2016-10-20 00:35:19

Hi everyone,
I am a new programmer, and have recently learned Java. I was hoping to write some games for the ios platform, but it seemed to be kind of inaccessible. If anyone would share their thoughts on this, it would be appreciated. Also, has anyone developed a game for Android using a screen reader? How would one code a UI for a touch screen using said screen reader? The Android path seems easier for now. Please reply with any thoughts/experience. Thanks so much!

2016-10-20 02:41:10 (edited by queenslight 2016-10-20 04:05:24)

The following pages, should aid you on your quest for   successful Android development within the blind world:

1. The Android Acccessibility Manual

2. From In Clusive Android, Where to get started with accessible design as an android developer

3. From Google, Android Accessibility Support Pages
4. From National Braille Press,  Getting Started With Android

5. Getting Started With Accessibility Scanner

I hope one or all of the above pages help with your developement.

2016-10-20 04:03:43

Hi,
Thanks so much for the help! I'm using jaws, and was also wondering what IDE  I should use? Is the android interface builder accessible at all? Thanks again for any help!

2016-10-20 04:55:41

You're very welcome.
Answer to your question can be found via the below link:

https://developer.android.com/studio/in … ility.html

2016-10-20 15:31:22

you can't develop ios apps in java. or if you can, it wont be accessible.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2016-10-20 17:44:44

Thanks so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

2017-09-07 05:21:29

Hello
hey, this does not seem to work with the newer version of nvda, nor the android stúdio, is there anything else?

2017-09-07 14:04:18

Android Studio is entirely written in Java. Go download the 32-bit JDK and develop using that. As for iOS, you'd ned a Mac.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-10 09:29:58

@victor, you should enable the java access bridge.
And if i might ask, what are the best resources for us as blind people here on the forum to learn java for android?
thanks and best regards.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-09-10 11:44:52

I've recently posted some resources for learning Android in another topic. Hope this helps. However, after you learn Java enough, I would recommend you switching to Kotlin as soon as possible. Not because it's better, but it simplifies many tedious and painful stuff found in Java, such as dealing with null-pointer-exceptions, handling event listeners, or generating data. Plus it's now officially supported by Google.

2017-09-10 12:34:16

Do i need to know java to learn Cotlain?
Or can i just jump ahead and try learning cotlain?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-09-10 22:22:09

People usually recommend learning Java first and then switching to Kotlin. I've learned them both in last few months, but for some people with less programming experience it may require even more time. Nevertheless, have a look at my Kotlin topic on Kotlin where I've described the basics and then decide for yourself. Java code can be converted to Kotlin easily via IDE, but if you know them both, you may understand some Kotlin's advanced features better.

2017-09-11 23:38:43

Hello
and thank you
but from what I was told, java 8 is already enabled, and, where it should appear, only the jaws appear.
what do I do?
and already replaces the dlls

2017-09-15 02:43:18

Hello.
I'm interested in developing for android and downloaded the latest version of android studio. The only problem I'm having so far is turning on the java access bridge. Is there a way to do this without using the command prompt? I followed the instructions in the link in post 4 but they don't really make sense in the command prompt. I followed step 3 exactly but command prompt just says it can't find the path or that the program is not a valid  command. Could someone give me better instructions or show me an easier way to set up access bridge please? I've got all the components where they need to be I just need a way to set them up. I'm on a windows 7 32-bit I'm pretty sure. Oracle sure doesn't make things easy.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2017-09-15 16:00:41 (edited by Ethin 2017-09-15 16:01:19)

OK. You need to download both the 32-bit and 64-bit JDKs with public JREs. Then, in command prompt (don't change install paths), run:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre\bin\jabswitch.exe" -enable && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre\bin\jabswitch.exe" -enable
Then restart your screen reader and remove the 32-bit JDK and JRE and you should be good to go.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github