2017-09-08 17:52:43

Before I begin this post, I want to note that I am going to be incredibly careful with what I say and how I say it. I do not wish to falsely tarnish Redspot and/or anyone I speak of.

Redspot in and of itself is generally a lot of fun. You walk around a map and collect items to be used in building bases or killing other players. Most items are of a healing nature, defensive (shields) and offensive. This specifically is where my complaints start. When starting out on Redspot, figuring out what the items do is not always easy; for example I had to ask multiple times what food coolers do, as their use is not intuitive before I finally received an answer. This is due to the fact that the readme looks really outdated, even if it was recently updated with a tutorial and the only way you're supposed to figure things out is by asking and/or reading the changelog. This always doesn't work however as the changelog is only updated with the clients and thus you'll be a few iterations behind until the client updates. When updates are finally given, you'll see something like "Added a sniper rifle," but you don't know anything about the rifle, including range or area covered after the shot is fired. Really, the only people who really know what this stuff does as it's added are people on Sam's team, which I will get to very soon. If you specifically read the changelog, you see things like "Fuck you cheaters," without any explanation. So while these items are all generally strategy based, there is literally no way of knowing how they work all the time, which includes distances, damage, etc. Usually when questions are asked, Sam, someone from his team or Eroe (who is also on Sam's team) respond; eroe usually speaks of his response based on what code he's seen of redspot, which helps explain certain things. I do believe that having proper documentation would be a great step. Really, this is quite simple but probably not going to happen. Changes are made without any information and you're left to your own devices to figure out how they all work. Though I have messaged and people from UKA have said that it's easy to figure things out, it clearly is not because people to this day still ask about food coolers and they were added weeks ago. As numerous players have commented, certain changes are made without much forethought as to how they will affect players or the game balance as a whole. For example, one recent bug (which is supposed to prevent AFK abusers) prevents you from  going AFK if you're hungry because you're taking damage. On top of this, the message is not remotely descriptive and contains a typo. These are things that would've been spotted if someone had taken more than a minute to write and deploy this, and it's been broken for quite some time.

As I mentioned previously, Sam's team (UKA/PWN) are generally the first to know how things work and the first to strategically deploy them. The solution for this is pretty clear; it's well known that Sam hangs out with his team on Teamtalk where he can usually be seen after specific changes like item-carying projectiles are implemented. As a result, it follows that people are able to ask him questions in person, and his team seems to have the most information about how things work. This isn't to say that Sam himself shouldn't communicate with his team, or that his team shouldn't be able to ask him questions; he has as much right (if not more) than anyone else to play the game. What it does say though is that proper documentation of individual features is very important to players understanding how to use said features, especially those that are not initially intuitive such as food coolers, which would allow more players beyond just the team to understand those items initially.

Perhaps the most frustrating issue with redspot is the vast amount of exploits and cheats that are around. Players generally throw around ideas and cheats on team coms, such as going linkdead to get around AFK or get through stun time, which is absurd. As far as I am aware, the UKA/PWN team has been raided by someone impersonating them at least 3 times, and there are probably more because I'm not up on the current redspot news generally. I am aware of at least two instances where people were complaining about others cheating ammo or moving without actually moving (speedhacking basically) to stay out of range of specific attacks. This basically means that the best way to win at Redspot is to cheat; and if the most powerful team in the game is getting hit, it means that lesser teams are much more vulnerable, regardless of the amount of skill and forethought used in their team and decisions. To make things worse, the only admin who I know of that is fair is Stoner420. I was booted by Blaze for going afk in a fight, simply because I was fighting someone on his team. I was given this boot despite the fact that I couldn't respond to him because I had a legitimate reason for going AFK (my mother who I was with at the time needed me to do something for her). This resulted in me losing a few hours worth of work in item collecting. If you speak to God, he'll tell you that he doesn't want to deal with admin things, or he's very shaky on whether or not he wants to actually use his admin powers. You have two extremes here, with Blaze being quick on the ban/kicks (and he'll openly say his ban finger is soar), or God who refuses to listen to anyone but who will jump on, presumably from a message from someone on his team when things are happening. This, I have witnessed myself, as Nakon has said "I will get an admin" and an admin appears. Interestingly, if an every-day player were to have issues with the game, they wouldn't be able to just "get an admin."

