2016-10-03 06:35:57

It's actually best to attack the spectral blade user before one gets a chance to summon any load of them. I have yet to beat the game, just got to half of it so far, and love it of course.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-10-03 11:05:25 (edited by LazyCat 2016-10-03 11:06:05)

mata wrote:

It's actually best to attack the spectral blade user before one gets a chance to summon any load of them.

Yes, just like with bloats as soon as you see a goblin conjurer it is usually a good idea to throw darts at it or zap it with some wand. Also, sometimes instead of chasing after them it works better if you wait a turn in place, and then instead of running away it can actually step towards you.

2016-10-03 13:14:39

I really hate bloats, any kind of bloats. Sometime it just goes boom without me knowing, and even more like crap if the area is not in a room.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-02-18 09:23:01

Okay I know I'm a trifle late to the party on this one since the game went a bit wonkey on my old machine, but I do like the idea of another rpg, indeed I've been trying to play rogue likes for years and not found a good way other than angband, supernova and large graphic tiles.

I've downloaded the windows ful version from the first post but I'm not sure what I'm doing.
I couldn't find a readme in the program folder.
by hitting random keys did manage to start the game and get speech, however I can't find any help files to tell me about key config, either for speech or the game.
I know in most roguelikes the slash or question mark is usually the help key, however when I press that I see text on the screen but espeak won't read it.

Some help on getting started would be great since a bit of poking around does suggest this is probably an amazing game and just my cup of tea once I can get into it.

Oh and yes, I realize that I could probably find the answers in this topic, --- but come on, I'm lazy big_smile.

Also if I am to make a database entry for the game I'll need to include some information on how people can get up and running with it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-02-18 12:05:26

@Dark

Your questions can all be found right over here
(Link above takes you to the keyboard comands page.)

2017-02-18 12:56:12

I am not sure if i tryed the last version. I remember i asked lazycat about a final update and he said he would make one last release. Did i missed it?
Could someone provide a pack with the game and the last release of the accessible-pack?

Dark: You realy should try crawl stonesoup. If you dont have a problem with using the autoexploring you will have a lot of fun with this too!

2017-02-18 22:23:40

not sure whatever happened to him, he seems to have disappeared.  Anyone asked on the reddit?

2017-02-19 14:53:23

Hmmm,  is rather odd. I sort of assumed that the version in the first post on source forge would be the latest one.

the wiki also doesn't list speak keys for checking what is around you with the screen reading system, which is rather strange, indeed at the I'm a little confused since Ill find something with the arrow keys, hit enter to look at it then can't actually walk to it, or I'll hit tab to examine something, to be told where it is, only for it to be some distance away.

This actually seems to be the general problem with roguelikes, that nobody has yet found a good way of actually explaining the terrain, unless there are other keys that I am missing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-16 12:20:05

Hi, is there some news about brogue speak ? If the coder is still ready to work on this, i can help him/her with a review. Does anyone has his/her mail ?

2017-08-31 17:21:12

greetings. think I've missed most of the links here, but can someone give me the latest version?
thanks in advance

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2017-08-31 17:41:18

I'm not really sure how you pla this, i've been able to play around and kill some things before but its pretty confusing, i'm not sure where I need to go.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-08-31 19:15:39

How heavy into RPG is this game. I don't mind RPGs if they go easy on the RPG elements, otherwise you end up spending way too much time managing your character's stats versus actually playing the game.

@razvitasca

https://sourceforge.net/projects/brogueaudio/

2017-09-01 01:44:22

There's no stats to manage in this game, besides buffs you'll be able to get later, and only strength so far.

2017-09-01 02:44:42

Sounds great to me. I don't mind if there are some RPG elements that touch on general statistics, but when you have so many stats that you have several different weapons stats that determine what types of weapons are best for the character, I think that's getting a bit carried away. It gets to the point that the game gets lost in all the stats.

2017-09-01 13:54:33

@orco thanks for the link, appreciate much
besides that, does it is any way to change the voice in game? i'm not into espeak so much, this  is why I've asked

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2017-09-01 15:09:14 (edited by Orko 2017-09-01 15:09:59)

You're welcome!

I don't know as I'm just beginning to play with this game.

2017-09-04 06:24:01

Guys, currently exist a method to play this game using a ferent sint than the included speak?.

or lazy, is possible (i can try to do that) modify the source of the multiplatform version (roguespeak) that use espeak to comunicate directly with the tolk library to send the output to the windows screend readers?

Well, the game is so fun,  i have to try more it :3

2017-09-04 10:29:04

here, guys, catch the game with better sounds. i were making it for myself, just wanna share it with you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2vcjp8n2g5i8 … 3.rar?dl=1
and i also hope deep in my heard LazyCat will come back and finish the mod because it is a great game and it still needs some speaking features for comfortable playing. but there's not much to do, realy. i made it to depth 18, this is my record for now.and it took me 1,5 months. i'm a bit slow with this game big_smile

we are the strongest! we are the weapon of the force! we are one!
my name is darth scorp!

2017-09-05 07:03:19

Oh, thats a real nice one! Thank you for this!

2017-09-06 01:58:31

Their are some bugs that lazycat needs to fix up that were introduced in the latest version. Has anyone reminded him of this on the reddit thread?

2017-09-06 03:20:49

Dartscorp, thanks dude.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2020-02-19 00:26:26 (edited by blindndangerous 2020-02-19 00:28:01)

Looks like a new version of Brogue is out, I wonder if we'll see an update from @lazycat.  Considering some of the bugs are still their. Also, apologies for reviving a 2-year-old topic, but I saw that a new version was out so thought I'd revive this to maybe show some new people who haven't heard of this game before.

2020-02-19 08:27:43

Oh a lot of thanks for letting me know about this!

2020-02-19 11:21:53

What's new, and also what's the link?

2020-02-19 11:29:15

Brogue itself is into version 1.75, but the latest version of Brogue Speak is still on 1.74, if memory serves me correctly. This means the new version will likely be unplayable, since it doesn't use a standard ASCII display.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!