2017-09-13 16:16:26

So since I got older hardware, I'm after a good lightweight distro.

Three caveats

1. It MUST come with Orca preinstalled

2. It must be around 1GB so I can fi t it on a memory stick

3. It must be lightweight.

So, going by those points, Lubuntu is out. No preinstalled Orca and after installing it it wouldn't read the LXDE back to me out of the box.

Alright, what about......any others you guys know of?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-09-13 19:23:55

Ubuntu Mate

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-13 19:48:18

I did try that but even that lagged on my 2007-8 desktop sadly....I'm after something that's slimmed down and doesn't tax my X64 system too much or my old AMD processo r and GPU very much...

Everything I find is also over a gigabyte in DL size so it won't fit on the memory stick I have to hand.

I've been thinking bout Lubuntu since I can doa sudo apt-get install gnome-orca in a live session but for whatever reason that broke on me when I tried it.

Been checking out Knopix too, though from what I gather that's not meant to be installed is it?

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-13 21:29:04

Go for arch, fit LXDE on the installed OS as a desktop environment and run with it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-14 01:49:51

Buddy, if you can't get ubuntu mate to run, you better just throw out that computer and get another because it is broken, badly, lol. It's made to run on lesser hardware, and can run quite happily on old XP machines. Mate is about as lightweight as you're likely to get and still have a desktop. I bet I could install ubuntu mate on that old laptop from 2006, if I still had it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-14 05:27:32

I can get it to run, but on my desktop....it managed to, somehwat amazingly....lag. Bear in mind my desktop is about 10 years old with 2.5 gigs of RAM and a decent proessor and an Nvidia graphics card....yeah not the greatest system ever but it works.
Just want a distro that won't lag horribly when starting up at all.

Currently got Zorrin on, it runs fine except it lags when there's a lot of stuff running, I had Mate under WUBI and it lagged, maybe that's the reason it was lagging, I got no idea but for me at least and maybe it was a bad DL, Orca wasn't working entirely with Mate's desktop.

Never got Lubuntu to  work with Orca even after installing gnome-orca, is that solely down to the LXDE environment? Or in other words, given how old my system is, is LXDE my best shot at a responsive system? If so, best way to get Orca to run with it?

@the Arch guy: Isn't there an auto install Arch script or iso laying around somewhere? I swear I remember it on the talking Arch iso, I may give that a go at some point but at this point, so used to Ubuntu I'd rather stick with what I know, though I did briefly check Fedora out.

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-14 07:01:41

And again, @Arch fans:
Say I grab the arch autobuild  from https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100/projects.html and boot from it....will that do everything for me so I can basically go grab a sandwich and stuff while it auto installs?

I like the sound of the autobuild, but I want the LXDE on it, is that possible with the autobuild, basically, can I pick the desktop before I do any installing?

Also, next question....can I install it alongside my existing OS? I'm having no luck running Arch in a VM here

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-14 08:54:27

I wouldn't do the autobuild if I were you. The autobuild has serious problems, one of which is the fact that it does absolutely no error checking. So if it fucks something up during the install, it will just go on as if the fuck up never happened, thereby ruining your system even further. I'd say get the sandwich when it's installing the base (and any other packages you need). After the base is installed, the process goes much faster.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-14 17:33:59

What I meant by autobuild was the one in the link I gave, has anyone tried that and checked if that one actually installs fine? I'm not liking the idea of breaking my system testing an Arch ISO...

Ideally, I just want a simple, easy to use Arch installer I can go through at my own pace with it speaking out the options and such and so I can  get it installed step by step without (and this is the issue I had on a VM) getting lost in commands and lists of what I need to type as I find I lose my place and never remember where I was or skip a feww steps unintentionally.

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-14 18:38:48

The autobuild script I mensioned in post 8 was exactly the script your talking about. It's prone to errors and system breakage. I did it on a friends computer and it failed to boot properly. If you don't want to use Arch, you could try Debian. Most Linux distros are switching to KDE these days though.

My Github

2017-09-14 19:16:31

KDE does seem interesting, but is Kubuntu any good with accessibility or should I just go for KDE Neon itself? That's the thing I'm checking and right now it seems like most people are saying go with Neon, thoug I have found some sources that state Kubuntu works fine with the KDE accessbility stuff, though I'm not sure how much to trust that...

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-15 03:02:44

You don't want that autobuild if you're trying to save space / resources because it installs a bunch of stuff you don't need including 3 or do desktops. I have gotten it to run flawlessly in a VM though.  You do not want the new KDE whatever they're calling it, plasma or whatever, because it has 3D compiz stuff in it that basically composes a 3D desktop and will make the situation so much worse.