Ultimately what this review boils down to is that Redspot is fun, but it was written by a kid who has a lot more development to go in the skills department. If you look at the difference in his pay-to-play game (Survive The Absurd) and Redspot, you can see very stark differences in even the client. Beyond that, cheating and abuse of the rules is rampant, and people either complain about it or just quit because that is the only option available. I recommend Redspot if you want a bit of fun, but it depends on how many people have juiced themselves up to God status on whether or not it's playable. If you just attack vanilla players who are collecting items, you're probably in for some fun fights, but I do not recommend investing time into a base, team or loads of equipment; you'll run the risk of blaze's ban finger if you need to AFK or destruction by a cheater who will inevitably get away with it regardless. It's pretty apparent that Sam does not care to fix any of this, and when things are mentioned Blaze retorts by yelling about players or Sam finds some really confusing excuses about why it happens or why he can't add very basic features to his game to protect his players. Why there does not exist an account system I do not know.

It's also worth note that the people who seem to do this cheating get away with it because the admins seem to have little to no power apart from kick and ban. I've seen a player openly taunt people saying "You can't prove I'm cheating," when the admin stops talking because it seems they really can't. If this is remotely true, admins are given the most destructive commands without any to little ability to investigate any other issues apart from hear-say or what they themselves witness. As they are well known, when the cat is away the mice will play, so to speak. Also many of these systems are broken at a minimum. I have heard people state that because someoen was banned, they too were also banned. I do not know what is used since there is not an account system, but this is troubling and shows how bad these systems are.

Ultimately, remember that this game is made by a kid, ran by kids for the most part and all decisions will be made with the maturity of a 15 year old. That's not always a bad thing, but I have come to not expect any level of professional behavior from Sam or the admins of this game, and I do not play for long periods at a time anymore because so many things can go wrong that are outside of game parameters; server crash, 30 second warning before server reboots, etc that just destroys everything you have built up. It's sad really that the level of standards are so low in the audio game community that Redspot as one of the primary FPS games gets so much attention because nothing has been done that is better.

2017-09-08 18:19:05

well about the item problem, you can usually reference my guide in the articles room. Its more up to date than the readme, because I always try to update it as soon as I've tried or tested out a new item or mecanic that was added if I know how it works. This is something sam can't do with the stock readme unless he updates the client as well. This is why my online version will probably usually be the more up to date one. Simply go to
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18883

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-09-08 19:16:57

Hello!
Timrsvan, well-written, thumbs up for that!
That was well-written. I myself have been banned from Redspot because of simply a bug where you are told that this Name was still logged in when in fact you already logged out (this, by the way, has been around for a very Long time).
And about Stoner: I still don't understand why he is even an admin. To my Knowledge, a guy with the redspot Name stoner has been bullying Players, at least, I read that on the Forum.
And there is in fact something better than Redspot: The Killer. But be sure to add an exception for it in your antivirus program because it is detected as a Virus, but that is a false positive.

Have a nice Day

Julian

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2017-09-08 21:00:26 (edited by Ethin 2017-09-08 21:02:37)

I have to agree with what's been said here. People rave about Sam and his supposed amazing product development skills and forget that just because someone can develop something does not immediately make that particular someone better than someone else, or the best developer in an entire community of approximately 23,076 members. Developing something like an online game is one thing. Actually managing it is another. And I'd like to add that good developers do not develop sloppy things (i.e. things that have lots of bugs that are easily fixed, etc). A good developer fixes bugs as soon as he/she is notified about one or they discover it themselves. Sam may have developed an online game, but he certainly isn't the first who's done this, nor is he the greatest (the fact that he fails to fix bugs that degrade the games overall quality when he is notified about their existence proves this). I could develop the next-generation of machine virtualization technology, and I could put a lot of hard work into it. But if the quality is bad, or the technology is so buggy it causes people to no longer enjoy using it, chances are it will lose popularity very quickly, which will then make it a product that has 'lost it's usefulness', as some would say. Quality and development go hand-in-hand. If the quality is bad, then it's not much of a leap in logic to say that the skills of the developer are bad as well; similarly, if the development skills of the developer are bad, it's not a massive leap of logic to see that the quality is bad too. Now, if this was a hack-together type of project to accomplish a certain set of tasks that could be easily automated, then sloppy work is fine and even encouraged -- developers write sloppy code for little shell scripts and other little programs that accomplish a set list of tasks all the time. But if your going to publish an online product that's closed source and that is possibly shareware, and you've promised to maintain it, then you have to uphold that bargain and maintain the product as best you can. If your best still isn't enough for the community then it's quite obvious that you can no longer develop the product on your own; this is where developer teams come in. So if you develop a good product in theory but it turns out bad and/or very buggy in practice, even when you've put all your time and effort into it, it's time to higher some extra hands so that you can have assistance in maintaining it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-08 21:13:14

@3: I have never seen stoner bully players. He fights them and he's dam good at the game, but that's the extent. Please don't propigate what you've heard as fact, because it's nowhere near fact. You also seem to just be shoving TK down people's throat, which is interesting to me because it's got more bugs than RS and was created from stolen code. This is fact and has been shown.

