2017-10-02 02:22:30

Hi.
I've been going through the free version of this book, now I only get a sample. Why is this no longer free? It just refers me to learn ruby the hard way, I would do this but I don't like ruby's syntax. This is not on bookshare and the book costs 30 usd. I don't understand why something good like this is turning into a scam. I don't have the money to just blow like that. I love programming, and I like the style of the book. I could switch to another language, but I don't want to do that right now. I would prefer to use python. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-02 02:58:04 (edited by magurp244 2017-10-02 03:19:22)

Well, it seems pages past chapter 8 have been cut off with a payment request put in. How disappointing. There are many other books around however, such as [Practice Python], [Using Python], and [Dive into Python], among others.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-10-02 04:37:36

I have the hole book here as a pdf and an epub or what ever it's called but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it. also it's revision 3 so I don't know how old it is.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-10-02 04:52:03

Hi SirBadger.
I sent you a pm.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-10-02 12:05:33

luckily i managed to finish the entire book.
is disappointing, really, that now has become payed
i thought that was payed for python3 only

Paul

2017-10-02 15:06:51

oh yeah it was really really helpful.
luckily fro me that i completed the book. also you can learn from tutorials point,
they have a grate tutorials

2017-10-02 23:33:38

maybe check web.archive.org. They might have an archived version of the thing before it was made fully paid.

2017-10-03 17:02:46

there is also tpb. I'm sure you can find a pdf of it on there.

2017-10-04 16:37:03

MODERATION:

@JimmyDub maybe so, but we don't discuss or endorse piracy on here. The material is generally available, so please pay for it if you benefit from it, encourage others to do likewise and don't do this again. Thanks. This is a first warning.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-10-06 05:01:40

How about let's pay an author for his work.  Seriously.  He put time, effort, and desire into the product.  so he's not making it free.  pay him.  It's not a foreign concept.  If you didn't go through the book for the years it was free, that's on you.  It's $30.00.  If you can't afford it, save.

2017-10-06 06:26:10 (edited by Sebby 2017-10-07 23:33:52)

well if it was free it should stay free. I won't pay shit for that. also so much for freedom of speech on this forum. [Post truncated by Sebby to comply with rules.]

2017-10-06 16:45:11

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you should encourage piracy, which is against the rules on the forum as far as I'm aware.

Also whether the book remains free or not is entirely up to the author. Yeah, it sucks that it's not free anymore, but it's his right to put a price on it. It's like Swamp or STW going paid.

If you really want the free version that used to be available, it's probably up on web.archive.org like I said. I haven't looked so I'm not entirely sure.

2017-10-06 19:18:50 (edited by Ethin 2017-10-06 19:21:21)

Also, piracy isn't just against the rules on this forum -- it's against the law. Pay for it. You can spend $30.00 at least. And if you can't, save up for it. It's not that hard... unless you love wasting money that is and barely leave yourself enough to pay for your Ting phone bill. And, FYI, the only Learn Python the Hard Way that's on TPB is Python 2. Get over the fact that it's paid and pay for it. The only time i'd endorse cracking anything -- excuse this portion of this post please, mods -- is if the product is extraneously overpriced (like JAWS, for instance). Even then that's pushing my tolerance. But this book is only $30.00. Yeah, I spent nearly $100.00 on Programming in Ada 2012 and that came from a fucking university. Grow up and get over it. And I also spent nearly $300.00 on textbooks for college that I couldn't even read, as it turned out. As I said, grow up and pay for it.
Also, have you considered the various possibilities that the author had when he made it paid? Perhaps he didn't have enough money to continue making it free so had no other choice. Perhaps he wanted some form of contribution for his hard work.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-07 07:25:02

na I'd rather just keep doing things my way. and that's what I was looking for anyway. the one for python 2. and I doubt you have gone your whole life without pirating something. people that say they never do or never did are bullshit artists

2017-10-07 07:26:18

and you seriously shouldn't tell people to grow up. just think back to what you did at the end of may this year. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at there. I'll leave it at that though.

2017-10-07 19:18:49 (edited by Ethin 2017-10-07 19:19:56)

@JimmyDub, I will admit that I have pirated things -- who hasn't? And there's definitely growing up that I need to do. But at least I'm going to buy the book tongue. Ah... wait a minute -- I already have a book about learning Python. Granted, it ain't the Learning Python3 the Hard Way, but it's probably just as good. Then again I haven't read the Learning Python3 the Hard Way book yet, so...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-07 23:46:54

MODERATION:

All right, that's enough.

