2017-08-31 18:04:48

As described in this NVAccess blog post NVDA 2017.3 will be the last version to support older versions of Windows (that is Windows XP, Vista, and 7 before SP1).

So, if you're using an older computer or chose not to upgrade Windows, now might be a good time to think about doing so. Of course this doesn't mean NVDA will just flat out stop working, 2017.3 will continue to work and you will still be able to download it from the NVAccess site. So you shouldn't see anything breakBut as time goes on you can expect things to slowly no longer work, any enhancements made to web accessibility standards won't be supported, so newer sites may not work as well with this older NVDA, and ad-on compatibility will definitely have to be considered. There are rumours of NVDA finally moving to Python 3, and once that happens it's likely many ad-ons won't work with NVDA 2017.3 if not written with compatibility in mind.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-08-31 19:06:43

It's about time, Freedom Scientific did that almost three years ago with JAWS 15 being the last version to support versions of Windows prior to Windows 7.

2017-09-01 00:25:17

Yep, supporting operating system which is now 15 years old becomes more and more difficult. It's nothing unexpected. However, the good thing is that NVDA will now be able to focus more on advantages offered in Windows 7 and later.

2017-09-01 00:36:38

This has been a change far too late in coming, IMO.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2017-09-01 03:13:04

With all due respect, I saw this coming sooner or later. I have to give it to nv access for supporting xp as long as they did, being, by record, the screenreader that has actually supported xp the longest.

2017-09-01 03:23:01

I'm glad its come at last. Anything not needed to be in the package is good with me because the compatibility code is likely to impact performance for the rest of us.

I think they're handling it well.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-01 04:57:20

I have not touched XP since 2009. Don't miss XP at all. It was good for the time but ever since I used windows 7 and now windows 10 it would be hard to go back. LOL

2017-09-01 08:54:34

All I've gotta say is 'good'. This is another way to force those who want to use the latest versions of NVDA to upgrade to a later version of windows. It's time that Windows XP be gone. I'm quite thankful about it. As others have said, this will definitely increase performance.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-01 09:11:37

I'd always assumed XP support was already gone. Guess I'll be pleasantly surprised ...

XP works and it runs Win32 applications that I actually care about (all the other important stuff I have now runs everywhere else). That's all I need Windows for. Even many games now run under Wine. To the extent that newer apps are dropping XP support, it simply hasn't affected me that much. However I always prefer to keep my options open and I can certainly understand the march of progress. If I come back to Windows I'd expect nothing less than a completely modern stack and if dropping support is the price, I'm OK with that.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-01 11:40:25

lol I actually thought this was done years ago. No better time than the present!

2017-09-01 21:15:52

I'm using XP VM for running older games such as those from BSCGames that will not be able to run on anything later than Windows 7, but NVDA 2017.3 is good enough for this. Now when XP support is dropped, NVAccess guys are finally a step closer to switching from Python2 to 3, which fixes issues in Python2 including unicode support. Python3 is also better in performance. Addon compatibility will be the only problem, at least for addons that are no longer developed or officially supported.

2017-09-01 23:57:30

Well that is why they're keeping the older version up there, and in plain site for folks to get their hands on.

2017-09-02 04:25:05

This was a long time coming. Not only is Windows XP obsolete, there are massive security flaws in using an operating system that is over 15 years old. AS far as I'm concerned, XP is effectively dead now, and I'm glad of it.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-09-02 07:14:18

Well looks like you guys all handle it right.
On the list there are a load of whiny wankers that just have issues with it.
I used xp, its good, but well ms say its no more, bar a few old games and a few 32 bit systems for programs, and maybe some older things i won't be missing it.
Its a shame and maybe a couple years ago I'd be with the moaners, but this new gaming box I am getting will have vms and I plan to have xp, 7, linux of some sort either ubuntu mate and or sonar linux which is arch based.
I know that's cheating but oh well.
What I guess I miss or will miss are bits of the older interfaces.
But I will be able to get round them I am sure.

2017-09-02 10:00:12

Hrvoje wrote:

I'm using XP VM for running older games such as those from BSCGames that will not be able to run on anything later than Windows 7...

If you really feel like it, there are ways to get them to work on 10. IF you're interested I can try to dig up the info, but I got it working at one point. The games are a little clunky, but gameplay wise, they can be played well. They run smoother on XP obviously, but are somewhat more laggy because of being on a VM.

crashmaster wrote:

Well looks like you guys all handle it right.
On the list there are a load of whiny wankers that just have issues with it.