@post 4:
I don't even know where to begin with this, it sounds like you have a personal issue with sam. First of all, noone said sam was the best developer, Sam himself even admits he's got a lot to learn. I would put him in the top of the better developers however. A good developer doesn't "fix bugs the minute that they're out." I'm not really sure why certain things have not been fixed, but it's important to realize that sam has two projects going, personal projects and school and other things to deal with. Just because you don't jump on fixing bugs right away does not make you at any level a lesser developer. As a developer, it's important to get your product out there and then iterate and fix. It's pretty clear the product is out and it's getting better over time. If you think that "good developers" create bug-free software, I'd be interested to see your portfolio of good software. If you think Redspot could be better or is done poorly, I would also be interested to see what you could and/or have offered to the community as a whole that enables you to make such claims.

2017-09-08 21:58:22

I agree with ethin though and post 1. This game really is only good for players starting out. Not exactly fare, but still playable. There's things to acomplish. Get items, and more items, and on. But once we get into the teams and bases, that's where its crap. Sam is part of a team on his game, so its clear that that team is the best team in the game. This is also where the imature factor comes in, as in most fps games, call of duty, modern warfare, etc, the main developers don't actively play and constantly make sure no other team can take them down. Sam knows this, but continues to constantly have somebody online from uka guarding their base, and there's always so many baracade bombs around it that nobody could even try to attack it. Honestly i'm starting to think the admins abuse their powers so that they can basicly have unlimited health and items. The game is very, very severely unbalanced and will continue to be unless something is done, witch judging by how things or now? Nothing will be done. Redspot was fun for a time, but its turned into a game where no matter how hard you try, no matter how many items you get or players you kill, you'll always get killed by a uka member and this continues in an endless cycle of frustration. Teams get formed, bases built, but with in 30 minutes at most, the base is destroyed. This game is very immature.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-08 22:40:19

There is only one thing that is invalid here @post 1. I agree you do have some very good points, but there is one thing that is very very invalid here. When you said that I don't care about fixing them. How is it obvious. Because I have not released the update in your allotted time frame? Me and a lot of people have been brainstorming for months ways to fix a lot of the issues you've mensioned. I could understand if it appears apparent that I am ignoring these issues, but they are actually harder to fix than it may appear on the surface. For example the change log. I've been trying to figure out a good system so that the game can download sounds, updated readme's, changelogs, etc for a while now. But something like that, you think oh, it's easy. Just code an updater. But then, think of this. If I just code an updater, people may be able to sniff it, and say, download the sounds with out propper encryption. This is just an example. Coding stuff like that is slightly complicated. The thing is , you are saying right now that a lot of my systems are slightly broken which yes, is absolutely true. But then you follow up by saying that it is clear that I have no obligation to fix them. But let me ask you this. Why, do you think the systems are broken. Because similar topics and posts like this beg beg beg beg beg and beg for me to add a system and fix it. Just add it. Now! I try to explain my reasons for not adding it, but they are ignored and if I don't add the system it's clear right then that I have no obligation to fix the project. So, I rush, to try to make people happy. I code a system in 30 minutes so that people can be satisfied, so that the system people are begging for with out listening to my explanations as to why it has not been added yet, are happy. And then, a month or 2 later, it turns out that I was right. My reasoning for not rushing a system like you all want me to is proven true. The system is then buggy and broken because people kept pounding me and pounding me until I said OK what ever, and coded it in 30 minutes. I try to explain why a system takes a month to be coded propperly. I try explaining why this or that won't work. But people just give up the game until I add the system quickly so that it scemes like the content is being added. And then when inevitably the system fails because of bugs, I again take the full blame for that and when I don't fix the bugs in 20 minutes, I am also told that I have no obligation to fix the game. You do have great points when you are saying what is wrong with the game. But, and I know this can get hard for the consumer to understand, they take time to fix if they are to be fixed properly with out introducing other issues. You mentioned specifically that AFK bug where when you get hungry and try going AFK it says YOu can't go AFK right now. The entire thing with being hungry was because it became such an issue when cheaters purposefully went AFK in fights, I was forced to abandon all thinking, and code a fix now now now, that made it so if your health changed in 30 seconds or you were 2 close to another player, you couldn't go AFK. When humans rush, they miss things. In that particular case, I completely forgot about the hunger thing. I was so rushed I didn't even think about spelling errors. You guys, or at least a lot of you guys, put so much pressure on me, and exponentially increase it until I do what you want r+regardless of the flaws in it that I try to explain. Then, the flaws are revealed, and it's again my fault for not coding a perfect system at your guises request.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2017-09-08 23:33:06

