2017-08-25 23:49:28

Every time I post a comment/post I have to answer a question to make sure I am not a spammer.
I use my phone to post here and when I click submit, I have to answer the bot.

It asks me what is the name of our planet? I answer Earth
I answer it 30 times and it still doesn't go through

Even when I am using the pc I have to enter the answer 3-5 times

This is annoying me so much

Pics or it didn’t happen

2017-08-26 00:05:07

I get that too, but in my case it only shows up maybe twice a month, if that, and so far has never rejected any of my answers.

2017-08-26 01:39:47

Honestly, I was just about to make a topic about requesting it to be disabled. It's far more of an annoyance than it is a security measure. It doesn't even work, if what I've sen in spambot activity is any indication.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-26 01:53:12

While it is true that some spam bots are still getting through, just consider how many spam bots we'd have posting crap if we had no any anti spam bot protection at all.

Since I only see it pop up only once or twice a month, and the questions are easy to answer, I say leave it there until something better is available.

2017-08-26 04:29:35 (edited by Ethin 2017-08-26 04:30:15)

@4, here's the problem: it barely works. If we really did want to stop spam bots then it would practically be asking us questions for every single thing we do on this forum. But as it asks only once a month, if not less, it's very ineffective as is. If the mods want to make the forum spam-bot unfriendly, and nothing they've tried works, then I say let them invent a method of their own.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-26 15:12:57

I know all of that. You completely missed my point that some protection, even if it's not very good, is better than no protection.

Best to leave it in place until something better is either found or created to take it's place.