2017-08-24 04:13:10 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2019-09-07 00:51:02)

Hi All,

So, because I like to play around with different software packages, and also because I am the webmaster for Reality Software, I was wondering what forum packages are accessible for blind and visually impaired users. I know that PunBB is one option, but I have no clue as to any others. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-08-24 04:52:06

I've visited forums running a variety of forum software from commercial products like vBulletin and Invision Board, to phpBB to home grown, and so far, pun BB is the most screen reader friendly one I've visited.

The forums at AppleVis aren't bad either, however, I believe there's is of the home grown variety.

2017-08-24 05:20:00

MyBB isn't bad either.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-08-24 05:43:42

punbb is definitely nice. Applevis uses the standard Drupla forum module. Wordpress has a forum plugin, but its a bit difficult to setup. It depends on if you already have a CMS or not, of course punbb can work alone

2017-08-24 15:05:59

Hi,

Right now, we're migrating from hand-made HTML to WordPress.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-08-24 16:36:31

My only exposure to Word Press that I know of is that a friend uses it for his blog.

Although it does allow the posting of comments about a particular blog with no registration required, I have no idea how it would fork as a forum.

2017-08-24 17:06:27

I've encountered Wordpress blogs that occasionally post "open threads", where the commenters can talk about whatever. This is terrible, screen reader-wise, since the organization is based around indenting replies, so the best one can do is jump between lists/list items, or use the "escape current container" command with NVDA (which backfires if you're in a top-level comment that somehow sounds like a reply). Basically, the 2010s method of threaded comments is appealing from the perspective of sighted people who got sick of forums with quote-trains, but the most we get out of it is a hide button (and that isn't always supported).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-24 17:57:20

I was referring to the bbPress plugin.
Wordpress has been the number one go to spot for blogs, while a CMS like Drupal is more generalized

2017-08-24 18:22:26

I haven't been to a My BB forum that I know of, but so far Pun BB dispaite some of it's short comings is still the most screen reader friendly forum software I've encountered.

Since most of them support skins or themes, what would be nice to see are screen reader friendly skins created for the more popular forums, like phpBB and vBulletin.

2017-08-24 22:08:25

Hmmm.
When sonnar did a forum we don't currently, we used pun bb, however we found it not really secure, to much spam, out of date and generally crappy!
We tried other forum packages but they didn't work so well.
Eventually we decided to chuck it in and put all our stuff up here.
Pun bb is good but we need more than 1 package because relying on 1 is not always the best.
On the wordpress forum side, you're in luck.
I don't use forums on wordpress but I am one of the testers on the test dev team, I have just sent them this thread by email, and maybe if we can prove this we can add this to the schedual for the next big wordpress update.
We are going to be releasing new stuff with wordpress later, namely the gutinberg editor, which should be out at the end of the year.
Access wize there are still a few kinks and for myself I'd prefur we kept the editor we have now but the word from on high is that gutinberg is replacing the old editor weather we like it or not so we better get used to it.
With this in mind a lot of work is being done testing serveying and getting everything ready.
So the fact this thing came up at this time is probably going to factor into the next updates.

2017-08-25 19:40:39

hello,
guys i will recommend more beside these:
smf, Vanilla Forums, XenForo, plushforums, that each of which you can try
i've tried smf, myBB, a bit of phpbb, PunBB, bbPress