@JimmyDub you've been told. No piracy on the forum. If you want to do that, and you can't bring yourself to pay peanuts for things, then do your piracy off the forum. Those are the rules. We tolerate a lot of free speech on this forum, but not direct endorsements of piracy. Even if it weren't the decent thing to do, the fact is that we derive a lot of the value of this forum by rewarding people for hard work.

So, no piracy. Thank you.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-10-08 19:25:49

i completely agree with dub and what he has said before. don't try to police people to not talk and give out links etc. since everyone has done it at least once and you jsut come of like a jurk if you tell people to do something that you've done multiple times in the passed probably.
besides. why should we even pay for something that has been free before? i mean why pay for something when you easely can get it for free. now if the product in question is worth paying for and it's cheap so why not? otherwise i've rather save money than buy something that has been free in the passed.
so yes. thanks dub for posting where this book can be obtained for free

2017-10-08 20:05:29

Not going to stick my foot in the moderation cases and sure as heck not going to burn myself on the piracy issue, but I will say this.
Zed Shaw, the author of LPTHW, has a very ...odd way of looking at the world and at Python in general. A lot of programmers, myself included, simply cannot recommend his books, partly due to a post he made regarding Python 3 a few months ago. This making a supposedly free resource paid really doesn't surprise me, but if you want my honest opinion, 30 dollars are better spent elsewhere. If you want to learn Python, there's tons and tons of free, up-to-date resources out there. Have a look at the reddit for learning python for a huge list.
These links are completely legal, so no piracy or anything, and often redditors have commented with their opinions on resources so youcan make an educated guess on what resource will work for you. Learn Python the hard way? I think not.

2017-10-08 22:45:36

sito wrote:

i completely agree with dub and what he has said before. don't try to police people to not talk and give out links etc. since everyone has done it at least once and you jsut come of like a jurk if you tell people to do something that you've done multiple times in the passed probably.
besides. why should we even pay for something that has been free before? i mean why pay for something when you easely can get it for free. now if the product in question is worth paying for and it's cheap so why not? otherwise i've rather save money than buy something that has been free in the passed.

thanks sito, and I shall continue to be the man for everyone's piracy needs until the end.

2017-10-08 22:46:37

Zersiax wrote:

Not going to stick my foot in the moderation cases and sure as heck not going to burn myself on the piracy issue, but I will say this.
Zed Shaw, the author of LPTHW, has a very ...odd way of looking at the world and at Python in general. A lot of programmers, myself included, simply cannot recommend his books, partly due to a post he made regarding Python 3 a few months ago. This making a supposedly free resource paid really doesn't surprise me, but if you want my honest opinion, 30 dollars are better spent elsewhere. If you want to learn Python, there's tons and tons of free, up-to-date resources out there. Have a look at the reddit for learning python for a huge list.
These links are completely legal, so no piracy or anything, and often redditors have commented with their opinions on resources so youcan make an educated guess on what resource will work for you. Learn Python the hard way? I think not.

I'll check that out. thanks.

2017-10-08 23:07:10

JimmyDub wrote:
sito wrote:

thanks sito, and I shall continue to be the man for everyone's piracy needs until the end.

Lol. Okay then. Keep disregarding the rules. See where it gets you.

2017-10-12 02:57:51

I think everyone's pirated, I sure have, quite a lot actually. That being said, I do buy things if I either enjoy them, they serve my needs, etc. Especially in the audio game circle, where devs need that positive reinforcement, and the continued revenue to keep working on new stuff. That being said, I do keep it off the forum, because its only right to respect the rules in place here, its like going into someone's immaculately kept house with your muddy boots, tracking all over the place as they look at you with shock and horror, and you're just either oblivious, or don't care. Go ahead and do what ya do, but its gonna catch up with you.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-10-12 14:09:30

hey guise, although I have also done some very not leagul things in this nature, but I don't, and never will, support piracy. Authors have worked on it, and they deserve to get something of it. And, piracy is not at all the freedom of speech.
And, does someone know a book or something about how to make audiogames using python? Maybe a reference and stuf. And, is this pythons problem that most Games made in it are laggy? I am talking about RSGames, don't know did they code that client of there's badly or is this a python problem

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-10-12 18:02:19

I think it's a Python problem. Python is interpreted, and the only way to make it a native executable is to bundle the python interpreter along with it (Cython doesn't cut it any more).

My Github