2017-09-07 15:26:01

is there a new version of the game that has something to do with the memory paged pool increasing and When I start the game I would instantly get a message that says not enough video memory windows is allocating memory?
I do not want to download the same version of the game.
I would rather wait for a version 1.3 to be uploaded.

2017-09-07 15:49:22 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2017-09-07 15:49:54)

Hi Nick, yes there is a new version, it was linked in comment #64 but also here below. I'll check the front page, apologies if I didn't update it. Huge optimization update is immediately in effect, and to further reduce strain on your computer, press F1 when you get into the game. I'm also still working on making it remove all lighting and hopefully irrelevant objects in the next update but there should be a big difference, as that is what most users are saying. If it's still a problem for you, let me know and I'll cater my research to memory pool optimization for the next update.

x32 http://daisyalesoundworks.com/Lost%20an … %20x32.rar
x64 http://daisyalesoundworks.com/Lost%20an … %20x64.rar

2017-09-07 16:01:37

I finally got to the boy, and then started back after the cutscene. I actually sniffed back with F a bunch of times to get back to where I thought was the correct spot, and I'd bark, and wait a minute for them to catch up, but it wouldn't accept it. I can hear the crying woman so I know I'm close. With the storm being so loud, its really difficult, if not impossible to tell if you're even moving at all because your footsteps are drowned out. It's also hard to hear the trail, I know that's the point, though.
So, I finally just quit out of the game for walking around for 5 minutes trying to get it to recognize I'd brought him back. I would stay within the crying woman's range, but keep sniffing with F, one time I thought I hit it because I moved and it went right behind me, so I thought I was for sure on the spot, so I barked, but apparently not.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-07 16:31:57

Hello folks! Spoilers ahead, read it it at your own risk.
Ironcross, you probably heard a faster heartbeat, right? This is an indicator that the boy is near you. That is one of the reasons you shouldn't run when the storm is on. The boy wont be able to reach you if you go too fast. I've made the same mistake when I first tryed it. The storm is indeed loud if you intend to explore around, so I'd suggest you doo all the exploring before getting to the boy. You don't really need to hear your footsteps nor the trail, just pay atention if the boy is around, and make sure to check your way with f from time to time.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-09-07 17:10:13

Hi Ironcross, I will be lowering storm volume in the next update. I also am having problems with the boy crossing the river. I thought I had fixed those but I will have to have another look.

Thank you for the feedback, new version soon!!

2017-09-07 17:51:12

Hello,
I'm still having that video memory space problem.....

2017-09-07 18:32:46

Hi Stefan, I've done quite a bit of optimization but now I just asked in a few forums how to disable graphics 100% without doubling every level. I'm hoping I'll get a good answer, if not I will have to remove all lighting, shadows and mesh visuals in the levels, hopefully won't take too long but I will get to it soon. I'll message you personally when I've done it, so you don't have to keep checking back.

2017-09-07 19:54:07

Unfortunately I have some issues with the messaging system on here, so it would be better if you can write it here. Or maybe do u use any social media where we can keep in touch?

2017-09-08 04:45:37

Sure Stefan my twitter is https://www.twitter.com/lostandhound1, do you use twitter?

2017-09-08 09:44:13

Hey everyone, I got a lot of that work done I said I would for the next update, but not all of it. I have to go away for the weekend, and will complete it hopefully by Monday morning your times.
The new tutorial mini-level is almost done, and the script for the snow level is almost done, so soon there will be a lot more content. The writing for the Australian outback level is underway.

Next  mechanic to enter the game: stamina!

2017-09-12 15:07:11

Hi everyone! It's been quiet the past week or so because I had to travel for a few days, and then catch up on some audio contract work but now, it's back to development!

I'm behind on my last update. Sorry about that.

I'm working on a new tutorial now, like a mini-level where you practice following a scent trail and using the sniff mechanic before thrown into the level. Next up, it's ironing out the kinks in the snow level, and then another update.

If you're anywhere near as into this game as I am, please help share it around, mention it to friends, share on twitter, whatever. We need more people aware.

