2017-09-12 17:15:35 (edited by SilverMoon 2017-09-12 17:17:47)

Hey guys,

so recently, I started my own youtube channel.
I've done a few streams, one doing the tutorial of urban survival, and another on the first set of rhythm heaven.
I know that there are many blind individuals who have been doing youtube streams, and probably for much much longer than I.
I know that most of their streams, have been about gaming.
I am trying to do something different, and do things not only about gaming, but other things as well.
The problem is, I'm not sure what. This is my first time doing this.
So, if any of you have any ideas, please let me know.
Also below, is the link to my channel. I hope you'll check it out.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9R1GN … subscriber

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-09-13 07:47:28 (edited by defender 2017-09-13 07:58:31)

Do what you know.
I've heard time and time again by both small and large youtubers that the best way to not get burnt out is to just put out material on subjects that you personally care about.

I think we both know that this channel probably won't get that big, it's just too much of a niche.
Of course that's not to try and put a damper on things, after all look at Tommy Edison, but shooting for the stars right away is almost a sure path to failure. tongue
I'm guessing you know that already though, and hence, even if you think the topic will be uninteresting to your audience, I'd suggest still doing it, as long as it makes you happy.
After all I'm guessing the channel is mostly for you, used as a creative outlet, as nearly all small channels are, with a secondary goal of helping people in your community out, and or spreading the knowledge about this community.
I don't want to presume though, could be anything... :-)

Just remember that as long as your putting it out there, it's almost a certainty that someone is going to like it, you'd be surprised at the kinds of subjects that some channels are built around.
Trying new things is good too of course, but I suggest doing that later on, once you've exhausted your own set of interests.

On a side note, it's nice to see a female doing this, for the simple fact that all the similar AG channels get tiring. you also have a nice way of presenting things, with out much mumbling, lack of enthusiasm, etc.
Allot of AG channels have no voice over either so, that's refreshing, plus I have to commend you on using such a mainstream and at times inaccessible service, even if you had sited help or have enough vision, it's still pretty cool.
Speaking of which, I don't know of any blind streamers on youtube accept you actually, the only ones I know of at all are the PG13LP and CodeGreen50 ones and they aren't on youtube. I know there are probably some mainstream gaming twitch streamers who are blind though.
Maybe you should link to them in your channels tab?

2017-09-13 16:34:38

Hey!!!
So first of all, thank you so much for your feedback.
Oh yeah definitely, I'm not looking for this channel to be huge or anything. Certainly not, but I do want to do something that will be helpful to others, even in a small way.
I am a psych major, and my whole modo is to help others.
So yes, I do stream for my enjoyment, that is very true, but I also do it because I hope it might help someone out there somewhere. smile So it's a fifty fifty sort of thing.
I'm glad you like my live streams, and youtube is mostly accessible.
It was surprisingly easy to get it set up actually. I thought it would have been difficult as well, but no it really wasn't. Which is great!!! smile
As for other blind youtubers, I know Liam Ervin is a huge one. He does all the audio games that are out there, and rather thoroughly at that.
But yeah, we'll see. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. smile

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-09-14 13:35:33 (edited by defender 2017-09-14 13:45:05)

oh yeah, lol, how did I forget about him...
I used to watch him even, guess I just forgot he streamed because I would always catch the archives.
You should probably put your phone on do not disturb next time, I think you can set it up to only take calls from certain people, if you tell said people what time your streaming, then you can probably avoid any interruptions

Personally I can't even properly comment on videos or like slash dislike other comments, my subscriptions page is gone, I have to use "youtube.com/subscriptions_manager" instead, and I'm not able to see the flagged slash reported stats at all.
I force switched back to the old youtube layout, but it's now all screwed up again and that button is gone, plus when I go into account settings, the page refreshes most of the time before I can get to the setting I want.
Sometimes wiping youtube cookies helps, but I have to do it like every week or two.
I'm using NVDA on Firefox, it's probably better with Jaws and Chrome.

So basically I put up with youtube because it's the only real place I can see what I want, I'd dump it in a hot minute if something better came along, no loyalty what so ever, because they don't seem to care much about accessibility either.
I know it's better on mobile devices though, but typing comments isn't exactly easy on a phone, even if I had one.

2017-09-14 16:39:07

Hey!!!
Yeah well, no one in my family knows about my streaming, just because, and no one ever calls me except my boyfriend, who was away on an event the day I was streaming that.
My sister calling as she did, was a rarity. lol smile
As far as youtube accessibility goes, I actually am using jaws with firefox. I do not have chrome.
here's my question. Do you have a youtube account?
If you do, and if you have your own channel, it's easy to like and dislike comments, check who is subscribed to your channel and all that.
I don't know how to do that on other people's channels, that's true, that bit is tricky. However, to check for it on your own account is surprisingly easy.
I don't know if that's what you were having trouble with or not.

Emily Dickenson

2017-09-14 17:32:04

talking about other people's channels, I don't have one or plan on it really.