2017-08-19 18:32:50

I'm sending speech requests through Tolk, for common screen readers to vocalize. I'm testing it using NVDA, on Windows 7.

The game I'm trying to write is partially real time, in that the player steers a boat using the cursor keys. However, I've found that depressing a cursor key for any length of time interrupts any speech requests. I think it has something to do with the keyboard autorepeat.
I've discovered that I can use any other keys without a problem, as long as the keyboard preferences in NVDA are set so it doesn't speak the key pressed or generate a speech interrupt when a key is pressed.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems, or has experience using Tolk.

I also found that the initial Tolk_Load command seemed to inhibit the use of mciSendString when trying to play an audio file, unless an audio file is played before issuing the Tolk_Load command. If an audio file is played before Tolk_Load is called then the audio works fine afterwards.

I'm using BBC BASIC for Windows, but I'm pretty sure the language isn't the cause of any of these oddities.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.