2017-08-01 15:01:14

Welcome, greetings and Salutations!
As everyone will probably know by now, and those who don't know by now will know now since I will tell what by now by before I go bye bye now, this is the monthly chat topic.

Talk about anything, everything and nothing! how life is treating or mistreating you currently, what your up to, down with, in to, out of or in any direction really big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-01 17:07:06

Well, I am leaving the dentist right now with a couple fillings and a half-numb face, so that's fun. ... wait, no; what's the opposite of that? smile
I read The Marvelous Land of Oz the other day, and can't seem to come up with something to say that I think I'm especially equipped to discuss. It was certainly differinteresting? ^_^

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-02 08:39:39

I'm up to my neck in work, down for the count owing to exhaustion, into a load of nonsensical situations, and out of my ever confused flawed freaking mind! ;d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-08-02 10:04:10

Yo ho ho, another month of nothingness coming up before my I C T training starts in September, but wait, there are some things going on.
But, well nothing much going on now. I am today in charge of watching over a friends dog for today, he just arived about 10 minutes ago and dropped of his dog, it's a very cute and playfull border collie.
So. what's there going on this month? I am planning to do a short trip to the netherlands to visit a friend later this month, also with a groop of friends I am planning going to Hambug in late August to have some nice days in the city and watch the "The lion king" musical for the first time.
Also for some more serius business on august 11th, I have to do a sort of inteligence test because my sponsor needs it to evaluate if they will take over the costs regarding said training. As far as I know it's your typical evaluations test regarding general knolledge, some vocabulary stuff in english and german, and a math part which I am a bit scared about xD.
But yeah, currently I am laying on the couch, the dog next to me, will have to see what's going on the rest of this day.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-08-02 14:16:35

@Simba the lion king musical rocks! I have seen it twice, once in the Westend in London  a 21st birthday present from my parents, and once last year on Broadway in new York as a wedding present from my sister in law.

It rocked both times. The simba in Lond was worse, but London had the better Narla and Zazu, while I think the narla on Broadway had a cold, though they did have the most amazing Sca big_smile.

This month for me is likely to start off with not a lot, and finish in massive amounts of upheaval since while there isnt' much happening right now in a few weeks my lady and I will be going to the Aims annual music school, and then moving house 100 miles south to Newark.
So other than annoying phone calls to utility companies and filling in forms not much to report thus far, or at least not much beyond the usual gaming, book reviews etc.

I have now however discovered a perfect way to play crafting kingdom, I stick my IPhone beside my computer, leave it on the city screen focused on "sell all" and occasionally reach out and give it another tap  while I am doing something else:D.
I still have work to do on my guide to muds and have been playing a bit of both Erion and Aardwolf in preparation, though I'm getting a wee bit irritated with both.
I do still want to get in to cyber assault, but I missed the newbie area and combat feels abit quick, still we'll see.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-02 14:19:23

Hi.
Yeah I heard a lot about the musical, we organized first class tickets, we also will get a backstage tour, carrying a disability identification opens doors people, you just have to ask the right questions.
Cyber assault is quite fun, you don't have a very deep storyline or tutorial erria, a lot is self learning, but it's a good mud in general.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-08-09 01:31:51

Hey folks!
I hardly ever post on the forum at all, so I thought I might as well give it a whirl! smile Let's see...as of right now, my house is full of boxes, as I am preparing for a move on the 1st of next month! I'm excited and a little apprehensive about it at the same time. I'm living with my best friend though, so I know everything will be okay!
I have recently started playing Aardwolf myself, and while I understand why it can be frustrating, I am liking it so far. The main issue that I have is that I applied to be part of a clan, (I had to do an interview and everything), and the person who interviewed me told me that the next time a clan leader was online, they'd add me to the clan, but that has yet to happen, and I know for a fact that clan leaders have been on since I applied. Ah well, life goes on! Heehee!
I'm afraid I'll have to keep this post short since my stomach keeps giving me uproarious reminders that I must eat! Time to take a much-needed trip to the grocery store; I'll probably get myself into trouble since I'll be shopping on an empty stomach! Anyway, that's all for now! Have a good evening everyone!

Quaaaaaaaaaaack quaaaaaaaaaaack quaaaaaaaaaaack!

