2017-09-03 21:22:55

@stefan_ilioaica

Does the error message give you the name of the missing DLL?

2017-09-03 23:29:37

OK, so the trail is hard to follow because it doesn't sound like its in front of you. This is kind of hard to explain, but it sounds more correct when you're off the trail by a bit, and line it straight up in front of you than when you're walking in it. Also, sometimes the sound of the trail disappears as you turn around, it goes silent.

I don't really understand what you have to do to stay in the trail, I just sort of keep drunkenly stumbling to either side of it until I hear the higher parts. I can't really do it well.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-04 01:17:40

Guess it is to simulate the dog losing track of the scent and regaining it later on, if you press g or the right mouse button, it is easier to follow.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-09-04 02:30:01 (edited by Orko 2017-09-04 19:29:47)

I haven't played the game yet, but this is what I'm thinking for when I do.

I believe that most creatures use their most powerful sense a lot more than they do their other senses. For a sighted human they will use their vision the most, for a blind human, I think it's a toss up between hearing and touch, probably dependant on what's being done at any given time.

For dogs it's their sense of smell. Those of you who have or had sight, think back to when you last saw a dog. Unless it was preoccupied with some task, it was probably walking around with its nose to the ground, sniffing everything in sight.

In this game you are a dog, so act like one and use that nose. While looking for the lost person use sniff 2 a lot to keep track of and stay on the trail, then when you've found the lost person, to bring them back, use sniff 1 a lot to find your way back to the start.

2017-09-04 03:27:50

did you upload the recording for the game?

2017-09-04 03:39:26

Hello folks. Nick, he's probably sleeping by now. But I'll record something myself, so wait a few hours and I'll post a link.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-09-04 05:19:27

Hello again folks. As promised, here's a quick recording.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfo9mag8xi1b3 … d.mp3?dl=0
Sorry for my recording gear and my voice level, it is a bit late around here, so I couldn't speak much louder.
Best regards, Haramir.

2017-09-04 05:33:22

Is the heart beat the sound of the boy's heart beat? There was a part when the trail got higher pitched and I couldn't find the trail again. By the singing group. Also the singing group seems to follow you and grows louder making it harder to hear the trail. Sorry 1 more question what do you do when you think you've found him? Will you just run into him or do you have to bark? Great game thanks!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-09-04 05:46:58

Hi Stefan, I'll look into that. First time I have heard of that error but I'll try my best to figure it out.

2017-09-04 05:51:28

Hi Jeffb,
The higher part is the alternate, optional trail that leads from the main scent trail to the music group.
The fast, thumping heartbeat is his, the lower, slower one is the trainer. Soon to be replaced with voice cues when they get near you.
I'll lower the distance the singing group falls, off, that's good feedback, thanks.
When you find him, the trainer tells you what to do. He says now we have to make it back to the start.

Keep the questions coming!

2017-09-04 05:55:37

Iron cross, how you feel is completely how I wanted the game to be.
This is a sense none of us really know how to use functionally, so it's supposed to make you feel a little lost at times. Following the trail is meant to simulate how a dog follows a trail - they circle, double back, make mistakes and zig zag all over in a very jerky way. You're doing everything just fine man.

As far as the trail sound feedback, I hunk you're right, it's easier to follow if you're just to the right of left of it. But it's meant to be pretty hard, because if it was easier it wouldn't be realistic. Do you think it's too hard? Frustrating? I don't want that so I can adjust settings if so.

Also you're right that the trail location is weird. With two channel audio it's really difficult to create the sensation of underneath and above. I am not sure that can be fixed because the reality is, the trail has to continue to exist behind, beneath and in front of you.

2017-09-04 05:57:58

Thank you so much for helping Haramir!
If the rest of you don't know, I live in Australia, so if you live on the east coast of the Us, I'm 12 hours ahead of you. If you're in Europe I am 6 hours ahead so if you ask a question, there's a good chance I won't get to it until the end or the beginning of your day.

2017-09-04 06:03:25

Hello there,
@daisyalesoundworks, coming to the party rather late, but you have some good concept going on here. Although I haven't tried what you have done yet, I intend to give it a go once I get home today.
Thank you for coming up with a unique sort of game that we can play. the more games we have,the more happy I am. big_smile
Plus, I love dogs. like really really love em,so any game that features dogs or has us as dogs is great and makes me drool. wink
oh and,welcome to the forums!
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-09-04 06:08:25

Great thanks for the help!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-09-04 11:16:56

Haramir,

Thank you for that audio demo for Nick! I really appreciate it!!

2017-09-04 12:05:50

Hey everyone, so development is going great, I'm happy to talk about any changes you all want. I've already implemented many of them.

Right now, the best thing you can do to help me is get this game out to the world, or at least tell people about it. I need exposure before I try to seek funding. If you enjoyed this, tell people about it! Twitter, facebook, email, word of mouth!