Honestly though, if you can't even get mate working reasonably well, its time for a new system.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-15 03:36:16

Okay figure this out:

Ubuntu Mate lags
Lubuntu doesn't
Unity doesn't
Kubuntu kills my system
Zubuntu won't even boot

Cinnamon won't run Orca but it stutters
Mint Mate lags like a bitch

Zorrin....doesn't lag but uses up a ton of resources?

Okay see I'm getting two diffferent stories bout that talking autobuild Arch, Ethan is saying don't use it period, Iron is saying don't use it if I'm trying to save space.

Alright, so given I'm a complete Arch novice, wouldn't I want all the stuff included to get it all working?

lso, I now want to test it in a VM if I remember how it's actually done...

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-15 16:05:57

No, you don't want all that shit that the autobuild installs. The autobuild installs over 130 GB of packages -- now 106-110 GB -- and the package installation procedure is a bitch to get working. It took me more than 3 hours to sort out the package signing keys and repositories because that thing is so old. And then once I did manage to install all the packages with the base system included it failed on me. So I'd just -- if I were you -- install Arch manually or go with a different Linux distro entirely.

My Github

2017-09-16 16:00:38

Don't even use Linux. Use Windows. Windows is good for your sole LOL.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-09-16 18:11:30

@15, rofl. Not...

My Github

2017-09-16 19:14:36

Well....I wasn't expecting that distro to turn out to play well with my system

Tried Mint, it wouldn't play nice, tried Sonarr, got it running and it was lagging my system, thanks Gnome.....so I decided screw it, I'm gonna go out into left field and try Solus having heard good things about it and its performance with the Budgie desktop....and for some arcane, weird reason, I now have an insanely responsive, fast booting and light system on here now.

Okay is it just me or does Ubuntu pack alot of crap into its distros? I've noticed that, no matter what desktop I run it on, on one machine I wipe for testing after every distro, Ubuntu consistently seems the slower end out of the ones I test.

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-16 20:45:25

How do you install solus with orca? I think I'll try and install it in a VM.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-09-16 23:15:17

I did the following:

1. Burn the Budgie/Gnome/Mate iso to a USB stick, I used dd to do it but whatever works is fine

2. Booted the system from the USB stick, in your case boot the VM from your iso of choice

3. Wait around a minute or two, hit alt F2, you'll hear a sound if oyu hold backspace, type terminal and hit enter, then type orca and hit enter, it'll start Orca

From there it's an easy to use installer, the only part I had isues with was the name/username  bit but I used the same name for both.

Once I had it installed I didn't restart immediately, I went and tinkered around to set the defaults up how I want, then restarted and just a heads up....by default, it'll ask for your password but you an easily enable auto log in once you're at the desktop and Orca's started up.

There you go, hopefully that helps. I've been talking with the Solus guys about Orca actually and they have been very helpful with helping me with a few minor issues, so credit where it's due.

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-16 23:42:45

Cool. Thanks Draco.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-09-17 00:48:03

Hi.
After about 5 minutes, I type alt f2, then terminal then orca. Nothing. No sound, no Orca, no nothing.
I'm using the Mate version.

2017-09-17 04:26:35

Not sure on that as I don't use the Mate desktop.

As a test try my instructions in a VM with the Budgie iso, that's the one I'm using and what my instructions were based off of.

Also on Linux natively

2017-09-17 20:40:59

Ok then. Thanks.

2017-09-20 03:54:43

Well I found something amusing....apparently FF 55 and up are piles of shit.

So, yeah, anyone got any good lightweight browser suggestions for me beside Seamonkey (using it again)? I ideally want something I can import my FF profile into but it uses less resources and such. Yeah, that's right, FF lags on my top line Vostro i7 machine. How, I don't know and I'm runningaa bone stock FF install here

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-09 10:06:10

Just gonna necro this to say I came back to this topic to point out a few things

1. Solus Mate is much, MUCH improved after a sudo eopkg update and is much much more useable now

2. Seamonkey/Waterfox are lightweight browsers

3. Orca in Solus Mate is much much improved too, and since this is one of the top search results for lightweight linux orca....I'd say everyone should, if ya got a 64 bit PC, try out Solus Mate. That's the good news

The bad news is I came to this after Budgie decided to jump to QT without telling me making it useless here, which is a shame as I like the feeel of Budgie. So, yep, back to Mate it is, and it works fine for me. Fast, no crapware installed with it a la Ubuntu and it's constantly up to date, plus it's mostly idiot proof. Which is pretty damn good for me.

Also on Linux natively