@post 6, I want to address your points.
you say:
"Sam is part of a team on his game, so its clear that
that team is the best team in the game."
Just because sam is part of the team doesn't make it the best team. I and many others have put hours of work into building the team and building the base. Just because Sam is on (sam hardly plays to be honest) does not make it the best team, nor the fact that we have stuff from hours of work does not mean that we cheat. If you're going to say so, please provide proof. I agree that admins should not play as admins and most systems have a way to deal with this, but RS does not, so therefore admins have to play as themselves. It's important for those who work on a game to also play, otherwise it will be unbalanced.
you say: >"Sam knows this, but continues to constantly have somebody online from uka guarding their base, and there's always so many baracade bombs around it that nobody could even try to attack it."
First of all, Nakon stays around because Nakon wants to stay around, not because Sam requests it. He built the team before Sam or anyone else joined, and he continues to run the team. If nakon says something about how UKA runs, Sam, and any admins listen to him because it's his team. There are times when people attack that we don't even do anything simply because it's not worth leaving. In regards to the barricade bombs, every team puts bar bombs around their base. People can and do get through them, almost daily if not much more.
you proclaim: "Honestly i'm starting to think
the admins abuse their powers so that they can basicly have unlimited health and items."
What gives you that impression? Post #1 already suggested it, and I'll verify that admins do not have the abillity to give themselves items. It's sort of funny that they're being accused of all kinds of things they didn't do. We work to get the items, and just because you don't understand the basics of a game (and it's clear you don't because you speak of barricade bombs being unbreakable), does not mean by any stretch of the imagenation that the team is cheating and that Nakon stays afk to keep the team alive at Sam's bidding. As I've said before and as I'll say again, these are very weighty claims you're making, and I would like to ask that you don't accuse people of cheating simply because you don't know game mechanics.

2017-09-08 23:36:42

I'd like to point out one more thing in response to post #6. Our team as the initial post has lost items due to cheats. We have not gotten the items back and had to work to get them back. Someone at one point cheated to get themselves into our base and dropped tons of barricade bombs. I know we worked up to full strength again because I helped item grab for 5 hours straight after we repaired all the equipment with -700000 hp. We have been hit harder than anyone because of these cheats and exploits, and it's utterly absurd to suggest that admins could cheat, because I wouldn't have had to spend 5 hours grabbing. Of course if you're going to by default believe that the admins cheat, you're probably not going to believe anything I'm saying and I'm just wasting space typing all of this out, but my points still stand.

2017-09-08 23:55:12

@1
Sam tries to keep the new item descriptions on the MOTD. However this is obviously subject to change, and thus isn't reliable. One thing I can thinkof would be an id command, like in alter for example.
Some of us on UKA/PWN are beta members, definitely not  all but some. So when a new update comes out? Why the hell not login and play around with the new items? You can look at it from more than one angle. I personally think it encourages players to start using the item, not to mention I don't know any of us who aren't willing to explain how something works, again an ID command would be good here. Others are given a chance to learn how the new stuff works as well and before you know it we're getting attacked.
cheating and speedhacking has unfortunately been an issue lately, and there's gonna be a client update hopefully in the near future to fix a lot of it. And no, not another speedhack stopping clientside system that falsely reports them with a far from quiet sound. Best thing to do is report stuff you see.
With AFK. I agree situations like this need some more investigation. However, how much true investigation can be done when assholes are going AFK like this all the time? Giving the benefit of the doubt simply doesn't work. I've seen a lot of them, as I've fought cheaters and it completely takes fun out of the game, not like the same thing can't be said for being kicked.
I completely agree with post 5, would've said close to the same. Most here aren't aware of stolen source issues, at least on the TK front, and neither do they want to deal with it. Lets not make this into another, "game X is better than game Y because of this or that." but wanna talk about a flawless game or developer? Please, please, let me know when you find one.

