2010-03-13 08:54:36

I'm currently having issues with my laptop, in that the keyboard keys are falling off somewhat. Luckily I still can use my external keyboard thank goodness, but I can't say I'd recommend a Dell to anyone in the future. So here is my question:
What makes of laptop have people tried and what was their build quality like? I'm particularly considering the basic style 13 inch MacBook and sticking Windows on it in a dual boot so any views on that model, the current one with the 2.26ghz core 2 duo, would be especially welcomed.

I probably won't be getting one just yet since this happens just as I've bought a sofa bed, nice timing there, but I hope to be able to manage something in a couple months or so. Maybe around June if I'm lucky.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-15 01:49:53

I had the same problem with an IBM Thinkpad. Two keys came off but it didnt really bother me that much because you can still use the keys. I bet you can too, it just feels a bit weird pressing those little plastic tubes. You get used to it though. Hmm, speaking from a build perspective I think Macs are pretty good.

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. ~Gustav Mahler

2010-03-15 11:25:29

Well the little plastic tubes are falling off as well so that's the problem.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-15 22:17:18

Try newegg, they've got great laptops. I for one would recommend Asus. Why would you want to go Macbook when you want to use Windows?

2010-03-16 00:17:29

First I'm in Britain so I would prefer to go with someone who sells in the UK.

Secondly I'm looking at alternatives to Windows in the future, but I want to retain Windows in dual boot as a safety net not to mention for various pieces of software I already use. That includes all the audio games I already have that aren't available on Mac amongst other things. I want to be able to try out another operating system, no small issue for a screen reader user since I also have to learn the new screen reader at the same time, without completely cutting myself off from everything I know already. The general idea is to make an easier transition, and provide a fall back just in case I don't get on entirely with Mac OS.

cx2
-----

2010-03-17 12:13:32

I currently use a MacBook Pro (17

2010-03-17 13:55:20

The number of new posters in here is a little worrying. Hope that people aren't signing up just to post in this topic. My interest in a mac is purely utilitarian.

That said I've ended up getting a macbook pro already for one reason or another, and I absolutely love the touchpad with voice over. I'm having trouble with it not reading IM client chat windows automatically though.

cx2
-----

2010-03-17 13:59:56

cx2 wrote:

The number of new posters in here is a little worrying. Hope that people aren't signing up just to post in this topic. My interest in a mac is purely utilitarian.

Yeah well I actually wrote a 1000 word post detailing my MacBook Pro experience but somewhere between hitting "submit" and being returned to the thread, everything after the first few words had disappeared and I couldn't be bothered re-typing it all again!

Sorry : (

2010-03-22 07:23:21

speaking from a purely vi perspective I'd be a little hesitant about switching to a mack only because of the new O S environment, different programs/screenreader,, etc. but that's only becuase I've been using windows since I knew how to use computers wich ai think has been about 08 or so years. but there are people who swear by mac so that's just me. about the keyboard I had a sony that did one better, the entire keyboard stopped working completely and after I shelled out 300 to get it fixed, no easy task in itself, two days later ti went out again with a brand new one. so I junked it and got my hp. hope your mac works out for you, never duel booted anything before, wonder if it's possible to install mac os on anything other than a mac based pc? if so I may try it, assuming i can get my hands on a copy legally.
thanks

I love fresh coffee, it's just so lovely! mmmmmmmmm, coffee!

2010-03-22 16:10:37

Working out fine so far thanks, yikes on the Sony. The Sony I had for a while had no problems by contrast.

I gather some people have got Mac OS running on non-Mac PCs, but it takes some doing. It isn't designed for them and Apple actively try to prevent this. As to the dual boot, Mac OS X actually has a utility called Boot Camp designed just for this very purpose to help you set up Windows or whatever else alongside OS X.

Voice Over actually has a pretty decent tutorial, and I was able to jump right onto the internet right after finishing it which was an interesting experience. I'd honestly say though that if you want to really try out all that a Mac has to offer go with a laptop version, the multi touch trackpad is a real help. The only big thing I've got to work out how to do yet is opening web pages in a new tab/window from a link, something I rely on in this forum as it happens.

cx2
-----