2017-09-04 06:41:43

Hey and good morning all you people.
So, the plans of getting an xbox are slowly taking shape, the only thing I have to decide now on is if I should get the xbone or xbone s.
Well, but another thing is there.
We have a TV round here, but I honestly don't know how to set it up correctly yet. So, till I know how it works, I wanted to try hooking the thing up to my PC, getting video and auio onto my laptops screen and speakers.
I sadly just have an HDMI out port, but for those who for example record directly from the gaming system, how do you do that?
I heard about something called capture cards, is that what I need or is there another solution?
Thanks in advance.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-09-04 06:56:58

If you want video then you will need a capture card. If you just want audio, get any external soundcard with an optical audio port, or use the optical audio port on the xbox1 to an analogue converter which can go into your lapop's mic or line jack.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-09-04 07:33:07

Or hook up a jack to jack cable from the headphone jack on your tv to the line in port on your computer to only get the audio.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-09-04 19:18:47

Yes, a capture card is the only way to get audio and video. If you just want audio, use the other suggestions already posted.

2017-09-05 02:49:36

Hi.
Yeah, audio would be enough for a first one actually, with video, can someone than also see the game from the xbox on the computer screen or isn't that possible?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-09-05 06:02:06

Well, yes. It'd be pointless for a gamer to use a capture card for video but not be able to see it. haha.

2017-09-06 06:46:06

Haha no, I thought you would hook the xbox up with the capture card on the PC, but in adition to that also on the TV, I didnt no really how the card works.
But, just to make sure, I need to have a TV for a first time start up? or can I just use the audio for PC for the first time setup?
Still have to make sure that narrator is available round here without switching to the US, else I have a problem.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-09-06 07:35:25

You need a tv for the first time setup, and you need some sighted assistance as well, unless something awesome has happened lately.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-09-06 09:23:24

Probably best to go with the TV, since Narrator may not start right away. And since consoles would only have one video output, that would have to go into the capture card. smile Hooking it up to the TV would work, but then the TV would have to go into the capture card... so there's really no point in the extra step. haha.

2017-09-07 06:54:48

Hi.
Urm yeah, had my stupid moment yesturday, seams logical to me.
So, I set it all up and narrator is working fine.
i really need that thing on the PC, because our TV downstairs is a pile of crap because it's always rebooting itself and reconfiguring picture and sound, it works for some seconds than and shuts down again.
Ok, just that I get it. The xbone has a headphone jak intigrated? I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable around, but someone said about a converter I need. which one exactly and what do I need to do? I have three ports on the right side of my machine, a headphone port, a microphone port and a line in port. So, i am a bit confused what I still need there.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-09-08 06:39:54

Hi.
So,  I found a little device called a dac, digital analog converter. Is this that what I need?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-09-08 08:35:22

You can use the headphone jack on the xbox1, just plug the 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable into your computer's line in. that should do the trick for you.

2017-09-08 10:22:54 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2017-09-08 10:24:11)

It's not a capture card that you need. Cards for installing in desktops. There are external capture devices you can get that work with laptops but that all sounds a bit like overkill. If you need video + audio, just get a cheap TV, a second hand one would be cheaper and easier than a capture device.

You can stream whatever is on your Xbox to your PC just by using the Xbox windows app, but there's a little bit of lag with that.

2017-09-09 17:42:49

@Simba
If you want to hear the audio of the game you're playing, you could always use the 3.5mm port on your controller.  What console model did you get in the end?  Just wondering.

As for getting audio+video, you could use an external capture card, but as was previously stated, that might be overkill.  Just get a 3.5mm cable and capture from a TV's 3.5mm out port.

Hope you get everything else going correctly.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-09-09 21:53:32

I don't think an external capture card is overkill... probably the easiest to get both in one especially on a laptop. Hooking up through the TV's 3.5 MM out port only gives you audio, and you still need to find a way to pass the video through to the computer and whatever capturing / streaming software. Easier to just get an all in one solution.