2017-09-13 17:02:13

As many may know, Apple came out with a few new phones. What does everyone think about the new things Apple came out? How about the new version of ITunes? Who plans to upgrade this year?
All the XCiting News from Apple's September 12 Event
Goodbye to the Home Button, Hello to Face ID; What Might This Mean for Blind and Low Vision iPhone Users?
Apple Releases iTunes 12.7; Bringing a Revamp that Drops the App Store and Ringtones
Apple Releases a New Siri Apple TV Remote: What are the Accessibility Implications?
Hands-On with the iPhone X: Our First Look at Face ID, Animoji, and More | WIRED
Everything Apple Announced: iPhone X, iPhone 8, Face ID, Animoji, Apple Watch, Apple TV | WIRED
How Secure Is the iPhone X's FaceID? Here's What We Know | WIRED
iPhone X and iPhone 8: Specs, Price, Availability | WIRED
Apple TV 4K Adds Pixels, HDR for $179 | WIRED
Apple Watch Series 3: Six reasons why it's a must-upgrade
iPhone X: Face ID, OLED screen, wireless charging and the other features you'll care about most | Macworld
iPhone X: Hands-on and first impressions with Apple’s new iPhone | Macworld
Apple iPhone 8 Plus vs. iPhone X vs Samsung Note 8: Phablet spec showdown | Macworld
Apple's new iPhone X folio case wakes/sleeps handset like iPad Smart Cover
Apple embraces Qi wireless charging standard for iPhone X & 8, earns praise from Wireless Power Consortium
Apple quietly cuts price of iPhone SE to $349 for 32GB, $449 for 128GB
Apple is de-bloating iTunes with latest 12.7 release, removes App Store
Apple discontinues (Product)Red iPhone 7, ups iPad Pro pricing
First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X  Exclusive
LTE Apple Watch details: iCloud Music Library streaming, 16GB of storage, LTE talk time and more
First look: Apple Watch Series 3 and AirPower Exclusive
First look: iPhone 8 series with A11 Bionic chip, wireless charging, more Exclusive
Apple launches $999 iPhone X in bid to regain innovation lead | Reuters
New Apple Watch that makes calls turns comic book fantasy into reality | Reuters

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-13 17:48:28

Hi,
I particularly liked the watch out of everything announced at the yesterday's event, although I am doubtful whether or not the celulor watch is even coming to my country this year or even by the end of the next year sad

Iphone 8 and 8 plus were the usual upgrades from previous moddles, nothing mouth dropping or write home about,but a decent upgrade for Iphone 6 and 6 plus users. maybe me,lets see.
Not so much for the users of 7 obviously

Iphone 10, great feature face id and all that, but not so much for the visually impaired community sinse you know, we don't tend to look at the screen of the phones whilst using it, and yes even though apple hasn't left blind and visually impared people hanging, by providing the disabling of atention in its accessibility settings for face id, it makes much more sense and is much more intuitive for sighted people than people who can't see,sinse I at least rairly if ever even turn my face towards the phone when using the thing.
its either in my pocket,or on my desktop table most of the times,with my touch id index finger or thumb using the thing. big_smile

oh,did I say the watch is cool?
wink
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-09-13 19:44:17

iPhone X is truly amazing, it sounds altogether a phone, iPad, and computer at the same time. I would buy it if I had the money, despite the fact that I tend to like phones that are not larger than 5 inches. iOS is becoming a more usable platform with the arrival of iOS 11 which introduces some good features, particularly drag and drop. Also, image description and OCR features are coming to Voiceover. Let's see how they will perform in practice.
I don't know much about the new version of iTunes. I hope the new version is less cluttered and more friendly with screen readers.
Anyway, I think it would be much more accurate to comment when we try all the new things for ourselves.

2017-09-13 20:15:53

One down side of that latest version of ITunes is the removal of the app store. That can be a problem if you are trying to make sure that you have a copy of all of your apps on your desktop for those times when you upgrade an app only to find that that upgrade of that app brakes things when it comes to accessibility. I myself also find that the ability to download an app once through ITunes, and then syncing my IPad and IPhone is a lot quicker than download the app with both my IPad and my IPhone. Of course, having a copy of all of my apps on my desktop can speed things along when I am doing a restore. Yes, most times I do not need to do a restore, but still. Part of my problem here is that I am stuck on roughly a 5 megabit connection. Sometimes I can get on a connection as fast as ten, but still... When you live out in a rural area, you do not have much option when it comes to an internet connection among other things. Anyway, I guess that we will see what we shall see when people get to play with these things. As for the IPhone X, I am not too sure what to think. By the way, I hope I did not spam everyone with those links.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-09-13 20:49:06

I believe you can download an application by opening it from your web browser in iTunes, if that isn't also taken down. I guess the aps will still be on your iTunes as they are part of your backups, what's more iTunes is used for interaction between apps that are installed on your computer and those on your iPhone.
I'm sorry if I've got your point wrong.

