@Green Gables Fan, just a small recommendation: I wouldn't use Vinux if I were you. If you do, your pretty much locked into not updating anything -- because if you do it breaks everything.
@75, yes, it still uses old libraries -- very, very old libraries. But it's a very good synth and works excellently with Emacspeak. As for why you should use Emacspeak, Orca doesn't work with Emacs at all. Emacspeak provides a hell of a lot of awesome features to improve your Emacs experience.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

Right, but why use that? Why not just use the base system?  It seems to be installing a whole system, then installing yet another system.

Thumbs up

@blindndangerous, because while the base system offers you all the features that Emacs does, Emacs provides you all of them in one single installable package. Furthermore, Emacs is extremely extensible (though I've never been able to grasp LISP... Gah!) There are probably a hell of other reasons I don't know about, too, but it's an all around great program.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.

Thumbs up

So then why not make emax a distro on it's own?

Thumbs up

hey.  by they way what is e mac speek  its a screen reader  plese tell me

Thumbs up

I installed emacspeak using the Sudo apt-get install command in the terminal, but now I can't figure out how to quit Orca and launch Emacspeak. I heard that DECtalk could run on it.
Also, I installed RS Games, which uses Python-eSpeak, but I can't figure out how to change the speech rate or other voices to get the one I want. The speech rate is too slow, and the inflection is too low.

Thumbs up

Hello!
Now I have a problem:
QT-atspi doesn't work for me. I have it installed and QT apps are still inaccessible. I am using arch linux, any ideas what I have screwed up?

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach
Tolko zdrave na taz kyshcha

Thumbs up

this is a general Linux issue and one that's baffling me... without going near the Orca keys, seem to activate stuff without touching it....I can be typing away and go to put a space between words and preferences will appear despite me not hitting instert and space...

Ideas?

Oh and also my touchpad randomly decides having my hands above it is cause to throw my cursor across the screen, is that just down to the distro I'm running?

I type pretty quick but I for some reason

Thumbs up

What distro are you using?
I had a similar issue with SOnar, now on Antergos everything is OK

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach

Thumbs up

Running Zorrin at the moment and I'm starting to think it may be a zorrin or hardware issue as I'm not sure if it's my touhpad being a dumbass or Zorrin not liking my Vostro laptop much...

Speaking of distros, am I right to do this

sudo dd if=knoppix.iso of=dev/sdb bs=4 syncm

Where the knoppix.iso is the iso I want to put on the USB drive, the of = is the dev/sdb which the startup creator in Zorrin, Ubuntu base lists as SDB and lsblk lists sdb as disk

Last Q: Is it worth it to try installing Sonarr given my desktop (I currently got Solus on there) is older and the newer desktops lag, or manage to put Adriene on there and run with that or what? I like Solus, but.....I use FF for my browsing and it lags like crazy.

Thumbs up

Hello guys!
How can I start orca on Ubuntu 17.10? Control + super + s does not work

Thumbs up

I didn't know there was a 17.10. I just know about 16.04 Xenial Xerus.
Are you using this on a virtual machine? Maybe there is a command line feature to enable it?

Thumbs up

First of all, it's alt plus super plus S, second, if it doesn't work, try pressing alt f2 and type 'orca'. Warning! It will crash during the installation process.

Raduvay se, raduvay
Raduvay se domaki ne
Kolko liste po gorach

Thumbs up