2017-09-08 16:10:52

Good thoughts Kenzon. The holiday stocking is a really useful thing, I have it aside from my main weightless container, and now use it as a herb pouch.

I still don't think I'd group an area and then solo later, but we'll see. since my focus is questing and exploring and trying stuff I tend to be higher level anyway, especially as I tend to take the game more slowly than some I suspect, eg, I'm about to hit level 29 druid.

Oh and spell staffs rock, I'm just experimenting with using them to control weather so I can use lightning and hale and such without having to expend a tonne of mana on getting the weather I need.

I also love brewing salves and tinctures as so many are useful, though with potions it tends to be a little more hit and miss, still I've sometimes found some pretty handy cure potions here and there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-10 07:36:12

Sprawling topic; I'll attempt to do it justice with humble words.
1.  For those having trouble soloing, please consider using necro or druid as your first class, mage or cleric as your second, assuming you want to make it easy on yourself.  There are plenty of minions/pets/companions available to these class combos to take the brunt of the damage you receive.  Using mage as your second will grant you more Mana; cleric will in turn give you more HP.  The choice is yours.  As a necro, you'll focus more on what your minions can do for you, while druids have a ton of area effect spells and can attack more mobs in one shot at lower levels than any other class.
2.  If you refuse for whatever reason to take this piece of advice, consider using every other tool at your disposal, including your gold to get you ahead.  Today, just about anyone can fire off dangerous high level spells at mobs through the use of scribed scrolls.  It's not unheard of to grab a bulk of fireweb or cone of cold scrolls and head off into a high level area with the intent of breezing through quickly and collecting massive amounts of XP.  Take note of the level command when you first log in; sometimes you'll here little bits of information suggesting that double XP mode is on.  Take advantage of these times.  Drink potions; buy restoration pods.  Use wands and druidic spellstaffs!  Get ahold of poison plush froggies!  Make note of your age!  And on and on the list of tools, equipment and other things goes.
3.  Join a clan.  Even if you don't group, you can drill others for advice while simultaneously passing on what you know.
4.  Be aware of the clan you're joining.  There are a bunch of elitist players on every multiplayer game; AA is no exception.  You'll run into people who will either swear to you up and down that their ideas and only their ideas work, or you'll run into players who smirk at you from the shadows while regarding you with something like scorn while withholding things that could otherwise make you better all the way around.  Both parties are full of themselves; no one player or group of players knows all and or knows best.  I know guys who have been playing for less time than I have who know more than I do.  Conversely, I know people who have played more than I have who still can't accept my methods but know I'm right regardless whether they care to admit it.  the point here is plain and simple; no one knows it all.
5.  Log in on a daily basis, even if you don't play.  You'll receive gifts; sometimes it's xp, sometimes it's gold.  Sometimes you'll get that one get out of death free card that can make the difference between you and the loss of millions of XP.
6.  Buy a weightless.  Yeah yeah; they're expensive, but seriously, get one anyway!  Equipment is of the greatest importance, and the more of it you have, the more unpleasant surprises you can avoid.  Make eqsets for yourself and situations you know are likely to come up.  Don't have any ideas?  Read about saves, resistances and armor class.  Read about regen.  Read about hit and dam.  Read about spellcasting.  Don't like to read?  See suggestions 3 and four above.  Many of us have done the work so you don't have to.
7.  It hurts to be an older player; it doesn't hurt as badly to be a newb.  Milk the low level areas for all the XP they're worth while you can.  Forget leveling quickly and be patient.  Slow and steady always win the race, particularly if you're a spellcaster.  Run and rerun until you get the warnings about being too high level for an area.  Stop leveling quickly.  Stop leveling quickly.  Oh, and, uh, stop leveling quickly!
8.  Jobs are good.  The jobs given by lower level mobs are obviously easier than those given by mobs in higher level areas.  Jobs are much like quests; you'll usually have someone ask you to find an item or deliver something to someone else or go kill a something or other.  If you get lost after accepting a job and can't find your objective, you can usually type jobs to get a general idea of where you should be.
9.  Proceed with caution. It's tempting to run after caps and doublecaps, but it's not always worth the death you're likely to suffer.  Consideration is your friend; type consider around nonaggro mobs.  Learn the different types of lore available to you as you progress to better obtain information about what you're fighting.  Take stock of where you are when fighting.  If you're alone in the big bad world of AA consider having a tanking minion of some kind.  Map out escape routs in the event they're necessary.  Make a note of whether an area is instanced by using the where command; this means the area will not refresh itself or repop, so long as you're in it, which is good when you want to find safe places to rest and recover.  Keep track of your xp and your cheapest level; atempt to have some XP in reserve to level when severely hurt so you can quickly heal and escape if all else fails.
10.  While in the real world jacks of all trades or men of many talents might be considered valuable entities, AA requires that you carefully consider what you're learning, training and spending practices or combat points on overall.  This means you should try to avoid duplicates of spells and skills.  If you already know fireball, learning flamestrike is a waste of time and pracs you could otherwise be putting into a stat such as int or wis.  Moreover, the spell which would be more valuable in this case would be the one you learned tied to your highest leveled class; if mage is over cleric, your flamestrike will for the most part be weaker than your fireball.  If you're unsure of what to do with your pracs, take a moment to think about what kind of character you want; try to realistically and clearly define your strengths and weaknesses, as you are not and will never be an omnipotent force.  If you want to beat up on your enemies, consider training your strength and dex.  If you're planning on being a potent, powerful spellcaster, train your int and wis.  If you're planning on healing a lot, you'll probably want to make charisma a higher priority.  If you think you'll be taking a pounding on a regular basis, you'll want the extra HP provided by constitution.
This is a lot to keep in mind no matter who you are; I sometimes have trouble following my own advice.  I get killed doing a lot of things I know better about. the best piece of advice?  There is none.  Hit up the advice command and try to make it up as you go along.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-09-10 14:57:12