@6
I don't know how much you've played RS much, but you should've noticed that their has been many teams in the past who've had a lot of power and he wasn't on them, nor were any admins. This team has survived because some people said "you know what? I wanna see how much health I can add to a base. Yeah, we've been attacked. Yeah, people have taken items by way of cheating. But each time we've got some item grabbers and started rebuilding. I think it does get tedious after a while, but its something to do in spare time. Sam himself doesn't come online that much.

2017-09-08 23:58:34

@5, 8, and 9, that is exactly why I recommended Sam stop developing all his projects on his own. He needs others to help him, and the lack of such a developer team is what's causing such a lapse in development. If there were more people developing the game, then these bugs would get fixed faster. I don't have time to reply to the rest of your post, but I'll do that once I get back.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-09 00:16:43

Hello, I just wanted to pop in. It's nakon here.
Basically I don't like the posts and slander I'm seeing about my team. We've worked insanely hard to build our base, and build our items, and for people to call us cheaters, it's insulting. Also, just so we're clear, I'm not an admin, and I'm the leader of UKA. Also, I would like to point out, that we are probably the victims of more cheaters and bug abusers then any other team.
And as for the issue of not being able to make a team, that's got nothing to do with UKA. This is what I see happen every time a team forms. The team getts formed, nobody is on the same page so they all go do what they want. The team members don't work together to build up their base or donate any items or coins. They betray one another and kill eachother from the inside. The most important aspect to a team, is team work. If you can't work together, then you'll never even compete with us and that's not because we're cheating, or because their are admins on our team. It's because we work together as a team, we make decisions as a whole, we vote and agree on stuff.
And as for the question of items like food coolers, a lot of times, we do explain it, but either people aren't listening, or aren't paying attention, and we get tired of repeating ourselves over and over and over again if you don't know how to read chat history, I'm sure at least that command is in the read me.

2017-09-09 00:19:31 (edited by Dakonna 2017-09-09 00:29:50)

ok, so to the person who was complaining about barricades, you obviously don't know about the fact that concussive grenades are a cheep, and from what I can gather, ledgit way to break through them. Step near a bomb, use the concussive, use a parachute, and there you go. The bombs detonate without you losing any health. Also, I'm backing up uka members here. On the times I fight with them, they don't cheat. When they defend their base against attacks, they don't cheat at least from what I can see. Do I still attack them? Yeah, sure. But that's mostly to have something to do, because unlike many others on the game I don't feel like going around with 300k health and murdering people with 1000 health, just to wait for them to respawn so I can do it again. When I do this, its only to get our team some kills if we're lagging behind, but ultimately I want a challenge, and the occasional run against the uka base is the perfect one just to see how much health I can take away from it by myself. What nakon says about other teams is unfortunately very true, and I've seen it happening far too often. This is why I usually don't team, unless I know the people in it the team. Most of the time I like to go it solo because of this, and I'm mostly more efficient then. And before people call me out for acting hypocritical to what I said about a year ago, that's something that really shouldn't be an issue anymore. If you can't get past last year's events, you should probably look into getting a mature mindset.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-09-09 00:29:55

@11 what exactly makes your recommendations worth following? People are allowed to have solo projects (and he has accepted help before--I've added a couple things, Mason adds stuff sometimes). You speak as if there's some reason to listen to your recommendations or your skewed viewpoints.

2017-09-09 00:52:42 (edited by Ethin 2017-09-09 00:54:06)

@sorressean:
First, when did I ever say Sam had to be perfect. When did I ever say he had to be Mr. Perfect, flawless, superlative Sam? I never said that. I did, however, say that a good developer does respond to bug reports as soon as they here about them or discover it themselves. However, that statement is open for debate and is definitely open for exceptions.
Second, I understand that Sam may have chosen to work alone. Perhaps he's more efficient when he works alone. Perhaps he isn't. But I never said that he absolutely must always follow my recommendations without question or objection. That's why it's called a recommendation. It's not an order, a demand, a command, or any other type of directive. It's a simple recommendation. Whether Sam chooses to follow it -- hell, whether anyone chooses to follow it -- is their opinion and decision. I simply recommended that he get a development team together, people he trusts, to help him code the game. As I said before, it would speed up development of the game, get bugs fixed faster... really, must I outline every single benefit that a development team has to offer, when you no doubt already know, you being a developer yourself? I admit -- Sam is a great developer for his age. But as many of us have pointed out on this topic, he has a lot to learn. I'd say that for all of us on this entire forum -- we have a lot to learn in lots of different areas and fields. But (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems as if, judging by post 7, Sam is starting to feel the pressure of a user base and the work that is involved with it; he is starting to strain under the load of maintaining the game and responding to user suggestions as they come; and administering the game at the same time. While the third one is already dealt with, the first and second aren't. As you have said, he has school, homework... an education to pursue along with developing two projects simultaneously. That's why I suggested, or recommended, a development team, maybe even too. It would not only take off a lot of the load he's got on his shoulders at this time, but it would also free him to pursue other activities that may be far more important than a game or project he's working on.
Also, whether my views are skewed is a matter of opinion. If you think so, send me a PM on how you personally think I could "improve" them. But after reading this post, I'd advise you (again, I am just advising you) to reconsider your opinion of my supposed skewed views.