Secondly, encourage any playtesters to NOT record or stream their experiences because it's kind of like a maze, once you've found the answer, it's not as fun and I'm afraid of this game making it on to twitch because it will ruin the fun.

2017-09-04 12:11:22

Oh also, tell other audio gamers to play it!!

2017-09-04 14:24:00

Hi Troopanum! Thank you for your welcome, I certainly do feel welcome here smile
I love this game idea, honestly, and I am so happy people seem to be enjoying it here. I honestly think this could be the first game that blind gamers and sighted gamers will both play, and play exactly the same way. It doesn't patronize, nor cater to either group, and I think it's possible that maybe it's the first audio-based game that sighted people will want to play, which means it's also possible that it could get funded on an average indie game studio budget, which is a first for audio games. I could be wrong about that stuff, because I'm still learning my audio game history and content.

I honestly think we have a shot at something huge here. Not me personally, but if we can get the community behind this idea in terms of playtesting and helping with exposure online, we can really accomplish something that hasn't been done. Thank you for being so supportive, Troopanum. It's been a month and a half of me being terrified in wondering if people will hate this idea or not. I really need to hear that great encouragement, so thank you.

2017-09-04 16:04:18

hey daisyalesoundworks can you add outcomes to this game?
like if the player refuses to stay on the trail or if the player kills the singing group the trainer would be mad or angry and then you fail the objective or if you don't follow his directions.
it's similar to Voice acting except that if the player doesn't listen to the trainers commands nor falls into the water the trainer would tell the player to get out of the water numerous times and if he or she doesn't get out of the water the player would drown.
also, can you add good endings and alternative endings to this game as well?
I'll start with the good ending parts and then the alternative ones.
one of the good endings is that if the player makes it out alive the trainer would be happy that you would get an achievement that says congratulations on saving the player or rescuing the singing group.
and now for the alternative endings.
actually, there would be 2 alternative endings.
one of them would be having a gun and killing animals or breaking the rules that were said from the trainer or refusing to stay on the trail at all times.
and then the second alternative ending would be killing two many bees at once that the trainer would become extremely disappointed it would become hilarious until I would either quit the game or if the player were to fight the singing group by destroying one of there instruments I would be laughing in my chair until I've had enough or if I kill the dogs.
anyways, this is a great game and I hope that I can play it.

2017-09-04 16:50:00

I don't think its frustrating more like, hmm, am I doing this right?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-09-04 16:50:58

Nick, why won't you try the game first  before suggesting anything? Can you imagine dog using a gun? No. I didon't think so. Asking  for a recording when he said that he is going to work on it, really dude? Asking for the controls without even trying to play the game yourself. Again, what is wrong with you? If it sounds harsh, that's because it is. He didn't even read the first post.

2017-09-04 18:46:25

Hey Nick,
I am glad you're engaging and getting interested in the game world I've made. In terms of the alternative ending suggestions, in a dog search, it can really only end two ways, life or death, and both will be experienced in this game.
This is not a game about killing, so those suggestions are appreciated but will not be considered.
I'm really proud of the notion that this is a game that deals with the drama of human safety and demise, without violence.
Please feel free to comment again once you've played it. Thanks!

2017-09-04 18:58:36

Hey Ironcross - that's exactly what I want. I want a no-pressure yet dramatic enough situation that you feel free to explore but also you want to finish the level. But I want the constant feeling of "No, that's not right, turn around" instead of "this is too hard to be fun".

2017-09-04 19:55:57

Well, I finally had some free time to play some games and tried to take this one for a spin.

The first thing I ran into is the same issue I have with the Audio Maze game and that is a warning about my graphics driver.

WARNING: Known issues with graphics driver
The installed version of the NVIDIA graphics driver has known issues.
Please update to the latest driver version.
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
Installed: 342.00
Recommended: 378.92

Unfortunately NVidia no longer supports this graphics processor anymore so the drivers I have installed are the latest drivers that do support it.

After dismissing the warning message the game starts but when I press the command keys to play the game, I found it difficult to determine whether the game is responding to them or not, soon after that the sound started breaking up, then after less than a minute pressing the keys gave me a sound that told me the game had either locked up or simply wasn't recognizing them. I had JAWS configured to go into suspend mode while the game runs, which usually works for most games that have conflicts with the screen reader, but to be sure I tried a second time with JAWS unloaded, and got the exact same behavior.

At this point I think I'll have to wait for the purely audio version of the game, as I believe that my graphics processor and or it's drivers are the source of the problem.

2017-09-04 20:44:38

well,
I've downloaded the game to my desktop and then I installed the Microsoft visual C2015 that was required to run the game.
but unfortunately upon starting the game my memory paged pool started to increase and all of a sudden I got this message that said windows is allocating memory even though when I launched the game for the first time.
can you fix this memory issue?
I would hate to have a slow windows 7 64bit operating system.