Good thoughts @dark and @nocturnous. In fact dark, I mostly use spellstaffs for those control weathers myself. Also, one thing I love about spellstaffs is that if you have spellstaffs of, say, still air or thorn armor... you'd be a valuable asset to the group. Not all players are druids; if you use your still air or thorn armor spellstaffs you can increase your own breath save and norm save respectively, while also increasing the saves of other players!
Also, I know that credits are expensive, but if you are patient (very patient), you can get credits without even donating, buy trading them with your gold using the moneymarket. When you have about 100 credits you can use them to restore players on the game, which can get you out of certain situations. Its even easier for level 30 clerics, since they can petition celestial audiences to restore you or grant boons.
@Dark, I know you probably already know this but there are potion recipes on the AA website, and they are also accessible in game via the "brew potion search spellname" and "brew potion show recipe_number" commands, which may help you in determining which spell components you can use to brew certain potions. Get reagent lore when you can; that skill helps you identify affinities of spell components as well. If you have trouble finding spell components, I believe there is an alchemy channel in game that you can ask on (not sure if that chan was deleted but even if it is you can still try and ask on auction or gossip). Get locate object if you want to, it will make things easier not just for brewers but also for quests/jobs where you have to find certain somethings. I know locate doesn't always show you what you want to know, but it is still better than nothing, in my humble opinion.
If you can't get all that skills in one character, make alts of different classes. I personally have a druid char as my main (since my mage is so squishy anyway), but I keep the mage around for when I need locate object, farsee etc.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2017-09-10 15:03:32

I'm behind pretty much all of it. The only bit of this advice that I don't take on a regular basis is the bit about using gold to buy high-level offensive scrolls and going crazy. And even that is not bad advice, I just don't tend to do it. I tend to like necromancers, particularly with mage or cleric second, and their ability to solo is almost second to none (ghouls do so, so much damage, and a bevvy of knights and liches can really wreck stuff), but druids are arguably more versatile. I feel bad for your melee classes, honestly, since in the mid-20s they really start to struggle.
But yeah, totally agree about the high-handedness of certain players. I hate it when people snicker behind their hands, so to speak.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-09-10 16:49:32

Good advice here from lots of people, though I will say in general I find alter more pleasant in terms of other players and more forgiving than say aardwolf, especially in the matter of things like Qinfo, newbie spells and how to get out of areas, I am not sure if Alter has any no recall areas or not, but in Aardwolf I've sometimes been utterly stuck with other players proving useless or just making silly suggestions, and I don't even mean stuck on a quest, (though I do), I mean stuck finding an autoquest mob.

jobs are fun, though with my liking for doing quests carefully  not done as many jobs as I would've liked, still they're a nice way of getting xp.
Brewing potions is something I just enjoy doing for it's own sake, and for the xp from new recipes, though I do rather wish I had the potion throwing  so that I could use some of the offensive things I brew, though salves and tinctures I regularly make use of, actually I like the fact that on alter these days there are ways to earn a bit of xp while relaxing.

I'm just getting used to spellstaffs and what they can do for me, but certainly I like the idea of being able to use more weather spells when I want to since those are really powerful.

How I'll get on on the mainland we'll see, though since I plan sticking around on arcaise until all the quests are done it might be a while and a level  two I think, which hopefully will stand me in good stead for when I get to ralnoth.