My Github

2017-09-09 02:12:23

Who ever said that I said baracade bombs were unbeetable, I didn't. What I ment was, baracade bombs can be destroyed, but with uka, when one gets destroyed another 10 are put in place right away. Somebody even laughed at me for destroying them and said they could be replaced within seconds.
As for who I am on the game, i'm Blind Jedi, the one who constantly goes after you when i'm online.
One more thing, please, please for the love of god, change that god damn death sound! Its not at all realistic, and sounds fake. Please change it! I can't stand it, and I know many others who can't either.

2017-09-09 02:25:53 (edited by BigGun 2017-09-09 02:29:43)

So basicly here it is. Most things are true. I have to agree with Sam that job on the game isn't easy, and that menny people press him, etc. I am, my self making something in bgt, at the moment and I don't need to tell you all how it was problematic. So I understand Sam's position. How ever, I agree that he should have some help. Survive the wild is mutch more difficult project then redspot, and bugs in stw take longer then in rs. I may be rong, but it stands, Sam is doing as mutch as he can. As for admins or devs on the team, as farr as I know, only things that makes admins different from other players is that they can kick or ban, or maybe restart the server. As regards stoner, he's a very good player, and I simply don't know what do you meen by boollying. As for blaze, I have to agree that he is of a type who kicks or banns before thinking. That doesn't meen that he's cheeting, as I have all reddy said only thing that they can do is kick/bann. I have to agree with conner about the teams. trust me, I have managed a few times to reach about 270000 health by my self. I have asked nothing from uka, maybe someone attacked me, but I have easyly send them away. As for uka cheeting, that's only child's storry. I know well enough, every 30 seconds, someone from uka starts to use an item grabber. I have never bin in it, but if we ask naken to give us the history of team chat, I am quite shoor that he won't give it big_smile But anyway, we all see that they are workiing well as the team. But now, my thoughts. review is quite good, fumbs up for that. There is a very grate point in wich disagree. That thing about afk, you just need to make shoor that nobody is around so nobody can say that you have gon afk in a fight. But, I agree with that thing about mussn't loos health for 30 seconds, then you can go afk. Maybe if there was an acception that you can go afk if you are loosing health from hunger, or that you an go afk anyway in a bace. In short, redspot is fun, but it needs better management.
Kind regards,
Aleksandar
Ps: to last post, I have to agree. They are very quick, and even if you explode about 10 ov them, there come 20 more.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-09-09 03:45:01

@15: you made a lot of assertions, most of them beginning with "a good developer does" and pushed your viewpoints. Have you stopped to consider what creation of a development team would mean? It means that you have to trust implicitly everyone with your code so that there's not another TK, it means that you have to do a code review to make sure that everything is up to your standards and works the way you want, and it means more code is added that you need to be aware of. It simply converts the time spent working on code to time spent managing a team that can work on code. I've been in a position where I had to choose to make a development team, and I simply did not want the hastle of dealing with that and relying on others.
@16: you talk about trying to damage our base, yet everything you've done thus far has been pathetic. When you say that one barricade goes down and 10 go up, that's simply not true, because we have a pattern to place our barricades. The only thing you've ever done is land on our barricades and talk a lot of trash to the team, then whine when you get killed. Get some skill, gain some strategy and attack and then we'll talk. Until then, your attacks show you know little to nothing of game mechanics, and your claims that you're respected, a great player and you will single handedly destroy this base because you've supposedly done so to others is blatantly false and your very loud persistent complaints back that up.

2017-09-09 05:46:10 (edited by defender 2017-09-10 03:11:22)

Blaze is a pretty bad admin, he should have been canned after the first week, he has too much indecision and too little social maturity.