2017-08-09 06:53:34

@Simba, I am rather jealous of that Lion king back stage tour that must've been fantastic,  on neither occasion did nmy lady or I get something similar.

@ClarinetLover welcome to the monthly chat topics, hope you enjoy the rmablement.
Funny your also moving at the start of next month. I am also living with my best friend which definitely helps, especially since I'm married to her big_smile.

Unfortunately, I'm finding the higher level I get in Aardwolf the more annoying it is to find quest and campaign targets, even if I decided goals are rather too obscure to try and achieve. The last three campaigns I found myself getting stuck in areas trying to find mobs somewhere there was no way to get to, and like Aardwolf's goals, the methods required are usually very obscure. This seems rather unfair, especially for  generic pre-generated autoquests.
It also doesn't help that while there are lots of players online, your chance of receiving any kind of assistance is patchy at best, indeed one reason I gave up on trying to do goals in the game is that frequently I'd get to a sticking point and be told something like "that goal isn't meant for you" or something like that, this is very irritating for someone who really enjoys doing quests.

unfortunately, rather busy, and often sad things keep coming up over here, and I'm not just talking about reading Stephen King since on Sunday and Monday my lady and I met up with friends we'll be leaving when we move.
On sunday we went to an awesome semi Asian restaurant (they have everything from tie, to Vietnamese and Mongolian as well as usual  Chinese and some experimental), to see some old friends of mine.
What was extremely sweet is said old friends presented us with two fantastic swords to decorate our new house as a housewarming present. Very much fantasy blades, one with a dragon up the hilt.

Then on Monday we met another two friends, though this time one of my friends who is a very keen cook decided to cook us an amazing meal composing several courses from steamed cod and lemon potatoes to beef cheeks in port. This was also awesome, though has obviously left both of us a little stuffed big_smile.Not only our moving, but another recent thing which has come up for my lady is the fact that her dad, who is old and definitely not a well chap is moving out of their family house and in with my lady's sister and her husband (the same sister we stayed with when I went over to Pennsylvania). This of course means lots of trans Atlantic phone calls and a deal of hassle, and it's easy since my lady is having to go through her childhood items by proxy and ecide what she wants to keep.It's also difficult given that my lady's sister is getting rather stressed, and manifestly its a little difficult to help with things when you have a rather large ocean in the way.

As well as the moving and my usual reading (this time lots of Stephen King), I have also submitted my first formal article to tor.com. This is a deal more professional than I've done recently, one step closer if I want to start writing professionally  and even comes with payment, so we'll see what happens, though I'm likely to have to wait a couple of weeks.

on a more usual level I'm also this morning just finishing off my review for Heartless, Marissa Meyer's rather odd prequel to Alice in Wonderland.

Hopefully everyone else is having a good time in this wet and dismal august, my lady is quite disappointed that summer seems to have finished, but that is England for you big_smile.

2017-08-14 16:42:27

Hi.
Well, the thing was that the people over there at stage entertainment in Hamburg were quite the nice bunch, and when I told them that I was blind, they actually granted us a tour.
I am excited already, we will travel to Hamburg on August 24 and will stay there for about a week or so.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-08-16 06:32:51

This month has been miserable for me, mainly because I got all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed, and I've been in a great deal of pain since Friday. Hopefully it gets better within the next 2 days, because I heard that's when all the stitches go away. Other than that, not much else has happened this month.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-08-16 15:18:45

Hi.
Darn it. Dark, I might need your help over here.
Last month in the chat topic, Phill posted an arabian name which I needed. Well, in my cleverniss i forgot to write down the name.
Is there an archive of those topics somewhere or do they just get deleted?
Greetings Moritz.

2017-08-16 15:48:36

Old monthly chat threads stick around, just not so stickily. They quickly fall off the first page from disuse.
Here's July, page 2: http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.p … 40&p=2

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-16 18:42:54

@ sorry to hear about the tooth extraction, that does not sound fun, as the old saying has it, the tooth hurts big_smile.

@Simba, the back stage tour sounds cool, I'm quite jealous. As Cae said, yes, monthly chat topics hang around forever like any other topic, they're just not stuck on the top of the first page of the offtopic room anymore, July's is here

@Cae, one thing I would highly recommend in terms of forum interface is to go to your profile and under display settings set the maximum posts per page and maximum topics per page to 75 (the highest number allowed). That way you have to change pages less often which makes topics easier to read.

