2017-05-14 12:43:07

Hello to all of you.
I want to know, as the heading says, Can some one make FL studio accessible to the blind?
It does not matter, you can make an FL studio Plugin, or an nvda add-on.
I will deffenetly pay for this, no matter the price.
By that i don't meen  you as the developer to be reduciliss, but i will pay the price for this.
I am reely looking forwoard to make some music like my sighted friends and brothers.
Thanks
I posted it here in the devveloppers room, so if it is in the wrong place, may i kindly ask 1 of the modderators to move it?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-09-07 04:48:17

Hello!
would be a great idea, very good indeed
 but I do not know
if you want, you can use the reaper with nvda or sonar with jaws, this works relatively well.

2017-09-07 14:02:37

To be honest -- completely, might I add -- the proposal which you speak of is impossible. FLStudio, frankly, will never be accessible. The entire interface is image-based, meaning that it uses images for everything -- and I do mean everything. If you delete those images, the program entirely fails to run and crashes instantly. Unless we can somehow get NVDA to read those images when we tab/arrow/... over them, FLStudio will never be accessible for any screen reader.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-08 10:35:48 (edited by kianoosh 2017-09-08 10:36:58)

Although here isn't the right place to talk about this but I prefer reaper than FL studio. You can almost do everything you do with fl studio by using reaper. Quantizing, midi editing/ deleting events, and lots of other stuff. These were some of the smallest features as quantize can be found in any keyboard that has ability of making rithems.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2017-09-08 17:06:00

@ethin won't it be posssible to force NVDA to recognise the file names of the images and read them as normal text?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-09-08 20:43:12

@nuno69, nope. The images have generic names, so even if we could it still would be an entirely useless gesture. The only way to make it accessible, so far as I know (unless someone does a miracle), is to entirely rewrite the GUI functions that FLStudio uses to use native windows components rather than the GUI toolkit it's currently using, whatever that may be.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-08 21:03:36

I wonder how the gui is connected to the main kernel of the program. Maybe it would be possible to disassemble some files and just rewrite the gui, and make it calling the same functions as the standart one?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-09-08 21:58:38

Well, if FL Studio ever gets it's own API that will allow it to communicate with other programs, or at least scripts for extending it's features, then yes it'll be possible to make alternative accessible gui for it. So, something that Skype had before. Until then, we can forget it. I've tried many DAW software including FL, Cubase and Reason, and none of them is accessible enough or has an API. So, Reaper is the only one that has an API, while Sonar can be repaired via scripts or addons, but it became much harder since latest Sonar versions.

2017-09-09 00:57:42

@nuno69, what could we disassemble? There's really nothing to disassemble -- unless you want to disassemble the entire program... in which I wish you good luck on actually learning anything.

My Github

2017-09-09 02:49:14

The answer is simple. Get a mac, and get pro tools. It is by far the best option and its industry standard.
Well if you wanna do mainly midi and software instruments reaper is pretty good for that, but pro tools is the best daw i've ever tried and i won't be switching to reaper any time soon.
As for fl studios actually becoming accessible, that, as ethin said, is completely impossible. Not even mentioning all the images used, a lot of what you do involves dragging notes onto the timeline where you want them, i know this because I have a good friend who produces with it and i've worked with him before with it. As for using a midi controler to play the notes, well, theoretically you could do that, only you'd need a sighted person to actually do everything because, like ethin said, everything! The sliders, the lists of patch files you would nromally use the aros to navigate through, are all images based, and unless the entire program was somehow either decompiled and redone with out images, witch it can't be, fl will never be accessible, as unfortunate as that is.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-09 03:19:29 (edited by Ethin 2017-09-09 03:20:18)

@Rory, the problem with your solution is the fact that you need a Mac, as you said, and I doubt anyone's got enough money to pay $1,500-$2,000 for a mac with good enough hardware specs to run Pro Tools without serious memory hogging and system lag. As for Reaper, I have a friend who uses it and he produces excellent music with it.

My Github

2017-09-17 17:26:47

FL Studio is kind of stupid anyway, as others have already pointed out, You'd be better off with a DAW like REAPER or Sonar. FL Studio, however, does allow you to create/use different skins, so something like that might enable a possibility for an accessible screenreader plugin.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2017-09-17 17:28:24

Rory has never actually used REAPER, so his claim that it's worse than Protools doesn't really mean anything here. LOL

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2017-09-17 19:45:25

@Dgleks, considering I know someone who uses Reaper to make incredibly good music, I'd have to agree. If you say that Reapers worse than something horrible like Protools, then you definitely haven't used it. As for skins, that might work, though actually making the skin might be far harder than it sounds. I don't know how to do it, anyway...

My Github

2017-09-24 06:17:41

I use reaper on the mac, it really is a nice DAW. However, from a voiceover standpoint, its not the best, being that osara was originally designed for windows as far as I can tell. Pro tools works better with voiceover. However, on a windows machine, reaper is really all you have, aside from that crap audacity. Well you have sonar's cakewalk, but isn't that outdated? I may be wrong on that, i for some reason thought that was old and hasn't got any updates in the passed few years.

2017-09-24 23:01:55

@Dgleks, please don't say i have or haven't used reaper when you really don't know. I haven't spoken to you in over 3 months, just because at one time i didn't use reaper doesn't mean i still don't, lol.