2017-08-17 14:52:47 (edited by Orko 2017-08-17 14:54:34)

@Dark

You should like Code 7, while it isn't really a multiple choice type of game, it isn't a parser either. Mostly you navigate menus where you have to figure out what to do and when.

Oh and before I forget, Alexa also has an unofficial version of Zork in its skills library.

2017-08-18 04:23:08

@Dark those examples should have worked. Yes, it's easy to say in hindsight, but that's the kind of implementation flaw which IMO ought to be accounted for in testing. Because, of course, if it had, you wouldn't have encountered that frustration. I played Shade to the end, incidentally, and didn't much care for it. Zarf's other older output, particular A Change in the Weather (very hard), Catharsis (very moving) or Spider and Web (hard, but absolutely mind-blowing) take my fancy better. The latter really stresses your parsing abilities. Zarf (that's Plotkin, BTW) explicitly didn't implement all body parts just so he could make the mechanics work. I absolutely take the point that it can be challenging--just not impossible, and often, an awful lot of fun once you are, you know, one with the game. smile

I will check out Code 7 as well now you mention it. I have just had the dubious pleasure of playing "Good Boy", a sample Twine game. I don't like Twine much at all; it's not as nice as ChoiceScript (but it looks nicer to work with, which is why people do, I suppose). The game itself was simple but amusing.

Inkle Studios' stuff, last time I tried it, wasn't accessible. That's too bad.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-08-18 10:21:32

Wait Andrew Plotkin has written a game called Catharsis? I thought I had all of his games. Or do you mean "So Far: An interactive Catharsis"? I liked Shades very much, it's so creepy and even better if you suddenly understand the plot.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2017-08-18 13:02:28

Yep, I remember code 7 had a rather unique system of  when I tried the demo back when it was first on kickstarter, though I didn't play through the hole thing.

I think I'll  either really enjoy it, or find it frustrating big_smile.

As regards parser I suppose it's experience, but I haven't really had  this "one with the game" thing you mention, for me it's always about working out what I want to do and then getting irritated with the game for not doing it big_smile.
I even had trouble with glowgrass which was supposed to be an intro adventure, though I did very much enjoy dreamhold.

I don't know what was happening in shade, but it is those circumstances which make me prefer choice script and the like, though  I agree about the problems with Twine.
Seedship was exceptional, but other twine games I've seen have had horrible  layout and on occasion entirely inaccessible output,  which is a problem.

I'm glad the if community are working away from "we want parser! anything that isn't like zork is evil!2 since  that was an attitude I saw before, check the spag reviews for things like wumpus 2000 and kerkerkruip and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe it's a preference thing, or maybe it's my weird way of thinking I don't know, but I do know which I prefer for input,  of course with the problems I ran into I have played far more gamebooks than I have parser type stuff.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-19 00:47:57

@targor yes, sorry, you're right, of course. So Far. Wonderful game.

@dark fair enough. I mean, I can't understand or explain it, so maybe it's just my level of tolerance or something. Not to suggest you're intolerant--it could be that you're quite right not to be overly tolerant of what to you must seem like poor design. I just don't seem to be in that place, for whatever reason.

As for Code 7, well I really want to see a full version before I proceed. Unimaginably selfish of me, I'm sure. big_smile

As for the IF community, I've no patience for bigotry of any kind (well, unless it's me being bigoted, in which case it's A-OK big_smile ) and I'm quite sure that there will always be an affection directed toward any kind of IF that inspires and entertains players. And surely, that's the only benchmark that matters. I really do enjoy many of the CoG games I played, and I'm totally open to different mechanics. We've had RPG, random combat, one-room games (like Aisle), word-play games, flat-out machine abuses (like ZChess or ZBasic) and games whose only permissible input is Yes and No. Nobody seems to care enough, even when they're prepared to attack the plot or story or lack of mimesis. They're all still in the archive.

It's just, you know, parser-based IF is superior. big_smile

PS: what do you think of Reliques of Tolti-aph? I thought it was a really quite wonderful blend of RPG and straight IF.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-08-19 01:50:59

@sebby

No, that's not selfish of you at all, despite the developers assurances that it is coming, and everybody else's pre ordering it, I will wait until they actually release the blind friendly version of Code 7 before I pay anything.

Waiting to see what happens before making any judgements is just plain good common sense.

2017-08-20 08:11:17

Since I'm currently moving house, both gaming time, and funds are a bit low, one reason I didn't back code 7 originally.
Hopefully though by the time I'm in a stable position to try the game out, the blind friendly version will have put in an appearance, since I do get the impression the devs are open to ideas and are being reasonable.

As to relics Sebby, I didn't think that one was finished? unless I'm confusing it with something else.
I have certainly enjoyed some if, I have extremely fond memories of worlds apart and pytho's mask, and interesting the complaints I've seen about both  didn't apply either.I unfortunately got a little sick of bashing my head against aforementioned parser problem.

Then again, since my IPhone battery isn't working  well at the second and basically conks after half an hour of constant use, I've not played through  much of the Cog  titles either, not to mention the delight games which I have and really need to try more of for the db.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-20 11:59:32

I think reliques is complete. Really cool game idea. I died so many times before finally the save command could be used. It is locked during most of the game.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.