As to alts, while I'd like to try some of the more high level necro abilities, I don't generally have the patience to go through everything again as another class combo. I tried cleric warrior, but am really happy with druid mage.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-09-10 17:40:54

Well, Dark, if you decide to take a crack at Necro please do let me know.  I have tons of equipment and advice that might be useful/beneficial all for the taking.  I can have you in a full necrocast set by round level 15ish or so.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-09-10 19:14:39

I'd be interested to give necro a try, necro was my third class when I did cleric warrior and I had fun playing with the various minians, though as third class minians they didn't do that well.
I actually wish there was a way to play an alt and yet not abandon your primary char completely, or have levels gained for the alt bennifit your main char in some way or other, but hay I am happy as things are for the second, though I am having one specific problem with that bloody undead drow city under fort magnita.

the area is a pain, and I've been told by a wizard that I need to give him a jar of violet mould and some mushroom ash for him to decode the spellbook I found. Well first time I did it talk command did no good, so I gave the items and nothing happened. So this time I wondered if I needed to give him the dusty spellbook.

I did that and again, nothing now I have lost the spellbook, the mould and! the bloody mushroom ash and I am getting heartily sick of that area.

I've reported it on the audeasy list since the quest is actually getting annoying, I do hate that don't have clear ways of completing, or where you bugger yourself up by doing something natural like, mmm, giving an npc items that they request only to find that said items drop into the npc black hole and are never seen again big_smile.

In fairness on alter if you report these sorts of things something usually is done about them, which is good.

2017-09-11 00:54:56

I'm pretty sure, with this quest in particular, that it goes something like this
(slight
spoilers
follow)
1. Get the journal from the room with the corpse near the furnace
2. Give the journal to the undead drow wizard
3. Find the jar of mould and the mushroom ash
4. Give him both items, and he should proc

That quest is definitely tricky though, and it's not immediately obvious what you're supposed to do. It's not broken, last I checked, but I've buggered it up a time or two myself.

If you do try a necro at some point, Dark, go cleric or mage second. Probably cleric, in the sense that you're a bit less squishy and can heal your minions (plus you've already got a druid mage). Druids do decently well at almost everything, but necro minions arguably do more damage (I say arguably because it depends on setup). So yeah, have a try if you want, but I totally don't blame you if you don't wanna go back through everything.

2017-09-11 03:16:01

Apparently according to Richard on the audeasy list that quest is rather silly since it's a complete instance and can't be completed if you go in and out if it repops, which is bloody annoying.

I'll probably leave it for a while though since I'm getting a little tired of that area, have seen all there is to see I think.

If I were to do an alt character I probably would do necro cleric since as you said Jayde, I have seen what druid and mage can do and for someone who likes messing around with creating different things, brewing etc I like the idea of working on necro minians, I did a bit of that when necro was my third class with my cleric warrior, though all my necro stuff was too low level really to count.

Still I don'[t really have the dedication to fancy trying an alt, not unless I could somehow bennifit my primary char with it.

2017-09-11 17:10:57

You'll only benefit your primary char in the sense that some gear is bound to account, and not to player, so the alt might find something your main can use. You can also use your main to carve for your alt, on all the bone and hide gear you'd be using as a necro.

As far as the instance issue? I totally understand, actually. You can't use a jar of mould from instance 1 and ash from instance 2. Each instance creates fresh copies of the same thing, and resets the story, so it makes sense to me, honestly. Just do it in one go. It's a pretty nice reward when you finish with that area, btw.

I decided to start fresh and am running a necro-cleric, btw. She's level 24 as we speak, just hit Dragon Tooth.

2017-09-11 19:01:03

Necro cleric? Maybe I should rethink my strategy. Is the character necro cleric mage? That might actually work out a little better. I'd have more useful healing spells at this stage in the game. I'm still considering it. I love the first part of the game for all the quests and exploration. My real problems start when I get to the mainland and it turns into a grind fest. hmmm.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-09-11 20:05:21

It is always, always going to get harder when you hit the mainland, but there are a lot of areas around Ralnoth that will work well if you're careful. And yes, she's necro-cleric-mage. Ideally you should be level 28-30 by the time you finish with all three islands completely. I'm probably going to be 30, because I know where to grind a bit between quests.

2017-09-11 22:06:14

I've just got to level 29 with my druid and still have lots of quests to do on arcaise before I'm done, but hay I'm not  too much of a hurry.

Edit okay I've done the undead city drow gas quest, thank god for that, but I can't use the notebook I got from the high matron. She was a right pest to kill and took about four live oaks, a charge from my rod of sanctuary and a potion of bless, but I won in the end, however now the stupid centaur chief won't accept the notebook so I can't get the "plundered the undead drow city" fiet.