Stoner doesn't bully people on purpose, he just doesn't give a shit, he's a good admin though.

Nakon's base is so powerful because nakon has no life and will literally spend all night getting grabbers, using them, and putting wood on the base, it's actually kind of sad, he's even said he likes resource management games allot more than fps's most of the time.

Nakon's team has some assholes on it, in terms of how they treat other players, jazzy jay, blaze, etc, it's a game about killing people, so to some extent you get what you get, but they still make them selves useful enough in terms of resource collecting that Nakon isn't willing to put his foot down and filter out the trash, even though he outwardly dislikes the same kinds of people when they aren't on his team. So these spammy fuckers with big mouths who don't like to have a good fight most of the time get tons of resources that they wouldn't usually be able to get on their own to help overcome  any gaps in their skillset, combine that with a lack of respect and an easily amused simpleton attitude and you reap what you sow.

Sam doesn't want a dev team because he is terrified of getting his code stolen, it's happened multiple times, but allot of the problem is his shit security which he doesn't seem to want to work on, even though he admits that it's a problem, his code has also been described as very haphazard by other coders, and though he is open to it on the surface, I think he very much dislikes being told what he's done wrong and how he could improve it, which kind of sucks for the players, but from the standpoint of a young dev who's already done so much more than most, it makes sense.

Sam's point about getting hounded to add sloppy systems is a good one, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, I've seen it first hand, and he's faster at fixing bugs than several other devs I've seen in this community, but he also adds his own personal whims, basically what he thinks would be cool, which often messes up the balance of the game and or has allot of bugs associated with it, he does usually get around to fixing the problems that he's created, but it usually take him a while.

Sam just isn't going to care as much about redspot as he does about stw, because one makes him money and the other doesn't, money which he does use mostly for improving his games by the way, I give him props for giving a shit at all, actually, so don't expect nothing, but also don't expect allot.

2017-09-09 10:12:01

Have to agree with defender. I have never had any problems with blaze, but he sounds a strange customer as an admin. I also understand that Sam actually earns something from STW, while from redspot he gets absolutely nothing. @18  I simply don't know why do you have to an ass in this topic. No afence, but some of your points are rong in the deepest. Anyone can try to get froo those baracade bombs, and that's not a reason to attack someone like that. About taking new devs, I think that it's just  not practical I meen, if you are going to have someone to help you , you musst  accept others ideas and make your own. Everyone in the production has the right to edit that source code, and if someone disagrees just change something or remove it.
Kind regards,
Aleksandar

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-09-09 10:39:13

I'm an ass because I'm tired of people suggesting that just because they don't have the skill to damage our base means we're cheating. I also have many many years and official jobs as a developer. I know what it's like to manage a team and to be a solo developer, and these are things that I think sam grasps as well. It's not as simple as creating a team, anyone can do that. A dev team needs to be handled properly. It's not just about letting people change your code, it's about reviewing that code to make sure that there are no security implications, and making sure that the code is what you want. The simple fact that you say you can "just remove it" shows your experience in this field, and I don't say that to be rude. Managing a team of developers is hard work for the most part and if sam doesn't want to do that, then Sam shouldn't have to answer to someone throwing around assertions about what a good developer does.
He starts off by saying:
"People rave about Sam and his supposed amazing product development skills and forget that just because someone
can develop something does not immediately make that particular someone better than someone else, or the best developer in an entire community of approximately
23,076 members."
This right off the bat tells me he has an issue with Sam, which is fine, but don't be quite so obvious about it. The initial poster's topic didn't talk about sam's skills, and using "supposed amazing product development skills" is already right off the bat setting the tone for the rest of the message. nor does the initial post (or any other post but #4) talk about whether or not sam is the best developer in a community of <insert registered number of forum users here>. This in and of itself is not even an accurate statement, as all of the registerd users of this forum are not developers and as I've previously stated, sam's skills are not being called into question by the initial poster, certainly not to the extent of discussing whether or not his skills are amazing or whether or not he's the best developer in this community.
He says: "And I'd like to add that good developers do not
develop sloppy things (i.e. things that have lots of bugs that are easily fixed, etc)."
I'm not really sure where any of this comes from, but I guess we have vastly different ideas on what makes a good developer a good developer. What might appear easily fixable from the outside might not be an easily fixable bug on the inside and vice versa. So again we're casting aspersions at sam's skills by saying that "good developers fix bugs right away."
he says:
"Sam may have developed an online game, but he certainly isn't the first who's done this, nor is he the greatest (the
fact that he fails to fix bugs that degrade the games overall quality when he is notified about their existence proves this)."
We keep discussing whether or not sam is the greatest, which leads me to think #4 didn't bother reading the initial post, or he's taking this as an opportunity to attack Sam. Just because he does not fix bugs right away does not make him or anyone else a bad developer. See also: real life.
I'm not going to cover the rest of the post, as it's just useless bluster to bolster the initial invalid points to begin with while trying in vain to establish #4 as the authority on a topic of which he clearly is clueless. The fact that we're attacking the character of a developer of a game and insinuating that they are not good developers because they do not immediately fix bugs is a problem, so I hope you'll excuse me for being a bit irritable.

