2017-10-07 19:19:03

So I would like to start programming my self. I have had experience basic and stuff like that. Theese are my questions.
1 how do you learn programming, what is the best way to read code with nvda?
2. I am not sure how to translate what I want to make into code.
3. I am planning on making a dorm management program. Basicly it has student sign in and sign out logs, log book, and a generator for generating dorm jobs and student reports. It would also keep track of student room assignments. I'm thinking of doing this in sql as a sql database. But I'm not sure how I could get the data from the sql database to be searchable in a program and have the data display in the program. I'm not even sure how to translate this to python code or ware even to start. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I hope you all can answer my questions.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-10-07 20:09:54 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2017-10-07 20:16:23)

Hi,
well, it is not that complicated as it seems.

1. someones will not agree with me, but I am still thinking, that notepad and command line is the best practice to code in all languages.
2. Just try, don't ask if you will or will not know how to do it. Problems will solve themselves when you approach them.
3. My recommendation is to use Sqlite3, it is very easy, you are just sending commands to the database and receiving output in tuples, very simple, there are also good tutorials how to do it. For example, I learned from:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/sqlite3.html

The rest depends completely on your programming style.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Rastislav

2017-10-08 01:53:01

Hi HurstSeth405.
Well the best way to read code with nvda is to turn up symbol reading to most or all You can do this by pressing your NVDA modifier key with p several times, or go into the nvda menu and going to preferences than synthesizer. Either way works. This will help you read through code by reading all symbols, parens, braces, quotes, brackets, and other things. If you have the punctuation level set to some or none this will make things much harder because you wil have to read one character at a time symbol by symbol. The best way to learn code is to read a book about it or google code snipets or read examples or full programs.
Now as far as turning your ideas into code I'll try and describe it but it's difficult. So you have code that when put all together makes programs as you want them. What you need to do is just have it written properly. You might have your program display a number of dorm members in at the moment while waiting for a key press or mouse click to switch into something else like a menu to get signed in or out. You do this with loops and if statements and printing and things like that. The trick is to learn how to see python code in normal things. I can picture code in my head when I'm doing things. If I'm going through a menu in a game, I can picture what the programmer needed to code that particular menu. Not everybody is like this but you can see what I mean.
I hope this helped you a little, I tried to explain it as best I could. I'm still learning myself so someone might be able to explain coding better than me. I hope this answered some of your questions.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-08 07:00:33

@1:
1. Set your punctuation to most or all, whichever you like best. Any other punctuation level is insufficient.
2. Translating what you want to do into code can be tricky for certain people. For me it's very easy, but that's just me. My best suggestion to you would be to learn a programming language like C++ or C# and, as you learn, attempt to translate the code you see into a language only you understand. If you can do that, then you'll soon find yourself writing code like a machine gun. (I'm not kidding.)
3. This type of program can't just be done in SQL. You can put the data in SQL, sure, but you can't make SQL display windows or make web pages. For something like this, you've got lots of options. You could do this in PHP (which would probably be the easiest for something like this) because it allows you to mix HTML and PHP together.
If you don't know HTML very well, check you may wish to check out the Web Developers Reference Guide, by Joshua Johanan, Talha Khan, and Ricardo Zea, ISBN 978-1-78355-213-9. It covers HtML, CSS, Javascript, Bootstrap, and Angular.JS. For learning PHP, I'd recommend the books Learning PHP7, by Antonio Lopez, ISBN 978-1-78588-054-4, and Mastering PHP7, by Branko Ajzele, ISBN 978-1-78588-281-4. I don't have any books on SQL though, since there are so many damn dialects of it. Fortunately for you,, I found a few. For an introductory book to SQL (which I might have to read myself, ha!) I'd recommend SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL (3rd Edition), by John L. Viescas and Michael J. Hernandez, ISBN 978-0-32199-247-5; followed SQL: The Complete Reference, 3rd Edition, by James R Groff (Author), Paul N. Weinberg, Andy Oppel (Author), ISBN 978-0-07159-255-0. You can buy them both at https://www.amazon.com/SQL-Queries-Mere … Src=detail and https://www.amazon.com/SQL-Complete-Ref … rc=detail. Note that the article I used to get these books (http://whatpixel.com/best-sql-books) may be out of date. It does, however, recommend other books. Here's an example of accessing a database in PHP:

<?php
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');
if (!$link) {
    die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?> 

And this example shows you how to connect via host:port syntax:

<?php
// we connect to example.com and port 3307
$link = mysql_connect('example.com:3307', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');
if (!$link) {
}
mysql_close($link);
// we connect to localhost at port 3307
$link = mysql_connect('127.0.0.1:3307', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');
if (!$link) {
}
mysql_close($link);
?>

Hope you enjoy!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-08 18:42:30

hi.I am not a very good programmer, taking that only thing that I have coded is some stupid math programs, but here are the things.
1. It's the best to set your punctuation level to all or most, as someone said all reddsy some or  none is not verbose enough. Also an other suggestion is to use a voice like eloquence or e speak, because vokolizer make you asleep, and, that's not that you shurely not look forward to. big_smile
2. well, it's the best to first start with an complete idea, like to magine a woke froo of the program. That will help you understand how is program expected to do things and will help later. Also, it's the best to start from something independent like objects and functions other then main.
3. I cant answer this question because I have never delt with sql, so I will leave it to the others.
hope this helps

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-10-09 00:26:40

Hi Ethin.
I was wondering, can I make a text game with PHP? I want to write a story and I want a style similar to a game like the allure of wanton cove. What I mean is a game that runs like awebpage with different choices you can make. I can do this with python but I think it would be quicker with php.
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-10-09 01:25:02

Forums and wikis tend to be written in php, (or they were last decade, at least), if that tells you anything. smile
Javascript might be easier, if it's singleplayer. But I might be biased because I never got anywhere with php. This might be more my webhost's fault, but eh.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-09 05:46:27

Hi Cae.
Interesting. Yes that does tell me what I need to know. What are your thoughts on HTML?
I've seen javascript syntax and it looks simple enough, I might give that a try also. Was it you or someone else on here that had trouble making audiogames with javascript? I don't intend to make audiogames with javascript, just trying to think of what to do in the future. I think I'll give javascript a run, see if I can whip up a test story.
thanks.

Guitarman.

2017-10-09 16:26:17

HTML is straightforward until you try to make it look super stylish (why sighted people have such a problem with plaintext and simple layouts, I'm not sure I'll ever understand). The trouble with Javascript and Audio Games is the audio part. Servers and clouds and infinite internet and specific browsers and *head explodes*.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-10 00:32:16

Hi Cae. Yeah I don't understand that either, if it's not filled with images and colorful text, sighted people won't even look at it. I remember I had an english teacher in college that said she couldn't read a book unless it has images in it. I mean it was supposed to be english where you read books, not picture appreciation!
@HurstSeth405, I'm done high-jacking your topic, I just had a few questions, we can get back to what you wanted now.

Guitarman.

2017-10-10 05:18:11

Its allright man

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m