2017-09-23 10:33:41

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Python has encryption libraries, so it is definitely possible to make it harder to get to sounds. In regards to switching to another language, the more low-level you go, the more harder it will be to reverse-engineer the game. But using something like C++, from what I've heard and red, is not an easy task. Your best bet is probably to just use encryption in python, and use a name/key system for the game. People who will crack your game would probably not buy it either, so the time spent on securing the registration system will most likely not get you much money in return

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-09-23 16:17:56

See, this is why I love you guys. You help me in the areas where I'm a bit ignorant.

I haven't thought of a company nname or a place to host. I haven't got that far yet. As far as the voice actors you've listed...like I said, that's the last item on my list. A couple of the people on that list I can fairly safely say I won't be contacting though, as their voices just aren't suited to what I'm after. I'm actually pretty picky in some regards; if I'm gonna do voicework in this game, I want it to be of a certain quality (not caliber, as in how good it is, since I don't doubt that, but quality, as in possessed of certain qualities). So it might be a bit of a hunt to find people who fit. But let's cross that bridge if we get there.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-09-23 16:38:06

I had said a while ago that I was interested in At least chatting about it with you. I heard nothing. If you had sent me a pm here i don't read those so that just went into the either. let me know how we can get in touch. i have Skype, twitter, and facetime etc...

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2017-09-23 19:13:59

Jayde,

Check your private messages.

2017-09-24 23:34:44

@ jade one other programmer I would highly recommend is Cae Jones. His coding skills are really, really good, and I think coding this wouldn't be too much of a problem for him. Just something I thought about, and a person who everyone else has neglected. He's made some really, really intricate games, and having someone to help him organize his myriad ideas seems like just the ticket to helping him to build a blockbuster. He's easy to work with and expedient as well.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2017-09-24 23:45:01

Hi.
That's a good idea. He is really good. I love the jla and jequcon console. I do know he's beta testing a new game but it's worth a shot. Jade, you should send him a pm and see if he's interested. Or hopefully he might see this topic and post here. Plus he's made some copies of mainstream games like super mario and sonic, so he probably has an idea of what mainstream games are like.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-09-25 02:03:11

Please, don't make it turn based. That, for me at least, takes all the thrill and speed out of a fight, and turns into what option from what menu will I choose next? I prefer live action realtime fighting in witch the character could run away, or slash whildly, things like that. If its possible to do so in a game without increasing the size of it, turn based battles should be an optional thing.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-25 03:18:32

Hi.
Well that's an interesting concept rory. We can discuss changing the interface but your right that will increase the size of the game drastically. I would have to code one then the other. Which I have no problem doing, it just takes hard work and a lot of lines of code lol!
@Jayde, what do you think about ory's post. Would you like to have an option for turn-based combat and an option for live action. Do you have your heart set on turn-based? Either way I'm good with doing the work.
I think of it this way, I can code this, but it's your game so it's your decision.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2017-09-25 15:54:03

Hello Jaide, we at tiflojuegos are interested about you project.
If you want, you can contact us.
We have  one or two enthusiast programmers (one is currently studying and me that I'm nearby to complete my carrier)  two enthusiast sound editors, and two or three spanish translators that can translate if you want the game to spanish too tongue

2017-09-25 19:51:08

while we're on the topic of translation, I could volunteer to translate the game into German to bring it to a wider audience. Not voice dialogue, but I can translate any text in the game.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-09-25 22:07:26

I personally prefer live action combat, that's just me. I feel like it makes games much more emersive, not sure how anyone else feels about this though

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-26 17:37:06

Okay, guys,
I've got a lot of things to field here, a lot of offers, and am trying to figure out how to juggle them. I've received a couple of private offers on both the programming and design front, and am getting some overwhelmingly positive feedback here publicly too. Thank you to one and all. I'm not 100% committed to any one developer yet on anything, but will be engaging in some more dialogue with a few others as of late to see what we can see.

There is one thing I'm going to put my foot firmlly down upon, though, and that's combat.

Turn-based is the way it's going to go. I am not willing to change on this.

Real-time combat is fast and can get your adrenaline going in a specific way, and I will absolutely not take that away from it. There's a time and a place for it.
But turn-based combat, where you have time to think about what you want to do, has an appeal all its own. It allows you to plan ahead a little without a tight time constraint. It allows for greater strategy from bosses, since a player is actually going to have to think deeply to work around it. It also incidentally means that you can pseudo--pause the game in the middle of a fight if you want, instead of, say, getting into a boss fight you know is going to take awhile, getting a phone call, pausing the game and then hitting the unpause key and getting attacked out of nowhere.
Both styles have their niche, but this is very firmly a turn-based RPG. There's not a lot I can say or do for those who don't like that particular setup, but we don't really have many of these, and I want to make a good one.

And yes, I am more than happy to have things translated into other languages, since that will increase the audience and bring the experience to more people who, hopefully at least, will enjoy it.

2017-09-26 22:57:27

Hi Jayde.
Thanks for the update. I understand about turn-based combat I like that too as long as it's done right, for example what I don't like is when you get items or scrolls for a battle, but then are told that you can't use them because you are not a level 35 juggler lol! Anyway if you pm me please post here, I don't check those too often. I'm just letting you know so you don't think I'm blowing you off. Btw, I'm working hard on python and trying to figure out visual studio to use c#. And listen I've seen the offers you got from developers on this topic, and just to let you know if you pick someone else as your programmer there will be no hard feelings. I'll pm you my email address in case you want to send me designs for the game so I can look them over.

Guitarman.

2017-09-29 15:51:26

OKi Jaide! Here we will wait news about the project!

If you need somethin contact us!

2017-09-30 11:30:37 (edited by BigGun 2017-09-30 11:32:59)

Hey guise,
To clear up everything, only thing in witch I ever tried to code anything is BGT, so it would be all most inpossible for me to join in. How ever, I can translate it into Serbian, Not that I am the best at it but, we can always try. How ever, I am quite ok with turn based combat. This isn't something like a FPS in witch you only have some webbens and maybe a few items of destruction. You here have everything from fizical attacks, to even maybe magic or something like that, and all that cant be put in a simple number row or even  inventory list. Off corse turn based meens very slow game play, but, it's still on the programmers and the organizer of this all to decide.
How ever, Can you maybe tell me allittle bit more what kind of the game are you creating? Because I may try to give you some sounds if you want, but because I don't know what are you making I don't know what to give you big_smile> and, Happy coding everyone!.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-09-30 15:09:49

Wow Jayde. This sounds really cool. I'm no programmer, but I can definitely appreciate a great game and yes, you're right, we as blind people do not have too many games of this caliber. Do you plan on starting a GoFundMe or Kickstarter at some point? I realize it's probably way too early for that, but since I'm no great shakes at programming I'll definitely help the best way that I can.

2017-10-01 02:59:15

Hi all,

So I have good news! I've got a programmer!

I'm not gonna say too much more just yet, but we've already banged out a very minimalist working prototype for battle, and we'll be adding to things.

I haven't any clue regarding timescale, so please don't ask. It'll take however long it takes, but this dude's fast, and he's good. And it looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me creating content. Don't worry. I'm up to the task.

We haven't yet fully discussed exactly what we're gonna do, funding-wise. That's something we can thrash out at some point. When I have more news on that front, I'll let you all know.

To the person asking what sort of game this was, please read one of my earlier posts in the thread. It says quite a good deal.

Over the next little bit I'm going to be reaching out to a sound designer or two so that we can talk shop. Sound design is going to be a decent part of this game...not integral in the sense that it needs to happen right this minute, but something I want to do justice by.

If any of you have mailed me and not gotten a response, please just bear with me. I'm doing my level best to make this the best it can possibly be, on pretty much all counts. I'm assembling the tools, so to speak.

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm and the support. It means a lot.

2020-06-03 02:00:33

Whoo! So, topic necromancy ahoy. But this is my thread, and yes, there is a point.

Needless to say, this project died. But like the thread itself, it doesn't have to stay dead.

I still have the design documentation I wrote originally (dug it off an old hard drive, and apparently still have a dropbox folder with stuff in it as well). And I now have three more years of game dev under my belt, enough to say that while previous posts herein weren't awful, they were a lot more scattered. Put more bluntly, I have much better ideas of what I want and what will make sense from a development perspective.

the programmer that I found, I haven't spoken to in some time, but given the state of the world right now, I thought I'd revive this and see if anyone is interested in maybe helping me dust this off and making a go of it. If not, I will totally understand - I had some hype going, and it fizzled, and I'm sorry about that - but I thought it was worth a shot.

2020-06-03 02:36:01

Don't know if someone is going to step ffort and program it, but I may offer voice acting when the time is right.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2020-06-03 02:49:12

Jayde, congrats on your steps forward to have your own JRPG.

2020-06-03 02:56:48

Well, they aren't really steps forward at this point. lol This game has been in hiatus for the better part of two years. Admittedly, I spent most of that time in school and up to my ears in schoolwork. Really, I was taking a gamble here, thought maybe I could use the downtime during the pandemic. Even then, though, the right time might have been three months ago. Bah.

2020-06-03 03:04:52 (edited by Dino 2020-06-03 03:05:05)

Tenatively I don't mind contributing on the programming front, but I don't really want to make a commitment at this point because I have a lot of other commitments to uphold during the pandemic, and, gah. What I can offer is a brief post-mortem of the things that went wrong with a game that was initially supposed to work like this that I made back in 2017. They were probably mainly rookie errors, but if it would help with the planning phase then I'll gladly go into it - otherwise, I'll just follow along with where this topic goes.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2020-06-03 03:09:17

Jadye, I can understand that. It takes a great deal of work and even when you have it up there is tons in maintenance and bugs. Make sure whomever is working with you on it is fully committed.

2020-06-03 03:34:55

This does lead me to one question:

This game was proposed before A Hero's Call, and while I was on the dev team for a short while, it didn't last. I actually quite like the movement style in that game. How difficult would it be from a coding or sound-design standpoint to do that, as opposed to a tile-based top-down view? Because I'm willing to adjust that part of design if for some reason a full 2d map experience is better.

2020-06-03 04:23:17

AHC system would not be hard to implement at all.  There are certainly things you could do to speed it up if need be, and you can definitely implement it incorrectly, but it’s not really difficult per say.
Unfortunately, I don’t think I am skilled enough to contribute. I have vague ideas of how to handle events, but those typically end up being scrapped for something better when I actually sit down and figure it all out.  Unfortunately, I am quite busy at this point, so no messing with quests for me for a while.
One day I’m going to sit down and post all my questions with relative links to what I have read on here, as I would like to receive some answers. It won’t be today, however.