Ugh. Give me a break. I'm not surprised but... meh. It seems most of what goes into NVDA these days are support for Win10 features like Edge, and other more recent apps that won't run on XP anyway. I don't really understand what more can be done to improve XP support beyond what it's already at. I myself at least recommend people use 10 because they'll be up to date, and it's not that bad once tweaked. It can feel more or less like 7 or XP and the transition can be made easier. I especially like OCR... I've used it multiple times in the past week to help me navigate and learn about programs that are completely inaccessible without it. While I understand all the people who are resistant to upgrade past XP because of the change, the arguments are becoming less and less valid at this point. While I don't judge them for clinging to XP or anything, I do hope they realize what they're doing. If it works for them and they don't mind, great. But I am so sick and tired of the complaining. You either adapt to the changing world or it leaves you behind, and there's not much individuals can do about that. I don't like it either, but what else can I say? I try to be positive even through changes I don't like, it just feels better and is healthier. I think NV Access really did more than they had to to support XP as long as possible. I truly do commend them for this, but even they have to end it.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-09-03 14:01:13

NVAAccess should have removed support for windows xp ages ago. and, using windows10 and nvda is a perfect chois, I am, by the way, writing this post in Microsoft edge with nvda.
Kind regards,
Aleksandar.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-09-03 21:18:25

@14-15, you know, these moaners and groaners will only recognise that Windows XP is done for when they get hacked by something that was fixed in a later windows release and get totally destroyed because they failed to upgrade. They don't care about the new features of windows -- they'll only care when something happends to them that makes them lose everything because a hacker exploited a vulnerability that windows 0 fixed a long time ago.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-03 22:19:49 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2017-09-03 22:20:30)

and, what was that post, or what were those posts not too long ago about of Microsoft spying on users and making a huge goldmine out of information? taking away our oh so so so precious liberty? hahahhahaha (lost ages ago by the way) where are those people now.

the ones saying they will never upgrade from xp until that stops.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2017-09-04 19:42:53

Hey, if you like being spied on by Microsoft, as well as being used as a guinea pig for paying (and much more important than you, to Microsoft) customers, be my guest. It's your privacy being violated and your precious time being wasted debugging Microsoft software for Microsoft's benefit, not mine. You might not care, but I do, and yes it's a factor. Windows 8.1 is as far as I'm going until such time as Microsoft can stop being such insufferable wankers about it, and give people choice. I'll pay Microsoft for the privilege, if need be.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-09-04 21:12:05 (edited by Ethin 2017-09-04 21:18:21)

You do know you can pretty much stop that by disabling the BITS service, opening cmd.exe as admin, and running sc delete DiagTrack && sc delete dmwappushservice && echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl && reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f (or, in PowerShell, sc delete DiagTrack; sc delete dmwappushservice; echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl; reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f), right?

My Github

2017-09-05 00:19:32

Does that completely disable everything though, Ethin? I actually did a few of those things, disabling telemetry, all be it I disabled a few different services, but methods come and go all the time and people figure out what works and what doesn't. But hey, if this does it, and it's apparent that it does so, I'm all for it. Otherwise I'm of half a mind to switch to windows 7, considering I did finally find a way to disable the damned startup repair, and the telemetry is in the form of an update which you can very rightfully refuse. Come to think of it, my windows 7 isn't even activated *thanks, OEM license* so I probably wouldn't even get much in the way of major updates as it stands.

2017-09-05 00:52:39

From what I know, that stops all telemetry for now. (I checked http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/how- … windows-10 and it referenced just disabling the service; the method I used deletes the service entirely.)

My Github

2017-09-05 01:07:41

Oh good. In that case, never upgrade your build without re-deleting I suppose, as the update installations may or may not have a copy of the service.

2017-09-05 07:13:33

Hello all, well. What i want to say is, NVDA was my best screen reader for, about 5 years now, and i'm glad that they are going to python 3, and also i'm glad so windows XP support is no longer being and so nvda can implement new features. If i'd be thrown from my lovely windows10 to windows xp, well. I don't like xp. Good and old, blah blah, but no. Not my choice. Also, i think that spying in windows 10 is not spying you, it's spying programms that you launch. I mean they are tracking what programs are you launching. i don't care about it personally. I only disabled all buttons in privacy, and all. Also, i'm thinking to try edge. Interesting, it's faster then chrome, or not? oh and i had to switch to google chrome from mozilla, cause mozilla started to lag vialently. Chrome is faster than mozilla, so. and now i'm thinking about checking microsoft edge.

2017-09-05 13:53:04

@24, considering, Sky Lord, that we don't know what data is actually being sent, despite what Microsoft says; and considering the fact that we can't trust most companies when it comes to most "software-improvement programs," I think most of us will consider it literal spying until proven otherwise. They ask us to help them improve windows -- gladly! But tell me what your going to gather -- all of it, not just some of it -- first!
Also, might I point you to the MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS for the WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM, SEC. 3, which says:

3.    Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.

In other words, we can turn off some of the telemetry in the user interface (i.e. settings>privacy or other privacy management settings that come with the system), but some of them [will] remain active; and the only way to turn all of them off is the method I described in post 20. Considering that that section does not tell us exactly what data is being "collected," "disclosed," and "used," or what "features" do "collect" data for Microsoft's "usage" and "disclosement", I, certainly, can't trust them. So yes, guys, I'm asking you to violate the license agreement of Windows 10, but until Microsoft truly opens up and tells us exactly what they're collecting, and tells us their reasons for doing so (because "improving windows 10" is no longer valid), I'd advise not trusting most of those data collection programs unless the license agreement or something else tells you exactly what is being "collected."

My Github