2017-08-16 21:18:02 (edited by Dan Gero 2017-10-14 00:10:21)

Hello.
So, I wanted to use liquid soap for streaming and automation and stuff like that, but the problem is, it's not compiled into an executable file. I asked someone before and they said,

Find liquidsoap repo's for your distro, download latest with apt.

I have no idea what that means though. Can someone explain it to me in lamence terms? Thanks in advance for the help.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-08-16 22:21:38

Install OCaml and Opam, then let Opam do the heavy lifting for you. If you're installing to Ubuntu you're package manager will be apt; if you're installing to a REL-based distro it'll be yum. Replace yum with the correct tool for your system. Basically you want to do the following:
yum install ocaml
yum install opam
then run:
opam init
and follow the instructions.
then run:
eval `opam config env`
now run:
opam install liquid soap
This command may fail multiple times because of missing system packages. Opam will name the required package so you can usually just install that with your package manager just like you installed ocaml and Opam.
Eventually you will get the command to run to it's end.
This is the method that Liquidsoap officially recommends.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-08-16 23:05:25

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. Is Liquidsoap only for Linux?

TWITCH

2017-08-17 00:54:12

Are you trying to install it on Windows?
If so, you're going to need to install Cygwin (which will give you an emulated Linux command terminal) and follow the rest of the steps from there.
There are some accessibility annoyances with the Cygwin setup.. In Cygwin you don't install software using a command line package manager like you would with regular Linux. Instead you install it using the GUI installer that you use to install Cygwin itself. Accessibility-whise it works, but there's a lot of rooting involved and it's annoying.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-08-17 02:31:06

I don't know anything about Linux, so I'm not familiar with these terms like OCaml or Opam or whatever. Is there a simpler way to do this?

TWITCH

2017-08-17 04:29:04

OCaml is a programming language. Opam is a tool which finds and installs libraries for use with the language OCaml.
There is probably no simpler way to install this product unless somebody has prepared a Windows installer for it, and I'd be surprised if that were the case.
You'll have to learn some Unix commands in order to install and use it.

2017-08-18 00:12:33

Yeah. As far as Liquidsoap is concerned, once a Linux product, always a linux product. And like i said before, I wouldn't go trying to run a stream off residential internet.

2017-08-18 02:56:51

Thanks for these instructions.

2017-08-18 05:12:33

It's not exclusively a linux product. It'll work fine under Mac OS, or anything else for that matter that is based on a Unix kernel (so... anything but our favourite odd man out Windows).
I've actually seen a decent amount of Linux open source that does take steps to accommodate Windows (though to be fair, Libraries are more likely to do this more so than applications). Liquidsoap is dependant on a library called Libshout (this is the library that actually provides the streaming to Shoutcast and Icecast servers) that strongly refuses to build under visual studio due to baked-in use of unix-specific APIs.
Cygwin is the way around this, but it's not without it's caveats (external dependancies, executable becomes GPL-licensed, etc).
In my free time I've actually been working on a scriptable audio streaming application which I use for my own needs. If I had a lot of time to work on it I'd strive to bring it to the point where I'd be comfortable releasing it, but it too is dependant on libshout which ties it down pretty hard to unix like platforms. If I removed that dependancy and wrote the networking code myself I could make it build on Windows pretty easily.

2017-08-18 06:17:17

I stream on my home internet all the time, PG13 do that as well.

TWITCH

2017-08-18 09:36:20

If you have Windows 10 you could try using the Ubuntu that comes in WSL, which is much easier to set up and probably ends up being smaller.

All that being said, yes, we stream from residential internet just like most amateur internet radio broadcasters. But we don't run our ice cast server on the  same computer that we use for streaming. Our Liquidsoap installation is running on a dedicated Linux server hosted by OVH which handles the ice cast as well as the website and a lot of other things. LiquidSoap is running on there 24-7, continuously playing archives and if it detects one of us connecting to a specific address, it switches to rebroadcasting that. If you wanted to do the same thing from your Home Windows computer, it would have to run 24 hours a day if you don't want your stream interrupted and you'd need a really decent upload to support multiple listeners.

