2017-09-02 01:54:43

The title says it all. Pretty much every topic i've posted in now has at least one bot, and they usually post 2 posts, if not 3. Its getting annoying! I check the forum and find that a topic has new posts, i'm interested to see what somebody has replied to me with and its some stupid bot talking about wigs. Seriously? I know the mods are doing what they can but I think increased measures of some kind need to be put in place because this is the worst i've seen it when it comes to spam.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-02 04:48:02 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2017-09-02 04:48:21)

My thoughts exactly!

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-09-02 13:04:10

I just found a topic in the off topic room, its a bot. And the bot posted twice in its own topic. Wow. Before it was big topics i'd seen them in but now they are creating their own. Not good

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-02 15:02:29

Good luck with that, we've had email for 20+ years and spam for almost as long and it's still a problem.

2017-09-02 16:06:09 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-09-02 16:08:04)

It's sort of darkly amusing that we're simultaneously complaining about spambots and the quote glitch in the bot stop system.
Speaking of which, the sudden explosion in bot activity tells me they probably adapted to it. It'd be weird if they're deliberately training bots on this forum's questions, but perhaps changing the questions will slow them down? That'd be easier than trying to install a new system.
Yes, I know that they can just do it all over again. But if it takes them more than a day or two, that's a day or two in which to work on stronger measures.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-09-02 16:23:10

Hold on, I'm working on something.

2017-09-06 16:27:04

So, how is this method working?

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2017-09-06 21:39:13

Spambots do not get allowed to post if they're not capable of writing a serious introduction post that convinces a moderator to whitelist their account.

2017-09-09 23:04:23

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but it looks like bots with restricted accounts can still somehow post under the news room. At least the latest news that I wrote just got hit by 3 bots that still have the restricted rank.

I wonder if this is something with the way the ranks work or whether they're exploiting a bug in punBB somewhere.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-09-10 15:59:53

Thanks Pitermach, that is fixed now, restricted users can no longer post replies to the news room.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-18 16:12:27 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2018-07-18 20:29:34)

Hi,

I'm setting up a punBB forum, and am curious how to set these types of permissions, as the bots are causing issues. Any help would be appreciated.