2017-09-13 23:29:10

In ITunes 12.6.2, the Apps are not part of the backup. The location of the apps on your IOS device is included in the backup. the content of some of the apps may be included depending on the app to some degree. The list  of the apps is included in the backup along with your settings and a list of all of your songs. This basically means that if ITunes does not find the app on your PC, your IOS device will download them from the app store seeing that the apps, themselves are not part of the backup. In short, ITunes only backs up the content you create over all seeing that apple thinks that you can get the rest from them. This is assuming that you do not mind getting the latest apps and that you have a copy of your music on your computer. My biggest problem with this feature being removed is the fact that I was having ITunes checking the app store for any updates I may have and downloading them so that I can have ITunes install the apps on to my devices so that I will not have to download the app two or three times just to update the same app on both my IPad, IPod touch, and IPhone. If my connection was ten times faster, This would not be as big of a problem. For the backup and restore problem itself. Say it takes ten to thirty mins to do a restore from ITunes. Now let’s us say that my IPhone would have to connect to the app store to get all of the apps that I had on my phone, it could lengthen the time to a few hours even if the phone remembers what folders the apps goes in seeing that I currently have around a few gigs of apps. Yes, some of these apps will go away with IOS 11, but still. It is like your backup of your PC, containing all of your settings, desktop shortcuts, and documents, but not your programs and music. Let’s say that you know that you can hook in another hard drive to transfer the music back in if you had a computer crash, but you had to redownload every program that you had installed. Oh yes, may you have good luck on the programs in question being downloadable. This pretty much describes the ITunes backup. As a side note, sense they are pretty much removing the ring tone section of ITunes too, I am not too sure how we will go about putting in our own ring tones without going through apple.

DropBox Referral

2017-09-13 23:50:43

Ah, I got your point now.

2017-09-14 00:11:40

Doesn't sound like that much inovation to me. Samsung and other Android devices have had these features for a few itterations. And at $1300, the iphone x is crazy expensive... at least in Canada. Even more than the s8 which is already rediculous! lol But hopefully, it'll be worth the upgrade for those who do. I'm more than hapy with my galaxy s8.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-09-14 04:28:56

To be honest, I am dissapointed a bit about the app store.
I find syncs on the desktop a lot easier.
Also if I am wanting to help people setup their devices, I now can't get apps for them or anything, its good I set up my aunt's and mum's devices before I had to do the big update, however with this big announcement now usable or even relivent is itunes period except to update the phone if it doesn't do this anyway  for you.
Is it even worth keeping it installed, sure we have a music library but to be honest I feel cheated almost.
I know I can buy a lot of music from bandcamp or other sites and there is ofcause ms store which does not drm protect your music.
I do wander how I can still buy apps and such when I am not on my device or how to easily but them in the phone, its nice if I have to do things to my unit but other people's?
And then there is restoring, I have gegs of apps, so now I basically have to wait like I don't know ages and ages to get all the apps for each device.
And the ringtones hmph.
If apple is going to do this I'd be better if they just had a service to update the phone and that was it or quit the pc.
However this is available on mac so its s double standard.
Its easier to buy for an entire account than on each device, I am going to have to start telling people I can't do app support now.
Because there is no way, which means if it screws it will have to be another trip to apple for a new phone or a something else.
I think apple has taken a step backward.
At any rate itunes universal app will be inaccessible as most apps on windows are I suppose.

2017-09-14 08:30:45

I look forward to see the new iPhone 8, and especially to hear the new much improved speakers. I don't know if it's worth upgrading from my iPhone 7.
iPhone 10, well, not that much different from iPHone 8 in my opinion.
The new Apple tv, well, I think I'll keep my 2015 generation.
The new Apple watch sounds awesome. I'll keep an eye on this to see if it's worth upgrading.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-09-14 08:34:01

I'm curious about the performance of the new iphones considdering that iphone 7 is already the best in the market when it comes to that, they claim that the new phones are even faster. This is why I have never bought an android device, even when they say that their devices have huge processing and ram power when it comes down to testing they don't even compare to apple products.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2017-09-14 12:23:37

@11, the reason they don't compare to apple products is because the OS itself is less performing, plus the wide variety of devices it's manufactured for and the lack of an absolute sandbox model makes it impossible to deal with performance as much as iOS does. I'm still pissed off to hell and back about the tones thing, because now that that's gone, I actually have no way to get any tones to my phone, since I'm 16 and parents wouldn't waste a cent on the iTunes store. Plus, I take actual songs I have, and make my own ringtones, which loop perfectly, get just the right amount of the song, and some of them aren't available on the store in the first place! And let's say somebody wants a super mario noise for their notification tone. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has a high quality version of that effect that would release it to something like that, because the only people that have the actual effect, are people who rip the roms and emulate them! I want some super mario noise? No problem, just go to super mario 1, 2, vs.nsf, find the track I want, export it to wav, and do trimming and editing as I like. Straight from the chip!

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2017-09-14 13:37:00

I just hope, they didn't screw up the accessibility of ITunes for Windows with their new Version. I don't use it that often. Only to buy TV-Shows and movies in the US-Store. That's actually something I like about Apple. You can download your purchases onto your Computer.

As for the new products, well, there was not much, that wasn't known before. I am not really interested in the IPhone anymore, since they removed the headphone jack. I watched it because of the AppleTV. And there was nothing ground breaking either. I mean, if you want 4k Support, you can get a FireTV. And they are much cheaper than the AppleTV.
By the way. Does anyone know, how having a phone call with the AppleWatch is supposed to wor`k? You wear it on your wrist, ok. But in my opinion, it is sort of uncofortable, having to lift your wrist up to your ear. And imagine, how that Looks...

2017-09-14 13:39:50 (edited by grryfindore 2017-09-14 14:03:32)

Hi,

I won't get into the android vs ios thing, I've said all there is to say about android in another topic, getting back to apples announcements and the like.
What I am looking forward to the most is the description feature. Somewhere in the event the presentor said that each tile of the video playing is Annalise by the processor to know what it is, I.E a grass tile and so on,which could also be used for Voiceover descriptions of videos. I have heard wague roomers of such a feature coming in ios11,but nothing clear yet.
I mean when that kind of info already exists for ios to use its not a far leap to have it available to voiceover apple has a history of such,though,so lets see... would be bloody terrific.
can't wait for 19 sep anyway.
Grryf

Follow me on twitter

2017-09-14 21:21:06

That is the only reason I would consider any of the new iphones... the video description features. Other than that, Android does everything I need it to, and so far, in the three months I've used it, has done a better job. lol But I won't go into the OS debate, either... everyone has their preferences and right now, for me it's android.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-09-14 21:42:21

On the subject of accessibility.
Removing the app store has made itunes a lot more responsive.
It was the app store that caused it to become unstable and crash nvda a lot.
On the other side, I can no longer help those with devices because I can't get apps or sync all devices or update them it is for every device which will now use more bandwidth on restore, etc.
As for the droid vs iphone debate its a question of what you need and what you want.
For ios for me its the uniform interface, the fact I can rely on it maybe and have all the apps I want.
With droid, well it all depends.
A friend and computer geek uses android as a phone and an ipod or something like it for games and mp3s, etc.
The only difference for droid and this just briefly is once your device has connected to the store, you can buy apps for it from google on any device including the pc.
I do miss the fact you can't sync to update devices anymore but aparently if you leave devices for enough time the device will update itself so maybe its just me.
Sadly I am going to have to stop supporting apple devices as a maintanance type deal bar updates because I have no way to add new apps etc for people unless I use the device itself.
For me I just don't know what my next phone will be.
Apple units have been really good with accessibility, but with the home button gone, and the fact itunes is only good if you have a music collection and for device sync and backups, this has changed my outlook extensively.
I don't buy itunes anything so it may mean that I just use a non apple device for the phone.
On the otherside is the fact that my family have a mix of devices and I like an ios pod type device for games and such and a simple android phone or even one of the cheaper units just for phone use.
Then again I barely use my mobile symbian phone, mostly messages but not many and calls hardly any, I use my computer for 99.9% of everything I need it for.
My brother says his samsung is like another minni computer.
So I don't know.
The fact that android has all the customisations and bloat well can do that pc has is probably the only reason I wouldn't fully just get a manufacturer done droid, I have always had a system that I could get up easy, and ios while closed may be that system.
It all depends on price.
For myself I don't care for anything over the 6s because of the no headphone jack issue.
I may go for the se to be honest the lts phone.
If I go for that sort of phone at all.
As long as old gsm is supported which is all I need I don't know.
My other option is for one of those special disabled type phones that just does phone and sms as this is all I have ever needed it for.
Part of the preasure though is sonnar, our games will eventually be on pc but our focus is the smart phone ios and android.
Its ios which has issues sometimes as apple take a while to varify things but who knows.
I still like ios as a system having used a make ages ago amd liking it.
As well as this since apple is a closed system, once I know what I need to do I can rely on it for a while.
But it all depends on what you care about I guess.
For me the large thing is still the laptop.
As for upgrading I upgrade when it breaks or I need to.
I havn't updated this toshiba sat pro since 2011, but I am thinking of converting it to linux at some point after win7 support drops, and so I may go to some sort of home hybred gaming laptop which while its not pc as such will be my home box at least.

2017-09-15 06:15:21

Hi,

@assault_freak, fare enough. for you android does a better job, for me ios is way better than android is, a matter of opinion is all. but like I said in my previous post, I have stated all that I can in another topic so lets not turn this into another android vs IOS topics. and I for one can't think of a single reason to consider an android phone over a Iphone right now, well I own one anyway,which just sits collecting dust.

Speaking of the new ITunes, honestly I haven't tried it so far,but like crashmaster says, its a advantage in 1 way and not so much in another.
You either have a bloated ITunes that does everything but makes you want to punch your pc,hard.
or  a unbloated ITunes that makes things slightly difficult anyway by not taking proper backups of phones? that is all the apps and the like. or that is what I have gathered from reading on here...

At the person speaking on the watch, its not the type of thing everyone needs,but for the ones that do, its fantastic, specially the new celular watch.
and err, why would you need to lift the watch to your ear? it has a jack I believe for headphones or a speaker loud enough for you to here shite lol

Grryf

Follow me on twitter

2017-09-15 06:45:08

@Gryfindore:
Hmm... So you either have to have headphones around all the time, or you will just share all your calls with your suroundings? By the way. Just out of interest. Since the watch has a headphone jack, is it the actual one, or one of Apple's lightning things?

2017-09-15 08:18:12

@The player:
Yes, if you are using the speaker in the watch, it is like using the loudspeaker on the phone. However, you can connect a bluetooth headset to the watch.
Regarding FireTv, is this as accessible as the Apple tv? The great thing about Apple products is that their products are released world wide. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-09-15 08:23:15 (edited by Chris 2017-09-15 08:41:00)

I'm not impressed with the announcements. The new phones aren't worth it. They didn't release a second generation iPhone SE. Until they do, I will hang onto my iPhone 5S. They also didn't release any new Macs such as the mac Mini or MacBook Air. The price for the iPhone X is ridiculous! All your getting is the face ID thing and those stupid interactive emojis. What they hell? Why would you spend $1000 on a device that's going to be obsolete in 3 years with Face ID and interactive emojis? Apple is wasting their potential. I wish Steve was alive or they had a better CEO than Tim.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-09-15 13:08:57

@SLJ:
The fireTV itself is very accessible. And since the remote has actual keys to for example enter something into a searchfield, using it is sometimes even easier than the AppleTV. The Netflix app is accessible. It even Shows the Audio Description track. Unfortunately, apps like Youtube, Spotify and Deezer aren't usable yet.
I think VLC would be usable. But for some reason, I am not able to log in to my Server on the FireTV. And for the rest, well, it always depends on what you want to do with it. And since Fire OS is based on Android, and you are not limited to one Appstore, the range of available apps is much, much greater than on the AppleTV. I wish Kodi would be accessible. For me that would be a reason to get rid of the AppleTV.

2017-09-16 14:10:26

the player wrote:

@SLJ:
The fireTV itself is very accessible. And since the remote has actual keys to for example enter something into a searchfield, using it is sometimes even easier than the AppleTV. The Netflix app is accessible. It even Shows the Audio Description track. Unfortunately, apps like Youtube, Spotify and Deezer aren't usable yet.
I think VLC would be usable. But for some reason, I am not able to log in to my Server on the FireTV. And for the rest, well, it always depends on what you want to do with it. And since Fire OS is based on Android, and you are not limited to one Appstore, the range of available apps is much, much greater than on the AppleTV. I wish Kodi would be accessible. For me that would be a reason to get rid of the AppleTV.

Well, then I would get Googles tv box instead which runs a clean version of Android. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2017-09-16 15:59:16

For itunes, just google and get the previous version  if you care about App Store

Pics or it didn’t happen

2017-09-16 17:22:53

I was keeping an eye on apple watch for a time now, and I am looking forward to this new one! big_smile ABout face id, I also have my face faced goodness knows where, not surtanly to my face cam. Anyway it will be I bet it's going to be inpossible for me to get it, with out 3 more versions being created big_smile big_smile big_smile
Kind regards.
Aleksandar

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-09-16 19:35:51

wel, my sences about this. i'm really disapointed about apple. i phone 8 is just too similar to iphone x. the only thing that x has is a better camera and face ID. and the screen of corse. evrything that the new i phone has already exists on other phones that you can get way cheeper. so no, it's not worth buying a Iphone for 1000 dollars when you instead can buy a pc for that money