If you're planning to stream to a remote iceCast server, if you can administrate it yourself install Liquidsoap on it or ask whoever owns it to do it for you. Otherwise, consider doing that yourself or even geet something like a raspberry  pi and run your icecast and liquid soap off of it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-08-18 17:16:26

I run my Windows computer 24 hours a day anyways, so that wouldn't be an issue. I would like to get a Pi though.

TWITCH

2017-08-19 06:02:25 (edited by jack 2017-08-19 06:03:41)

That's not the point though, you need to have a computer that you can leave unattended 24/7. You should never run on a computer that you still plan to use. That goes for any server, and that's just common sense. Which is why I do agree, a Pi would really! be the best thing to use for this. As for Liquidsoap compatibility on OSX, I had figured it would be compatible with OSX as well since that is Unix based. I've seen a lot of packages that are available for Linux have more easy to find Mac equivalents.

2017-08-24 18:32:46

Hi.
I agree with Pitermach here, I myself keep my stream 24/7 yes, it's a linode hosted server with quite descent upload speed. I tried hosting servers at home in the past and it's a no no. As soon as you turn off your computer, if you are hosting on windows your servers will die, people will complain and a big etc. I wouldn't recommend it.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2017-08-25 06:03:19

Oriol's right. I suppose you weren't using machines you could leave unattended 24/7? Even if you were, residential internet has its limits. On one hand, some isp's may flip a shit if they catch you hosting a server. Terms of service and all that. On the other hand, even without occasional isp-imposed limits, with residential internet you naturally aren't right on the front-lines of the internet, if you will. A vps, the good ones at least, guarantees you reliable, high-speed access. Even in-home bandwidth use can deter your server activity, so keep that in mind.

2017-10-09 19:27:50

So, I have a pi now. I looked back at post 2, and I tried typing yum install ocaml, and it didn't work.

If you're installing to Ubuntu you're package manager will be apt; if you're installing to a REL-based distro it'll be yum.

I figured sense the yum command didn't work, I would try righting apt install ocaml, but doing that gave me this error.

Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
Unable to lock the administration directory

I'm sorry if there's something obvious that I'm missing, I've never used Linux before, and I'm a slow learner. Any help would be appreciated.

TWITCH

2017-10-09 19:55:57

Well, if you do not have a vps, do not keep your computer always on cause this will destroy your harddrive and that can damage other components.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-10-09 19:59:54

You'll only use yum if the distro you chose uses yum as it's package manager. Might be apt-get.

2017-10-09 20:10:04

I just figured it out, you have to right sudo apt-get install.

TWITCH

2017-10-14 00:09:33

So, do you just copy your archives and put the files in a certain folder, and do they have to be a certain file type? Are there simple to understand instructions for how to use the program somewhere?

TWITCH

2017-12-07 09:29:28 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-12-07 09:31:01)

Hi there,
I found this in a search because I recently installed an Icecast server on a VPS. I've been looking for a good streaming client source, like Station Playlist, but it is rather expensive. So I decided to try Liquid Soap, since I have a Vinux virtual machine in addition to the Ubuntu 16.04 VPS I have.
I got as far as running opam init on Vinux before I got to a fatal error about too many open files. I tried sudo, but that didn't work either. Googling the error didn't turn up anything useful.
What could be going on?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-12-07 09:36:49

Hello Ulysses:

I'm not sure what could go wrong, however I have to tell you that liquid soap is not a replacement for a streaming software.
Liquidsoap is meant to let you have a custom made auto dj system and things like that, it's not meant to serve as streaming software. It has no real user interface, microphone button, etc.
I think you'd be better off with some other program for that sort of thing. I do have liquidsoap but it just serves as my auto dj system.

hth

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.