Well things over here are a little odd, that irritating combination  apathy and about to be being very busy which is definitely not good.

I took a break and read the last one of Cressida cowell's how to train your dragon books which I've been waiting to read. this is definitely! a kids series, sort of Roald dahl with dragons and Vikings and pirates (one reason I like them), and has very little to do with the films or tv series (they basically rewrote the hole thing).

I love them for the dragons which are awesome and even have rp stats, but the books can get a bit over preachy on occasion.
I was therefore slightly disappointed in the series final ending being that everyone just suddenly decided to stop the war and follow the path of all things fluffy and snuggly.
Now, I very much like! the  of stopping wars and following paths of all things fluffy and snuggly, however given that said dragon involved had had his human partner stabbed in front of him and then was imprisoned for 100 years so had actually quite a good reason to want to wipe out humanity, I sort of felt cheated it was that easy to change his mind.

There was also an unintentional irony at the end of the book in which Hickup the hero as an old man narrating the series gave a wonderfully empowering speech about "anyone can be a hero and change the world" followed by a list of copywrite credits as long as your arm and notes that anyone who broke the sacred copywrite would be sued, stoned, eaten by sharks, cast out to utter darkness etc etc.

So the message is clear, anyone can be a hero and change the world, ---- so long as you have lots of money and don't upset the people who already have lots of money!

Yee gods I am in a cynical mood today. Maybe its that my lady and I are going for our literal last meal at the inn where we first went as a couple, or maybe it's just my dread of moving, heck, I heaven't even got on to what I thought of steven king's green mile which I've just finished, or my lack of progress with finding browser games that interest me (for more see the google captchas topic).

2017-08-16 20:33:19

@Dark The stitches are gone, but the holes and the swelling are still there. It's going to take another weak for the swelling and holes to go away. If anyone doesn't know what it's like to have wisdom teeth taken out, it's bad. You can't eat a lot of things, especially solids. I've been on a strait liquid diet for the past weak and will continue to be until my mouth heals completely.

TWITCH

2017-08-17 13:50:37

You have to get wisdom teeth removed, they cause problems.

TWITCH

2017-08-17 14:28:52

Hi.
Well, for some people the wisdom teath actually don't need to be removed, don't ask me why please, I am not a dentist profffessional. It's also that some people have more or less wisdom teath than others. The usual for example is 4, I for example have just 2 of these, hope that I never have to get them removed though.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-08-17 15:19:09

Hi,
Well recently I updated my iOS to iOS 9, from iOS 7, on an iPhone 4S, a device I've been using as an app-based device for a while, but have been too scared to update. So, now that I have access to more apps, what games have I missed? Fruit pot and nanoempire come to mind, but what else?
@Dark Where did you get the how to train your dragon books? It's a series I've always been interested in.

2017-08-17 21:19:55

You may want to get an IPhone 6, because all 32 bit devices are being discontinued when IOS 11 comes out. If you're looking for games, I hear Crafting Kingdom and King Of Dragon Pass are pretty good.

TWITCH

2017-08-17 22:44:26

Hi.
If you don't mind the small screen size, the iPhone SE would be your best of choice. It has the specs of a regular 6S, without the 3D touch though which isn't really used anywhere anyway, picture stabilizer which you don't need as I guess.
I would not pick up the 6 anymore because the thing is that they might stop updating the device in 2 or three years or so and you have to search a new device again, I would stick with the slimmed down version of the 66S, the iPhone SE, it's also way cheaper than the regular big models.
To put it into numbers, the iPhone 4S has a screen width of 3.5 inches, the SE has 4.0 inches, a regular 6, 6S or 7 has 4.7 inches, and the 6 plus, 6S plus and 7 plus have 5.5 inch screens.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-08-18 01:39:35

@Aaron, the books are available in a few places since there are commercial audio versions actually read by David Tenant himself.