I think this is one of the  irritating quests I've seen in the game I think, it just  less than forgiving about what you do, I hope I haven't buggered it up by completing the gas quest with the war leader before I spoke to the chief.
Oh well, enough for today, at least that is the dam city done and I can move on.

2017-09-12 03:58:47

See, I thought you were supposed to give the book to one of the centaurs in magnesia first, and then eventually to the scholar Bruticus up in the Lotus Monastery, but it's been awhile. No, you haven't completely buggered it. Absolute worst-case scenario, if you give the thing to a mob who doesn't want it but takes it anyway, kill the mob and get it back.

Congratulations on level 29, by the way. I just did the Shadowclaw Swamp area. If you haven't been there yet, I recommend that as a primary druid, you do it. And if you didn't get a staff from the trunk there, load it over until you do. That's a freaking epic staff.

2017-09-12 07:48:07

hi,
Been catching up on quest lines myself. On the shadowclaw swamp, where can the lilac
pettles be gathered?

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-09-12 12:10:15

Hmmm, the book just tells me to go and give it to  chief of the centaurs, but I've put in a bug report if it's a dangling quest line or similar, I did the lotus monastery quite some time ago so I don't think it's sending me there.

As to shadowclaw swamp, if that is the one with the evil druid and the cursed ent I took care of that one around level 23 I think.
I did use the staff for a while, but I can't recall what I ended up doing with it.

2017-09-12 14:01:43

Hi !

As a necro mage cleric I can confirm that is a very nice class combo to play. I'm questing on the main land since I'm level 29-30 and it has worked rather well for me until now. Being carefull, I can even sollow in some areas intended for group of 4 or more players. I'm actualy encountering some little difficulties with the hill orc king, but I have some strategies in mind and I haven't said my last word. lol

I'm level 33 necro with a necrocast of 48, I actualy use bone shield and bone armor. I have to improve my constitution a little more before removing it and find some equipment as armor and shield taht'll give me more necrocast. I have a manaregen of 58-59 with the energetic green demon. I go with 3 skeletal knights, 3 skeletal lich and a metal construct as a tank. For bosses or hard enemies I use the deadly coctail : rotting sphere + bloodmist.

My name is Takeda on the game and do not hesitate to ask me if you need a resurection or if I can help you in other ways on the tree newbie islands, around Ralnote, Trindsick and Cornia. About runs, since I'm the same kind of player as Dark I do not care very much for it and I only group in areas I have already explored before.

About the poison in the drow city I encountered a strange bug the last time I made this quest too :
  The drow wizard attacked me when I entered his room. I couldn't even relax him whith my peace spell. So I created an alias to give him the tree items quickly and get out of the room. If I had not made this quest before with another charracter, I would never have known that I had to speak to this NPC to pursuit the quest. I'm not sure if it was a bug or if it was something wrong in my character's stats which made the wizard agressive.

About shadow claw swamp, no, it's an area near dragon tooth, which has been oppened around 6 or 7 months ago, just beside the black water hollow.

PS : Sorry about my english

2017-09-12 18:18:41

Dark, trust me about the lotus monastery. You will have to go back there. You may have to give those notes or that book to a centaur first, but yeah.

Shadowclaw Swamp is the one with the hedge-maid and stuff, btw. As the previous poster said, it's quite close to DT. The staff you can find there if you're lucky gives 2 to druid clev, as well as some other nice bonuses.
slight
spoilers
To the person looking for the petals, check the hedge-maid's table in her lab. I didn't know that either till someone told me.

I'm currently working on jobs a little bit. Just did the Djinni School this morning, and a bit of Magnesia (just the upper portion, not the tunnels). Am thinking I might tackle the spider caves next. We'll see.

2017-09-13 02:24:39

Well I got slightly hoist on my own petard with the notebook for the drow city.
I was going to try the centaur again, ran into the bandit ambush and as usual was sacking the stuff I got from them, but I forgot I didn't stick the black notebook in my weightless bag as I usually do with quest items.

So to get rid of the black money sack I type  ds black (my alias for drop and sac), and poof, there goes the notebook.

so with much grumbling I  fist of earth my way back into the city and rekill that blasted matron. On the plus side this got  a  second carmolite ring. On the even more plus side I was able to then give the black notebook I got from her to the centaur chief, he told me to go to  lotus monastery as Jayde described and  praise be to Dentin I finally! finish the quest! 