As someone who has spoken to sam, who has written a tiny bit on redspot and who has heard and discussed some of the proposed solutions for certain bugs, I understand that it can be frustrating to deal with them in the game. I get frustrated myself and I know that things are coming eventually, so I fully realize what this feels like to most people. Complaints thus far to my experience fall into three categories: troll, unskilled and issues that need to be fixed. You can place the first two in a group together, because it's people like BlindJedi who lose or who fail to employ a modicum of strategy in a game, then suggest Sotto voce that the reason they're losing is not because they could get better at the game, but because everyone is cheating. While I understand that people do cheat (and everyone here admits that), it's also worth realizing that most games that are of any complexity are of the type that can be started and where you can become master within 30 seconds or even 30 minutes. It took me a decent amount of time to learn Redspot, and it took everyone on UKA a while as well; many of our members are still getting better.

It's really easy to suggest that the solutions could just be fixed if sam does X, but the solutions are generally much deeper than that. Believe me, if he could implement a one-size-fits-all solution he would do it, because it would make the game better, but it would also lessen the headache and complaints received from most people.

2017-09-09 15:02:20

Sorressean, I don't know why you say I have no stratigy. Just because I single handedly come after you with grenades and crap doesn't mean I have no stratigy, I just don't have a good team. But why, you ask? Well, your team has made the game communist by being the strongest team ever to exist in the game and all of you having no life witch allows you to constantly upgrade your base. You love the feeling of power so much that you don't allow anybody to play the game farely. So yes, because i'm a single person and your all way, way too over powered, it may seem like I have no stratigy, but its because your so powerful that it seems that way. I have even done things like send item carrying projectiles to your base with explosives but its your bases seeming unlimited health that causes me to seem like a weak moron. And I could have a team, its just impossible to maintain a base with you uka pricks comstently destroying any other teams who come into existence, its impossible to get one going.

2017-09-09 16:08:28

There is currently a base with somewhere between 18 and 28 mil hp (they fought someone last night, not sure where that stood). Sending random explosives is not the solution, nor is grenading our base. You can keep insulting us and saying we have no lives, but the reality is you suck and bluster doesn't account for skill.

2017-09-09 16:49:05

@22
We don't allow anyone to play fairly?
We do have a shit ton of base health, however our experience with some cheaters and even some good determined players has taken down our item count considerably. And the reason we have a lot of health in the first place?
You say:
"its just impossible to maintain a base with you uka pricks comstently destroying any other teams who come into existence, its impossible to get one going."
Have you ever heard of CAT? Maybe FBI? There's plenty more. Going after our base? Great strategy, especially when there's team members there to keep killing you when you do it. If only you could use those resources to attack us. Hmm, or if that's not the stile, wait till we're item grabbing and have fun with item carying projectiles.
I feel like this topic has gone down to slinging personal insults, those which in some cases aren't necessary in getting the point across. It doesn't seem to me that was the original posters intent, but what can you expect?

2017-09-09 17:06:13

For me RS is good for a quick play and kill someone.
But the amount of drama that is on the game and on the ag forum makes me feel very disappointed, because I don't want to be a part of this drama.
About bug fixing: look at the Great Software Development, the company responsible for The Return Of The King. You ask them about feature? Unless its not anything huge you'll have it added, for example the NVDA support. I asked the edveloper about this, and in the next client update I saw NVDA support. The immaturity of the admin team? Oh yes, I agree with that, I fucking have to agree. I would even say, that just players like me and many others are more mature than the admin team.
Ah, and I would forgot about the game balance.
Sam, I know you don't have to be a pro-gamer to develop games, but at least try to read something about the game genre you're trying to develop.
Ban me, do what you want
Regards,
N

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com