2017-09-14 03:00:25

Hey all, i'd like to try out grizzly gulch, i've watched liam erven's lets plays and it sounds quite good. However, since the game was originally commercial the audiogames archive does not hoast either it or chillingham. I mannaged to get chillingham a few years ago but not grizzly gulch. Would it be possible for somebody to send a link? Or is it not allowed because it was never really abandend?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-14 05:39:02 (edited by jack 2017-09-14 05:42:05)

This one's tricky. I think it's a bit of an unspoken rule of sorts due to Bavisoft's frankly unjust disappearance as a company, but we still can't really officially allow links to the games. Or can we? I've seen this discussion go both ways on the forum. Either way, if indeed the games were! allowed to be hosted on here, I still think that uploading the games officially may still be crossing the line. It's one thing to have links on a forum that can become lost to time, but quite another to have them in plain sight, permanently up for download. At the same time, if they were to come back and hit us with a c and d that would be, in my honest opinion, a pretty laughable move at best, considering their failure to respond to orders and support questions past 2009. But considering they didn't even flinch when their own damn domain got taken down for inactivity, I'd be willing to think that they wouldn't give a crap. All things considered, I'll alert the mods on this one so we could discuss this controversial state of affairs concerning Bavisoft games.
Ok, done. I doubt anything would get the company's attention these days. Lol.

2017-09-14 13:20:34

MODERATION:

I'll leave this topic open for discussion, but our official position is that the actual legal status of the game is still unknown and that distributing it on this forum isn't permissible. Sorry about that, but better safe than sorry. You should try to find a retailer with the CDs, if you can, while stocks last. I am hopeful that one day this will change for the better, but meantime please don't publish links. Thanks.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-14 23:33:36 (edited by jack 2017-09-14 23:33:49)

Clear enough. You can see if computer room services still has the games up for grabs. If so, better go get yours while it's around, because we all know what happened to Private Detective School. At the same time, Computer Room Services being only a reseller, I doubt they'd even legally be in position to pass distribution rights to another distributor like AT Guys. At the same time, Computer Room Services could theoretically never run out of copies, thanks to these games not having drm. In fact, if you asked them to image the game, they'd probably be glad to. They could probably charge less for it as they wouldn't need to ship physical disks. You know,, I think we're onto something.

2017-09-20 20:33:02

@Post3 I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Bavisoft have been gone for a while now, and if they did try to file a lawsuit against us, they'd lose. Not only would the Cort justify this as a scam sense people have paid for their stuff and got nothing, but my family makes more in a month than these people have in the past 7 years, so they'd be guaranteed to lose even if they were in the right, simply because they don't have enough money.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-09-20 23:11:35

Yeah, but it's still a risk no matter the circumstances. They're still registered trademarks, since this company went to that extent. Whether that would hold much defense for them legally is up for question, but for now it's a risk that audiogames.net, nor the audiogames archive, really won't want to take at this point.

2017-09-21 05:21:55

It's also that if we  saying it's okay for avisoft, goodness knows where it would go.
There was recently a topic of someone asking for a full version of a commercially available game who's website and download links were still around simply because the developer hadn't responded to a key replacement email for a day or two, and since many developers, though they support their games are small  we do need to protect their distribution as far as official websites go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-21 06:37:34

This is true. And even though Bavisoft's site was shut down due to inactivity, the developers could be so! oblivious to that fact that they could go on like it never happened, though with all due respect if that were to happen, all it would take to turn the tables would be someone telling them to go visit their website to see the right load of nothing one would encounter if they visited the site today, minus visiting the wayback machine. Unfortunately, barring official status from the games, there isn't much we could do. Like I said before, computer room services, the only active distributor who may or may not still have a limited amount of copies to distribute, could really use to their advantage that the games have no disk-based drm unlike Private Detective School. If there was enough interest, Steve could simply image the games and distribute them as digital downloads. I see no legality issues behind that, after all shouldn't resellers have at least the choice of how they distribute copies of content they sell? Especially in this day and age, where some computers themselves! contain no cd drives, and there really is no reason for the games to be going on cd anymore?

2017-09-21 16:09:47 (edited by Orko 2017-09-21 16:10:20)

Several months ago when I was looking for Private Detective School, Computer Room Services didn't have any more copies of it, but had some other old games in stock, such as Chillingham and Time Adventures, but unfortunately no Grizzly Gulch.

However, if you search the forums for "Grizzly Gulch" there are a couple of persistent links to the game. One is even an ISO file of the original game disc. That's how I got it myself.

2017-09-21 17:06:08

*sigh* So the only game they actually have possession of is Chillingham and they ran out of copies of grizzly Gulch. Alrighty then. So if we were to ask Computer Room Services to distribute the games digitally, the only one they could legally do is chillingham since they themselves ran out of grizzly gulch.

2017-09-21 22:40:23

That's very possibly the size of it, unfortunately. Oh, and they were out of Private Detective School as well.

2017-09-22 05:23:43

Indeed they did. And in regard to that game, unless someone finds a good reliable disk clone, they really! ran out of private detective school as once the disks are gone, they're gone. Not quite the same for Bavisoft, but better still I still don't think it's legal for someone to even so much as go, you were a distributor for these games, I have them so you can keep selling them. Resale would have to go from company to reseller, not through the customers.