Now I'm on the caves of pestilence, (beware! spoiling spoilers ahoy for caves of pestilence). I made made rather a booboo in tacling the vampire before I destroyed  the weather machine. I suspect this made him unkillable since he actually killed me, either that or he is waaaaaay tougher than most other things I've encountered. 

So I'll try the weather machine, then go back in with sanctuary and potion of bless and stuff.

I can say I'm really enjoying alter at the moment, maybe it is because I am currently moving house and can't be bothered to start anything new, indeed I've been having concentration and persistence problems of late even on games like manamon. But an immersive game where I can always guarantee to have quests to do is very welcome right now.

2017-09-13 04:32:25

I'm fairly sure that you can kill the plague vampire before the weather machine, but I might be wrong. He's a bit tricky though, does some pretty decent damage. Yeah, just kill the machine next time, see if there's a difference. I don't intend to die, so you'll have to pardon me if I don't test that particular theory myself.

My problem with AA is always, always the same thing. I get to a certain point, and either I start racking up serious exp loss from deaths, or I go idle for a few months and forget where I was, or I get to a point where I can't seem to find new places to fight/grind/do quests. Usually it's a chain of the three (can't find new stuff, start dying a lot, go idle and forget what I was doing if I come back).

Level 26 now, and actually just saw your character, Dark. lol You've got a lot of storebought gear on you, and could probably upgrade it to make yourself even more of a beast if you wanted to.

2017-09-13 18:45:34

Hurricane related things have kept me from posting much here, but post I shall.
The reason necro cleric or necro mage works so well is slightly different depending on which side of the coin you choose to play, but ultimately comes down to more or less the same thing, a wel defined char.  if you're a necro mage you're gonna get a ton of mana in the long run along with access to some heavy armor class early on, particularly if you choose cleric as third.  Shield, displacement and armor boost AC by 90 points when put together.  You notice the AC bonuses really make a difference if you couple them with bone shield and bone armor, though I honestly suggest not becoming dependent on those last two if you can avoid them and instead look for equipment with high AC and necrocast on them since, A, your tank should really be the one taking most of your damage and, B, given you'll rarely enter melee combat, you'll only need an AC set on a few occasions, mostly with mobs that don't know how to keep their filthy hands to themselves.
Necro cleric will also cut down on damage in a different way, firstly y offering you access to powerful healing spells, and also by providing the sanctuary spell. There's also extra HP, which is worth noting given necros are rather squishy by default.  The downside to necro cleric is that you'll also have to wory about your charisma a bit, particularly given al of the recent changes to cleric spells.
Personally I prefer necro mage over necro cleric, but both work quite well.  Add druid as a fourth, thief as a fifth and war as the final class, and you should be set rather nicely.  Some people like to switch that last bit around for more HP, but I'm a believer in making things disappear as quickly as possible, and when you're a spellcaster, that requires high stores of mana.

2017-09-13 21:11:32

I like warrior fourth because it will also give you access to Retreat earlier, plus Cry of Victory (a little healing after fights). Thief fifth lets you eventually get Pick Locks/sneak/searching/dodge. Warrior fourth gives you parry and shield block. Really, I've always subscribed to the idea that if you're not gonna stick druid/necro first or second, put them fifth or sixth.

Necro-cleric has one issue. If you want to spam combat spells, say like Harm or whatnot, you have to be in melee. Now, your woad or clay man will protect you and such, but this is why I have bone armor and bone shield most of the time. My level 26 necro has something like 518HP and 360 mana, which is more than enough to go on a fairly ridiculous tear, particularly given that I run around with a ghoul, two skeletal warriors/knights, a mage and a wood woad. Necro-mage is fine though. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. My highest level char to date was a necro-mage.

2017-09-13 22:13:29

What's the best raised necro minion? I always thought it was a vampire since it has lots of curses. I've noticed that my vampire gets destroyed rather quickly so I've gone back to using skeletal knights and lichs. I'm still thinking about resetting Sparr to become a necro cleric mage.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-09-14 14:08:39

Vampires don't use curses, they use harm and chill touch, and intimidate, though. The ones that use curses are mummies.
As for which minion is the best, I do not know. I don't have a necro char myself (Or well I do but it sucks so yeah)

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2017-09-14 16:31:10

Okay, here's my really basic rundown on necro minions. The big ones, I mean, not the skeletons/tanks.

Zombie: almost completely useless IMHO. Decent tanks, but they're slower than dirt.
Ghouls: killing machines. I use them often.
Mummies: Never used them much, but they do like using curses and they have decent resists I think.
Vampires: use harm and chill touch and intimidate, and they'll respawn if they die. Probably the overall strongest, but cost a lot to control.