2017-08-29 10:14:38

Hi guys and girls, so my friends know that I am a weather buff and that's quite true. However, today's weather apps are mostly visual, but I have to give credit to WeatherGods on IOS because it's fully accessible with Voice Over. Anyhow my topic I wish to discuss today goes a little deeper than just simple temperature readings. Most sited people can look at a weather map or a satellite map or image and can see at a glance where the latest thunderstorms, fronts, high and low pressure systems are, and if you are a weather buff like me, you would know that it is important to track fronts, highs and lows, as they can have adverse effects on our weather.
So I came here today to ask if it would be even possible to take data from a map and make it accessible to blind people, would it also be possible to extract data from weather models such as ecmwf and global upper air data?
I know this is way way advanced stuff, but I mostly rely on someone sited to tell me certain things and it frustrates me, I know there are tactile maps available, but frankly I don't have the resources to get them.
So if anyone reading this has any feedback, please post your comments below.
Thanks and have a nice day all.

2017-08-29 15:36:42 (edited by Orko 2017-08-29 20:34:19)

Although this isn't the answer you are looking for, I just felt that I needed to touch on one aspect of weather you missed. Besides the weather maps with pressures and fronts on them, the one thing I miss is being able to look at radar to determine if I'll need rain gear if I go out or not. Or for just plain curiosity. It would be nice if those radar maps could be made accessible too.

I looked up Weather Gods in the app store and found that it isn't free and there's no trial. Sorry, but the standard weather app works just fine, I can't imagine what a weather app could do that would make it worth paying for.

2017-09-03 10:37:37

I get your point, I also use the stock app, but WeatherGods is a cool app, it provides 12 notification types with customised settings, such as sleet, frost, fog, wind and gusts, rain, storms, and so on, I do have a cool site witch I use for storm tracking, all though it only works in South Africa, they take the last 10 storms detected and put them in a list with date and time and intensity, so that's really neat.
We should definitely speak to someone about making a text model or something, but is it even possible to extract icebars from images, anyway, thanks for your response.