2017-09-23 05:51:28

Hey all,

So, I wish this topic was to announce the creation of such a game, but alas, my programming skills simply don't exist. That said, I've recently been reading at least two series that are, at least in part, about naval warfare of one kind or another. For anyone curious, said series are David Weber's Safehold series, and Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series. Anyways, I've been absolutely fascinated by how naval battles work, and also about the ships discussed in the books... And while looking up various ship classes on YouTube, it occurred to me how amazing it would be if we had an audiogame focusing on that sort of thing. Yes, I know, Lone Wolf is still out there, and that's a great concept, old as it is. That said, it could be taken so much farther! One could play a campaign mode that takes you through commanding various different kinds of vessels, from different destroyers, to subs, to aircraft carriers! There could be a first-person pilot perspective, or a realtime based captain-like interface where you issue different orders to different members of your crew. There could be weather, all sorts of enemies, varying sea features... Heck, perhaps even a ship and mission creator for online play and such!

I would totally pay for such a game, and believe it would provide hours and hours of fun! Any of our various developers out there interested in such a project? I'd be totally willing to sharpen up my sadly neglected sound design chops for this!

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2017-09-23 06:02:09

Hi Locudus.
Well that's two of us. I would love to see a game like this. Lone wolf and time of conflict are out there, but you're right there is a lot more to do then what they put in there. I may tackle this sometime in the future, I can't right now but it would be awesome to have a game with space or sea naval battles. We had dmnb for a while which could've given us some of those kinds of things, but that blew up a few days ago. There are a lot of great developers on here, I hope someone will pick this up.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-09-23 06:06:28

I can't say how long I've wanted a game like this. Or to be honest, just a boring saling game where you don't do much. I really should learn how to make things.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2017-09-23 18:34:44

I personally would love a naval or pirate themed game, but one set in the days  of gunpouder, buccaneers and loot gaaar!

Sadly we've not got one yet, but there is This rather fun pirate themed text game called Avast yee maties

It plays a little like one of those old dos adventures, and is made with the quest system, though unlike a lot of games with that system is quite accessible.
The stats and combat are fun, and I particularly like the randomness, albeit I'd love to see something with real time elements, sound etc, and a little more to ship management than just stats for crew, hull and cannons.

I also wonder about some of the muds, though sadly most of the ones with sailing ships don't let you have an npc crew which is a miner pest.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-24 08:11:27

There is also the choice of games one. Choice of broadsides i think its called. not bad, just want some extra stuff like sound and well, not text based.

"900 years in time and space and I have never met someone who wasn't important." The Doctor.
Come say hi on Twitter

2017-09-24 10:45:27

@4
Well, on the mainstream side of things, there is Sea of Thieves, currently due for a 2018 release from Rare, the team behind the original Killer Instinct titles and Golden Eye 64, to name but two of their projects.  The game will have sound and be on Xbox One and Windows 10, with crossplay between platforms.  The developers are, from what I know, intent on adding as much accessibility as possible and accessibility to mainstream gamers without sight is definitely on their radar, so we'll see how that goes.

It's a shame that Naval Combat, apparently, won't work with IOS 11, that was probably the most accessible battleships clone for IOS and the sounds were pretty good for what they are as well.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-09-24 18:23:45

Well if your talking gamebooks, there are several. Cog have choice of broadsides and choice of the pirate, and there is a really long hg one called scarlet sails which I haven't played.
Delight games also have a rather cool pirate's choice game which I have played some of and is rather fun and a little more combat and stat heavy than the cog games.

There is then Sharkbate's revenge over on the ff project, which I have completed and which is lots of fun, especially for being not serious and having several achievements (I'd recommend it if your into pirates).
On that site also if you stretch the definition a little is above the waves, about sky pirates, and Nye's song, about a steampunk dreadnaught landship. Nye's song I can  especially if your into steampunk and horror.

in general though I don't mind text games with a naval theme, but I'd love to see something that is a bit more about the actual ship management and stats with a crew, choices of where to sale, how to upgrade the ship etc, a bit more rpg lik and a little less gamebook given how complex managing a ship is.
Still hopefully we'll get one eventually.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-24 19:42:10

HFor android devices, there is Pirates and Traders. I've been playing for a bit, and I like it. You command a ship, and you direct it to different ports, while keeping enough food on your ship for your crew. You can hire more crew, buy food and other resources at ports, and attack enemies. You can use the different ports to trade the resources and hopefully make a proffit, but you may not always be allowed ito all ports depending on your chosen countries alliances/wars.

the payed one is usd 2.35 and is at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

the free one is at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

Come say hi on Twitter

2017-09-27 02:46:26

What I'm really looking for is something like the next version of Lone Wolf. A real-time, fully immersive audio game, with either a first-person or captain's chair perspective of a ship, consisting of either successive missions or an actual story line. Commanding several different kinds of ships would be great as well. Anything from an old galleon to a modern aircraft carrier, with differing gameplay for each kind of ship.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2017-09-27 05:54:42

Well, something akin to Blackwake, which is a indie thing. LIke, you would have players on each ship, so its multiplayer, and each person has to do their own thing. You might have someone using the port cannon, while another guy is at the helm, someone else might use the chain shot to try to hit the mast of the enemy ship. It's fun when all hell breaks loose and you need to do damage control. They have like pumps you need to use to get the water out before the ship sinks. So you need a guy for that, but also someone to patch the hole to keep water from just pouring back in. I could get into that, big time. I also like playing as the ship helmsman on Assassin's creed 4. You basically steered the ship, and could speed up or slow down by ordering your crew to let out, or trim in more sail. Then, as you panned your camera around, you could have your guy fire the cannons when you got close enough. There would appear this arc on the screen which was for aiming, you'd want to get his ship in the underside of it, and fire. That game was cool for that type of thing, especially since the guys would sing and shit as you sailed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-28 02:04:55

This looks like a job for Nick Adamson, king of simulations. XD

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce