2017-09-24 18:01:20

I was using windows+p shortcut to do this in Windows 7 and Windows 8. When I choose the projector only my screen is turned off because there is no external screen to be projected. However, I'm using Windows 10 now and it doesn't allow me to choose this option because there's no external screen. Is there anyway to turn screen off in Windows 10? I think it's a useful option for blinds and I need it much.

2017-09-24 18:25:11

As far as I know, it cannot currently be done.
All available options turn the screen off, but as soon as you press a key, it comes back on.
If this is something you're seriously interested in, please vote for it at:
https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoic … way-to-com
So far there's 4 votes (including mine) and one additional commenter.

2017-09-24 18:34:12 (edited by snape 2017-09-24 18:34:49)

Actually I know there's no default option to do this in Windows 10. I'm wondering have someone developed a program or script or is there a trick like windows+p. I'm sure Microsoft's developers didn't know this feature will be used by blind users. lol

2017-09-24 18:50:22

Toshiba laptops used to have the ability with windows key f5, but this doesn't seem to be working in windows 10, either that or the function key has been removed.
If this does get added or if someone finds a way please let me know, it's very handy for using my laptop on the train.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-24 19:14:44

An extreme approach would be to purposely corrupt/remove your display driver, back it up first! but you probably wouldn't be able to use the screen preboot. If something were to go wrong, you'd probably be screwed with this approach unless you had an hdmi or vga display to connect. I know those can read prelogon messages. This would definitely be something to vote for inclusion, as there's no need to deal with the slightly increased battery drain if we don't need to use the screen.

2017-09-24 20:57:11

Well I use windows 10 on a laptop, no external screen either. Try and press windows+p, select second screen only, then select keep changes. That works for me.

2017-09-25 06:33:47

Most laptops have a function key, different on each one of course that allows one to disable the screen completely.
Sinse I am using a mbp I don't think such exists for windows on bootcamp anyway, mac os of course has the screen curton.
seb2314, I just tried windows p, second screen only,but I don't get an option to keep changes.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-09-25 08:07:02

The screen curtain doesn't completely disable the screen. It just makes it very dark. The system is still wasting precious battery life. Hopefully Microsoft will take our suggestions in that Uservoice post seriously. Having observed the incredible advancements made in the last year, I'm extremely confident they will. I posted the original comment on that post. Microsoft has really turned their whole act around in the last year.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-09-25 08:42:08

I use the same way seb2314 does, but that is only done in my machine that runs a version of Win 10 that was not upgraded from a 7 or an 8, while on my other PC which runs Win 10 upgraded from Win 7, it lost that functionality and you can't turn off your screen at all. Try installing an original, fresh and new version of Win 10 if you have upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, since I have used both and the upgraded version does not have that feature and is, in addition, much slower then the other one.

2017-09-25 19:50:05 (edited by snape 2017-09-25 19:51:33)

seb2314 wrote:

Well I use windows 10 on a laptop, no external screen either. Try and press windows+p, select second screen only, then select keep changes. That works for me.

Yes, one of my friends who uses Windows 10 can also do it like you. But it doesn't work for me and the other Windows 10 users. I'm not sure what exactly this is about.

2017-09-25 19:54:54 (edited by snape 2017-09-25 20:05:56)

Chris wrote:

The screen curtain doesn't completely disable the screen. It just makes it very dark. The system is still wasting precious battery life. Hopefully Microsoft will take our suggestions in that Uservoice post seriously. Having observed the incredible advancements made in the last year, I'm extremely confident they will. I posted the original comment on that post. Microsoft has really turned their whole act around in the last year.

well, if there's a way makes the screen very very dark so it cannot be read it sounds good and works fine for me. What did you mean with screen curtain?

2017-09-25 22:58:00

Screen curtains almost completely dims the screen. It doesn't turn it off completely though.

2017-09-26 03:54:42

@Riad,The screen turn off working isnt a issue related to  clean installs or upgrades, as mine is a clean install,without any upgrades, couldn't be,really since I am on a mbp 2015.

Screen curtin is a feature specific to IOS and MAC os.
Even if it doesn't turn off the screen completely, it dims it to the point nothing can be seen,and from my use of the thing, it does improve battery life,obviously.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-09-26 05:42:19

I wonder what causes projecting to the second screen only to work on some systems and not others? From what I've read, this issue seems to affect more laptop than desktop users. I can confirm that it works fine on both my Windows 10 PC's. I use the same monitor for both, since I rarely, if ever, have them running simultaneously. This is also an old Del monitor which came from a long dead PC that was purchased in 2004. Does older hardware support this feature better? Or does it even have anything to do with the monitor, or something else? Curious minds want to know.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-09-26 08:40:55

wel, i'm having a dell laptop here that has a clean install of win10 on it and i don't get the key changes eather

2017-09-26 11:09:27

I'm having a dell here too with an updated version of windows 10, I updated from windows 7 and I get the option to keep changes. sadly projecting to the second screen doesn't improve battery life in any way for some reason.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-09-26 11:32:41

What causes it to work for some and not for others are display drivers. On newer displays, the drivers are updated to simply fix that bug which we accidentally could use.

2017-09-26 13:38:22

I figured it was display drivers and that it was a bug all along. Well, they shouldn't have fixed that bug, because the bug is for the greater good. Well, as a radical approach you could always disable your display drivers.

2017-09-26 17:46:06

The problem is that if you disable them, doing windows+p will tell you your pc can't project or something like that.

2017-09-26 23:37:23

This is true, but it also means that your display is utterly nonfunctional to the point where you might as well have it removed and turn your system into a good old laptalk, lol! Unless you reenable the drivers, of course. If you need to do system diagnostics you can always plug in a vga/hdmi display.

2017-09-27 00:06:33

Well, that's a damn shame about the bug fix. I agree, I liked it much better when it remained unsquashed.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-09-27 00:50:56

Jack, not sure if you're right. I might try that, but for example my laptop uses intel display drivers. Now, if i get rid of them it will just switch back to microsoft drivers, and it's just a matter of time until windows update updates them again.

2017-11-23 14:47:25

So til now there is no possible workaround?

2017-11-23 21:51:05

I believe Jack meant the disable driver option, not uninstall it completely. In that case, Windows Update shouldn't have a reason to update them as though they had been completely removed, or to switch to a Microsoft fallback if there is even a generic enough display driver included in the system by default. In any case, I am going to try that right now and see what it does after some time.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2017-11-23 23:17:22

If you are using a mac, you can trun off your screen in windows 10, but it is complicated:
1. set your display as dim as possible with f1 or fn + f1
2. go into the device manager and disable and reenable the display driver. This will cause the screen to go dark.
3. repeat these steps when the screen gets brighter again, when plugging it in to ac power or when dialing up the brightness manually this needs to be redone. It isn't a good solution, but it works.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen