2017-09-16 16:21:59

Hi everyone,

Are there any action RPG games for blind people besides Shadow Line and Shadow Line full voice or not? How are these games in terms of sound design? Does the player get to fight monsters and defeat bosses with weapons or are the fights menu-driven and boring? Does the player get to hear the sound of a sword swinging or another weapon striking dammage to the foe or not? Do these games contain puzzles for the player to solve? Do these games contain a progressively darker and detailed storyline or not? Do these games contain voice acting or are there games that require the use of a TTS engine or screen reader?
Cheers,
André

2017-09-16 16:24:53

I know about night of parasite created by franciswolf

2017-09-16 17:14:37

Don't you like turned base battles?

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-09-17 00:07:15

The bk series is also an action RPG, the third one is the only game that is fully translated

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-09-17 01:07:01

The answer to the most important question... is no. Only the Bokurano Daibouken series of games. And you may wish to make your post of more than just questions... it's hard to respond to so many at once.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-09-17 03:51:45

Hi Afsilva20.
No there is no such thing in the audiogame community. Shadow rine is pretty much it until a hero's call comes out and that's turn-based. Bk 1 2 and 3 are there along with paladin of the sky and manamon but that's pretty much it unless your interested in text rpgs.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-09-17 06:05:08

Whyyyyyyy D:

Why don't these exist? Quality and acting and all that expensive stuff is not the issue. I through together a NoP-esque thing where all the sounds I didn't have yet were replaced with someone saying "bip", over the course of a couple months, in 2006. I mean, there's a reason it's never been released, but my point is... where are all the projects like that, which are waiting for sounds and beta'ing? ... Leaving "Why didn't you just do that again, but better?" out for a moment... can't _someone_ do at least that much?
*Sigh*
"I'm here to put you back on schedule."
"We're working as fast as we can, but the Emperor asks the impossible. I need more men!"
"Then you can tell him yourself when he arrives."
"The Emperor is coming here?"
"That's correct. And he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress."
"... We shall redouble our efforts."
"I hope so, for your sake. The Emperor is far less forgiving than I am."

(I'm going to regret this tomorrow, amn't I?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-09-17 21:57:21

Hi Mohamed,

I enjoy playing Manamon and other text-based a lot. However, I prefer listeningto swing the sword by pressing a dedicated action key rather than selecting my move from a list. I hope this makes more sense.
Cheers,
André

2017-09-30 21:35:48

What about return of the king, isn't that action rpg?
I'd like to try out shadow rine full voice, how exactly do i get it up and running, I really really like the idea of action rpg, it makes the game so much more realistic when you have to run from enemies if health is too low, or oh no, is that a dragon up ahead? Lets hide over here and let him go by without noticing, or something like that. I find turn based fighting very boring as there isn't any skill in volved, its just the game doing math from your various selected choices.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-01 19:05:13

@9, return of the king is an MMORPG, however the gameplay is like an action RPG.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-10-02 21:50:33

Do you 100 percent need all that NVDA crap to translate it? Or is it translated into english like eurofly where you just need the game? Same goes for shadow rine full voice, wanna try out both games but i'm confused as far as what NVDA stuff I need

2017-10-03 03:59:09

Rory wrote:

Do you 100 percent need all that NVDA crap to translate it? Or is it translated into english like eurofly where you just need the game? Same goes for shadow rine full voice, wanna try out both games but i'm confused as far as what NVDA stuff I need

rotk Most of the content has been translated, you just download game

2017-10-03 05:01:26

Well, I personally can't really sympathize with your need to not have turn-based combat... any more. I used to be like you in that regard. I'd rather hit things on my own time than hit things by going to it in a menu. The fact of the matter is, you probably won't find a great RPG that does that. It's not to say those don't exist, because I've heard that Return Of The King is like that... but that game has been frustrating to me since the beginning so I really can't tell you. But Entombed is a nice RPG for what it is. I think A Heroes Call will take that concept and expand upon it greatly.
  My next note is this: If I were you, I'd focus on the RPG's content. You could have tons and tons of action that level you up, but eventually it just becomes a level fest with no challenge whatsoever. The thing I like best about Manamon is the fact that you have dungeons to explore and enjoy. You don't necessarily always fight, but you can run around and enjoy your surroundings. And I would honestly take that over being able to swing a sword.
  On a related note, I think Swamp would qualify as a nice audio RPG. Unfortunately, I've not played it in years, so I'm not going to say much on it, but that came has a good balance of action and accessibility in exploratory terms.
  These are all personal preferences. So, take these how you will. In closing, I would like to make a point I have made for years. Strap in, this is going to be one long rant.
  I think the audiogames community is vastly understocked with RPGs. I see the reasons: It's time consuming, hard work that is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. But I have also noticed the few RPG games we have in the audiogames community sticking the longest, whereas FPS games seem to fizzle out after a year or two. (Note: This is not an always true statistic. I am speaking generally.) I have also noticed that FPS games always seem to cause more drama, which is never fun, but that is not the topic I am discussing. My point is, the audiogames community needs more fantasy RPGs and less shooters. To put it in mainstream terms: More Skyrim, less Call Of Duty.
  I apologize for that lengthy, rambling post, but I thought it should be written.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-03 13:13:07 (edited by Muhammad Hajjar 2017-10-03 13:17:30)

Well said Dragomier, totally and completely agree with you. We're full of those fps's, and need more content regarding rpg. Thumbs up.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-10-03 14:02:51

I kiiiiinda feel like you might have suggested a false dichotomy between real-time level-grinders and content-rich turn-based RPGs. The realtime vs turn-based aspect has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the game is content-rich, and really, games can have a ton of content and still involve enthusiasm-killing levels of grinding. The only thing giving turn-based an edge over realtime is bug-testing realtime mechanics, which matters only if you're making something way more complicated than any existing audio game, solo.
(... what? Why are you looking at me like that?)
Other than that, yeah, I agree.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-03 18:55:47

return of hte king  to me was very confusing.

2017-10-04 01:21:37

As far as shadow rine goes, do you need to translate that one? Also a lot of people are saying return of the king is confusing, how so though?

2017-10-04 02:24:07

I think the most confusing aspect of the game is the Chinese menus and strange sound mixing. I can never figure out what I can and can't interact with. I'll have to cut this post short rather abruptly but I'll report again later.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-04 17:26:21

Yes, you do need to translate that one... there is no English version of the game, yet.

2017-10-04 18:45:17

Given a choice, I'd much prefer turn based rather than real time combat, because more often than not real time combat devolves into how fast can you mash buttons or how well can you memorise button mashing sequences. Totally boring!

2017-10-04 19:12:23

Not if the combat system is well-designed... which, unfortunately, is a rarity in audiogames and why I don't play audio shooters anymore, especially the multiplayer ones... it always degenerates into who can shoot the fastest or who has the most health / ammo. Games like Samurai Warriors on the ps4 do a great job of realtime sword-based combat.

2017-10-04 21:37:23

I will admit that it's all too easy for a combat system to devolve to button-mashing. Trying to improve on this while keeping to the sound scheme, keeping a decent pace, and still staying manageable through audio alone is pretty challenging.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-04 22:59:36

From a coding standpoint, it may be harder... I know how I would do it in my head, just don't have the skills to actually lay it out in code.

2017-10-05 14:52:03

The thing I've noticed about real-time combat games is that there is never a level cap of any kind, so eventually you become so outlandishly powerful there is no way to lose, easily, and you can just one-shot bosses. At least, I had that issue in BK Three, but that's not to say it wasn't a great game. But I have noticed, in turn-based RPG's that seems to be the opposite.

2017-10-05 18:42:19

That doesn't have anything to do with the game being realtime combat or turn-based, that's a design choice. Mainstream hack n slashes like Samurai Warriors 4, knights of Valour, Odin Sphere and others don't have the problem and employ a system that scales the damage you do with the game's AI... either making it harder for you to hit them or making them more aggressive. The exchange usually comes with them either taking more damage off you, or getting more health themselves.