2017-10-05 21:55:37

Hi,
Apart from the Japanese games, what text rpgs are around? I have the following:
kerkruip
flexible survival
the Choice of Games
Avast yee maities
Am wondering what else is around, doesn't matter if ther's a story or not, and doesn't particularly matter if the battle system is good or bad as long as ther's a way to battle monsters, gain exp and level up. Questing and story is just a bonus for now. I don't think Eamon Deluxe still doesn't work on win7 64 bit so I think that's out of the question.

2017-10-07 09:21:22 (edited by defender 2017-10-07 09:28:50)

You can use a virtual machine if you want, to run Emon, or so I've heard.
XP can run pretty well on 1.5 or 2GB of RAM.
So if your computer has at least 6, you should be fine.
I haven't done it my self though so you'd have to ask how, but I don't think it's that hard.

As for other ones, just go to the games link on the front page of audiogames.net and choose Roll playing in the combo box for category selection.
I was curious my self, and I've already played world of legend, just finished it actually, it mostly kinda sucks, but it's got it's moments...

There are also some really good old gamebooks at the arborell archive, you can find it from the choose a game box on the front page.

Then there's  choose your story, lots of crap on their but it's got a nice sorting system that lets you filter by rating.
From what I remember, dead man walking, ground zero, eternal, and order of the midnight sun were all good, and their are others that aren't as epic like mommy can I go out to kill tonight and such, but they still have allot of charm.

2017-10-07 11:06:27

Hi Aaron.
Well there's plenty around. Try DelightGames premium, choose your story, the allure of wanton cove (this just came out and it's a text game with a few rpg elements. This is a very adult game so be careful. I'm full grown and it scared me to death),), there was a sci-fi text game for iOs but the name slipped my mind, flexible siciety, and that's all I can think of, I'll post when i think of more.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-07 13:40:45

In addition to what defender and Guitarman have said I'll also note a few more. There are treasures of a slavers kingdom and wumpus 2000, both if titles like kerkerkruip but with proper rpg mechanics.
There are several dos games which possibly can be run in dosbox I don't know, it's a shame since fallthru particularly rocks.

If we're talking gamebooks there is also the fighting fantasy project and project aon, and indeed the chronicles of arborell, the ff project gamebooks particularly have statistical combat, as I believe do the delight games ones on Ios though I'm not sure.

speaking of Ios, there is a dark room, the ensign, king of dragon pass, nano empire (though that one is a little more of a strategy game I think), I don't know how the adventure to fate games are doing at the moment but they're worth a play if they will still work, hopefully touchmint will update them to work with ios 10 and 11.

there are possibly more I'm missing, but check the db.
Also don't forget that there are now a few browser games at least and oddly enough of a couple of muds that are actually more single player than multiplayer.
I'm thinking particularly here of puppet nightmares which has actual story, heavy combat and very optional pvp, and in muds of Frandom which is virtually a giant text rpg or if game in it's own right.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-07 19:29:42

Hi,

all of the offline possibilities are already mentioned. I want to add sryth to the list as well.

http://www.sryth.com

lots of good story driven quests on there. I power it up every so often in search of a cool quest to undertake to enjoy the style of writing.
a non-premium player can access 2.000 pages i thought .. but a member of the adventurers guild (a premium player) can acces a few 10.000's of pages more. It sounds cruel, paying for a membership, i did at first as well, but i don't regred it at all, seen the huge amount of content wich gets free.
truely a very cool change, when i am bored of listening to an audiobook, a very awsome change big_smile

hth

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2017-10-09 06:04:32

Hello.
Well I had a question are there any good sci-fi text games? Not muds, I've had enough of fantasy and sci-fi muds. I'm talking text games that have alien invasions, planet exploration, spaceships, mysteries, computers, artifacts, and things you would find in sci-fi movies and books. I checked out junction gate the other day and it got me in the mood to play more games like that or at least similar ones.
Thank You.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order