

Thumbs up

It's going to be interesting.

Thumbs up

Just thought I'd mention this here as well as on the developer forum: I have a few VI/blind people looking to act as playtesters for Audiogame Jam games. If anyone is interested send me a direct message and I'll give you their email address or other contact details.

Thumbs up

Anyone here who speaks Spanish may be interested to learn that the game studio Rising Pixel has organised their own Audiogame Jam tie-in event on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria.

I expect this will lead to a few interesting Spanish language audiogames. You can find more information on their event at the following URL: http://jams.gamejolt.io/audiogamejamgc/en-home

Thumbs up

Well folks, we have 12 new audiogames to play. But here's the kicker. The devs do not seem to be entering game descriptions, only saying that these games are made in audiogame jam 2. I think, for the next jam, there needs to be a rule that says that there should be a description of what the game is about, and that the audiogame jam bit should be put after that description.

Thumbs up

If you look at their pages on gamejolt, there are descriptions there, for what it's worth.

Some of my games
Keep up to date by following @Jeqofire on twitter!
Ear Ninja?

Thumbs up

How can we try these games out?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

Thumbs up

Hi,
I'll put the link below. How this works is you click the name of the game you want, and that then brings up an activity feed, there's a view game option on that page.
I've managed to try out one game so far, retro rush, I like the sound design in it. However, I can't get the game called Free Falling to work properly. After a while, the window seems to close, but the application file remains open, and you have to end the process. I don't know what's going on there.

Thumbs up

There was no link in your message.
What about the links from gamejolt, so I can read the description of the game and the instructions?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

Thumbs up

To be honest, I tried out all the games thus far.
About the only one I really liked was the forrest one using mouse and keyboard.
the zombie one was fine but not all weapons made sound.
The rest well.
Technically we can play 8 of them only.
There are 8 to download maybe 9, you have to doodle about to get them.
They are all unity games and just work.
The reason I say that only 8 can be played, well 1 is alexa only.
If you have an apple or droid with alexa app on it or have an amazon device you can play it, bugger the rest of us.
One is fine for android as long as you know how to get unsigned apps on to your device.
2 of them had play links that didn't work and while they probably needed unity or some other player I couldn't see it worth bothering for a 2 minute fling.
Sadly I am disapointed in the games.
while they have all got potential none of them have any real playability.
They are just crappy concepts which are fine for concepts but thats it.
Run, play delete.
I spent 1 hour running through all the games I could play.
Some I ran a couple times.
I do think a longer jam needs to be run for well something with a bit more power.
I mean concepts are fine and dandy especially for new  devs, but I want something to get dirty with.
The hype of this was up the result is over to quickly.
I think I will have more fun updating windows 10 tomorrow rather than playing these games which is actually not that fun since nothing yet has updates for it for the new system bar office which means I am going to get a headake.

Thumbs up

Here are some direct links to all the game pages:
Dead Dice
The Forest That Lost Its Voice
Jungeon Jrawler
Retro_Rush
Mosquitoes and Zombies
Mecha-Planet Escape VR (Gear VR, for Android smartphones)
Lab Invaded
Bleat
Alexa Word Chain (Requires an Amazon Echo or other Alexa-compatible device)
Dark Sounds
Shepard's Crazy Stairs
Free Falling
The Good, The Bad and The Blind (I think this game is Spanish language only)

The games are made by developers and hobbyists of varying skill levels and experience in a very short time frame. I hope everyone finds something they like.

Thumbs up

It reminds me of the good ol days of the experimental audiogames, and it feels like a successor to that event. I love it, and I can't wait for Audiogame Jam iii in 2018!

Thumbs up

22 (edited by JasonBlaze 2017-10-17 17:44:38)

hi...
yep, at least they tryed, right?
it's a good start, aktualy, who knows the crappy will become the best next time big_smile
so let's not discourage them guys haha.
I appreciate with what they do smile
this is why sighted developer always run away from us... all we do just complaining about this and that... sad

Thumbs up

Everything I read about blind gaming communities (including this forum,) had been very positive. Places like this have a reputation for being friendlier and more willing to work positively and constructively with game developers than most other gaming communities.

Whenever I do receive negative feedback I try not to take it personally and there's usually a failing in my planning, organisation, communication or some other aspect of the jam that has led to this. It's something I can build upon and improve next time.

Thumbs up

Hi.
Remember that the developers had very limited time to make those games. This is one of the reasons for I hate time limites. It's amazing we even got that many games to play. [wow]...

Best regards SLJ.
If you like the post, then please give it a thumps up.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Happy gaming... :D

Thumbs up

Well I know this is good for concepts, but is there any reason the jam could be extended or a longer jam not just for those wanting a challenge but for those wanting to make a serious game.
I do realise that time is limited and the concepts can be good one year or bad the next.
However saying that the issue for me is this.
What do you want your users to come away with at the end of your jam.
Do you want them to say this is an interesting concept, I can't wait for the next one, or do you want them to say, ok thats that done next jam.
For me while the concepts are good for concepts, I am a serious gamer, not the best not a piece of crapyness but somewhere in the middle.
Now I know its a big ask to make a serious gamer happy, but the playability just wasn't there.
Ofcause these are concepts and thats fine.
However I do wander for those that have potential if they could be expanded and even get them to good games.
I never got the mosquitos game or the stair game though it was interesting in sound work.
The forest one really jelled with me, the finding different sounds a good tutorial, but after that was over it could be the start of another story.
The rest, well the fact I couldn't download 2 of them and the fact that 2 of them were for other oses and not for pc users meant I couldn't play them.
One thing for users should be that they are easy to install, a general user can not install android apps just by transfering the file unless they doodle about.
If I am as dumb as a post blind beginner I wouldn't feel confortable about trying to install a android package on my device lest I break it.
One thing I'd like is that if all games were downloadable as well as playable online in case of brouser issues and the like.
The other thing, if its  possible is that I'd like a text game jam in the style of interactive fiction this can be audio ofcause or well glulx inform7 zcode tads and etc, etc, etc.
Or twine I do like that language a lot.
I also think that if we had a longer time for this or even another jam spacifically for those that did the jam and others to write a game in 2-6 months it would allow bigger players to handle it.
I'd even go so far is to make it competition based with prises of cash, software, hardware, other games and the like.
Heck go further and have users able to play for free but also have users donate via paypal and buy into the thing have some sort of insentive.
Right now, I was able to go [wow] that was interesting load of concepts, totally crappy, lets leave it.
However if I got into it and had a reson to well not just flat out not try then that could be interesting.
WHen I played the games I was like, well lets run the games but if they don't run or they don't play or my security program flags them I won't bother because they are probably not worth playing anyway.
I really look forward to each jam last year had some interesting games but this year I just don't know.
It doesn't help that space explorer and sbyw have been going up and up and from playing something like those especially scroling battles down to these well.

Thumbs up