2017-10-07 01:46:07

Hi.
I'm interested in starting watching the stargate movies and tv shows. I'm not sure where to start. I googled this, and there seems to be many different opinions on which order to watch the various shows and movies in. I'm assuming I should start with sg-1 since that sounds like the start but I'm not sure. Could someone clear this up for me? Also, the movie vault doesn't have any of the stargate shows and only one of the movies, is the show easy to understand without audio description?
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-07 04:25:49

The old 90's Stargate movie is first, followed by SG1.  There are a few small storyline changes between the movie and the show, but those were caused by changes the director was pressured into making on the movie, because it wasn't believed there would be money for the show and it made sense to "dumb down" things so the story would fit easier into a single stand-alone movie.

After SG1 watch Atlantis.  Then watch the Ark of Truth, and Stargate Continuum, which are each movies made to tie up loose ends after the SG1 and Atlantis series ended.

Finish up with Stargate Universe and you're all caught up.  Enjoy!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-10-07 14:46:19

I saw the old stargate nineties film, but haven't particularly got into any of the series or later films.
How do they stack up  something like Babylon 5 or ds9? eg, good characters, ongoing plot, interesting aliens etc?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-07 16:09:18

I think, you can skip "Stargate Universe", since the show was canceled after season 2. And that season ended with a cliffhanger, as far as I know.
And yes, the shows can be watched without description, in my opinion. The movie though, you should watch with description, since all the alien talk is with subtitles.

2017-10-07 17:57:11

I personally think the overall stargate franchise turned out better than DS9, and I haven't seen enough Babylon 5 to really say.  I wouldn't skip Stargate Universe even if it was canceled after the 2nd season.  I won't say anything to spoil it, but the cliff hanger at the end has been accepted as the actual ending.  Some of the best stories don't end with the heroes overcoming all of the challenges, and when taken as the final episode, the ending to that series is just one of those situations.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-10-07 21:21:17

Maybe that is true. I must admit, I never watched Universe til it's end. I watched the first season, but I never really got into that show. To me, it always looked like, the writers wanted to recreate the atmosphere of Battlestar Galactica. The remake, not the show from the 80s.

2017-10-08 02:06:23

Hi The Player.
Is there a copy of the movie with audio description? If so I haven't found it. Could you post a link or tell me where I can find a copy? Itunes doesn't have it audio described either.
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-10-08 10:18:52

@Guitarman:
I actualy thought, I have seen it in the Movie Valut on Blindmicemegamall. But I just checked. They don't have it. I don't know, if a described version actually exists...

2017-10-08 16:00:43

The player, yes that's definitely true.  The people who made Stargate Universe wanted to try out a completely different style for that series, and it reminded me of Battlestar Galactica too.  I never enjoyed it in the same way I enjoyed SG1 or Atlantis, but it was still good in its own way.  As long as someone watches it as its own style, and isn't comparing it to how SG1 and Atlantis were done, I think it earns its place in the Stargate franchise.

One thing that really makes Universe different is that in SG1 and Atlantis I never found myself wondering who would live and who might die in the next week's episode.  Those shows just didn't work like that.  In Universe however, the individual episodes don't have the same rewatchability but they keep you wondering what bad things are going to happen to the characters.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-10-09 00:35:16

Hi.
Aprone, Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!
The rest of you thank you also this really helps a lot.

Guitarman.