2017-09-12 20:17:26

Can you add an option to skip the tutorial and the beginner instructions for those that are familiar with the game? Thanks for all your hard work and I can't wait for the next update!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-09-12 22:26:56

I agree with that about adding a way to skip the beginning narration because I've heard it before and I go into the game often.

I tried the game in 7.1 surround sound with my G930's. I dunno if its real surround or they do some sort of wizardry to fake it, but when you put that switch down on the left side, things do change in the soundscape.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-13 01:22:55 (edited by JimmyDub 2017-09-13 01:23:33)

na the g930 is not real surround and it also has a bad centering problem. that's why it never worked with games like swamp.

2017-09-13 06:34:27

Jeffb - I already did! It's the R key. I didn't want to tell people until they asked because the tutorial is kind of vital.

It doesn't skip the announcement of property ownership. Please tell me if it works or not, I'm 90% sure I included it in the 1.03 demo release.

2017-09-13 14:36:44

That R thing, well uh, sorta works, it does get you past the tutorial thing, but it doesn't unlock your controls, so you kind of can't move big_smile

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-14 05:21:24

....crud. I forgot about that. I used to make it so I could skip the tutorial while testing it myself but removed it in 1.03.

Fixing it now, should have another update uploaded tonight! THANKS IRONCROSS!!

2017-09-14 18:35:03

This seems really interesting. When I have some free time Ima definitely give this a go. Thanks for all you're doing man. It means a lot to us

2017-09-15 08:14:35

You're welcome Cody, but also... I've struggled in the games industry to make it as an audio designer and composer for years. I can't tell you how refreshing and validating it is to find a group of people that like my work. So I really couldn't be more interested in developing this game than I am right now. This community is awesome. Thank you guys so much.

Also, just an update for everyone following along, I've been doing a lot of back-end work lately. I need to get the menu system working and it's much more complicated than I imagined so I'm struggling with a lot of boring changes that most people won't notice but they just have to get done. Sorry for the slow in pace, guys and gals. More good stuff coming soon, including two new level ideas, one designed by me and one by the project's writer, Anderson! More to come soon!

2017-09-15 11:47:26 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2017-09-15 11:48:04)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you complete transparency with the slowdown: I took a short extension of a contract for producing music for an 8bit/retro game from a few months ago. (Here's one of the pieces if anyone is into that genre of music.)  https://soundcloud.com/honkytonk38/chun … tune-boss.

With my paid music contracts, I literally have to just drop everything and do them, because who knows when the next one will come.

I did the pieces, it's over and now we're back to Lost and Hound. Also I have been doing some general bug fixing so that's why there's nothing flashy or newsworthy to update. I've been doing a lot of smoothing out of the gameplay - little things like fixing the boy victim's step angle and visibility, so he can see you easier and step to higher areas so he won't get lost in the river anymore. Tons of little things like that. I'm almost done with the logic and construction of the snow level, then it's voice acting, then it'll be on to the Australian outback level.

2017-09-15 16:04:25

I really dig that tune my dude. What do you use to get all the 8 bit sounds? I'm an amateur producer myself, and I looooove 8 bit. Were there any specific plugins?

2017-09-15 16:56:15

there were parts in here that sounded like the yamaha YM12 synth chip of the mid to late 80's, but not so distinct that would tell me it was that right off, just  of sounded kind of like that. But yeah that's a cool beat

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-15 17:30:37

Hi I like this game it is pretty cool.

2017-09-15 19:33:57

Cody, thanks man! I listen to the soundtrack for that game when shopping for groceries lol. I really like it.

I use two free vst plugins - peach and magical 8bit plugin. Those are their exact names.
I generally layer them - that chunky bass line is three different voices in the peach plugin. I would love to hear some of your stuff, you say you're a producer.

Iron cross - you have a good ear for that stuff. I think that's what they were going for in the magical 8bit plugin, the early Yamaha chips.

Thanks Gregsteel! Any notes? Anything you want me to change or do more of?

2017-09-15 21:35:33

Is the new update coming soon?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77