2017-05-11 18:43:21

HI, I am working on getting my bachelors in computer science, and I am looking at taking a java FX class in the fall. I have been talking with my teacher about other possibilities because it seems like it will be a very visual class. He is open to just about anything as long as it is event driven programming. I do not know anything about event driven programming, so any advice would be appreciated.

This is a two part question, that may not be in the right place, I apologize if it is not.

My first question is how accessible is Java FX? Could I use it to build audio games? A lot of the problem I am going to have is that my teacher uses netbeans to build projects that he said would probably take an unreasonable amount of time to build by hand. How ever, could I use parts of the Java FX library and angle my studies towards audio games?

My second question is does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do for this class? I suppose it does not have to be related to audio games, in which case this post is probably in the wrong place, but I would like it to. I am not certain, if I have to use java or not. That is the language primarily taught at my university though. I can check with him though and see if I could work in a different language.

Thanks,

TJ Breitenfeldt

2017-05-11 20:46:36

I looked into JavaFX a few years ago and found it wanting, but I don't remember anything specific other than it not feeling worth it for anything I was working on.
I avoid projects that require complex building, but it seems like a lot of that can be handled with command-line scripts (batch on Windows, for example). But, again, I avoid mainstream-style building whenever I can get away with a handful of source files and a classpath, so I'm probably very wrong.

Unless I badly misunderstand what is meant by "event-driven", it seems like you could use just about anything to get there. Swing was the one they were requiring when I got started, and Swing's events are AWT events. I don't remember if JavaFX differs much if at all from the Swing/AWT model.
Mostly, I stopped using Java for AudioGames for two main reasons: audio with Java is a pest to nail down, and Windows messes with redistribution in unpredictable ways, such that a third or more of users can't get anything to run after it's passed through Windows. No one's been able to explain this or how to fix it, but I think it's Windows changing capitalization, and Java is case-sensitive when it comes to filenames. So I switched to BGT because I was only giving up Java.awt.geom, which is overkill for most audiogames (much to my dismay). A better choice would be something like Python (Specifically Pyglet, since its event-handling, while a bit weird syntactically, is more event-like than Pygame's roling-like method). (BGT does not do events, and I had to fake it when porting my games from Java to BGT. Also, BGT has no visual output beyond the title bar and alert boxes, has no multithreading, and just don't bring it anywhere near academics.)

So, if old and dejected Java packages work, there are those. There's also Pyglet. For JavaFX specifically, I can't say much and am not in a position to check.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-05-12 01:37:25

Hi
My main programming language is java. I'm developing with the gui framework called swt.
For building i'm using the maven build system.
hope this help. Any questions just ask smile

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-05-12 23:14:43

I once tried some java fx (I used net beans).
I found it somewhat resembling programming with wpf and c#.

2017-09-07 04:57:53

hey
if you can talk more about the swt!
i look  to java fx, and i like, but i dont being started ,but, I go!

2017-09-07 08:18:20

Basicly "swt" is an user interface framework, that integrates with the native platform.
The way must use them are to dynamically load the jar for the platform the applications ran on.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-09-07 14:38:05

yes
you meet agood tutorial about this?