As regards the  Ios situation I'm a trifle worried myself since my battery on my iPhone 5 seems utterly caput! I'm a little irritated at the hole 32 bit thing, since to be honest I've not actually noticed any difference in these magical bigger numbers with windows, and again it seems like a way for  companies to just screw people of stuff they've bought and persuade people to buy yet more stuff.

Then again   since I really can't cope with an iPhone that I can only use off power for about half an hour at most, the point is probably moot, though when i'll have the time and cash to invest in a newer IPhone (probably one of the 7 series), I don't know since things are busy at the moment.

I confess I'm a bit stressed at the moment, since massive amounts of the busy have started. I'm currently back at my parents using my new (well good quality reconditioned), windows 10 laptop, which at this  point has  barely anything on it and needs  mail and office and  other such things  configuring, heck at the moment I'm use Sapi with NVda because I don't think I'm going to install supernova just to use the sam to sapi addon and  orphius, though I suppose a backup screen reader might not be such a bad idea at that.
I also am considering buying vocaliser provided the reaction speed is a little better than sapi,  again I need  sorted before I can do this.

all of that is a side issue though since today we looked at carpets and wall paper and  the moving is well moving closer. And next  week I'll be at the Aims international music school for a week something I usually love, but this year feels almost like an imposition given how much shenanigans are happening due to the move though  I suppose I'll enjoy it once I'm there, though the idea of six hours of singing each day followed by several days of moving furniture and grappling with changing gas and electricity and internet and such doesn't sound too fun.
this might also mean I'm not around on the forum as much for a  while, though I'll try and stick my head around the door at least metaphorically whenever I can.

2017-08-27 09:04:33

Well I know we haven't had anymore replies here, but I thought I might stick my noggin around the door as things have been good recently.
I've been at Aims international music school for a week which means lots of hard work singing. I've been a bit disappointed that with my voice, but it eventually got into gear which was good.

This time around I was doing Orphius in a version of Orphius and Euridice by Offenbach, though in this version Orphius isnt' actually that fond of Euridice and doesn't want her back, but is forced by his mum, Calliope to go and get her back anyway including a flight on balloon to Olympus piloted by Icarus where Orphius suffers an upset stomach and complains a lot, (I got to wine).

What was doubly amusing is in some fit of weird casting Mrs. dark was cast as calliope; Orphius's mother, which I think the director was having jokes about (him and Mr. Freud).
I also got to sing Erantry, a setting of one of Tolkien's poems since the theme this year for the music school was myths and legends.
I really need to remember to practice though, since I can really get my voice sorted when I do, hopefully I'll have time when we've moved house, indeed it'd be great to get more opportunities to sing though we're still looking for an accompanist so we can do more stuff since it's generally a good thing to do, also horribly muscular exercise, one reason I enjoy it so much.

Unfortunately, now we literally have four days to pack up all the stuff and move house, which is not so good, so no chance to just crash out and play some games which I would like since methinks I'm in something of a mudding mood and as usual the db needs more work.
Also my IPhone really! needs a battery, my mum was attempting to video the performance and wasn't able to due to the battery dying in seconds.
I just hope they're not too expensive since I will need to change from my IPhone 5 but was hoping to keep it going until around Christmas whne the 7 series will be on sale.

In other news, before we left Mrs. Dark and I finished the green mile by Stephen king which was great, and hear at music school since I wanted some fluff to relax to I did ready player one by Earnist Kline, which I know people have read.

I really liked the eighties references, though I wish he'd included more of the console wars, Nintendo and sega etc, indeed it seemed a lot of the references were very much of things that Kline himself liked, though I got the Zork clue straight away big_smile.

My problem though is that the book itself had far too many holes. It's interesting that in a cellibration of Geek culture, that the actual main character is an over opinionated, actually quite unpleasant in who winjs about his lack of skill with girls and actually behaves like a total arse, even to his friends in the guise of competition.
I'm about as Geek as they come, I got most of the references (accept those to American tv sitcoms and a lot of the heavy metal stuff), but there is no reason to be an arse to people.

Oh, and also I happen to be married to someone who is pretty much as Geek as I am in terms of literature, scifi etc, even if Mrs. dark is less of a gamer (though she is definitely getting into tabletop rp games).

I also didn't like the fact that basically the book's female character had to apologise to the annoying hero when he! had a go at her, indeed the characters were rather typical in a lot of ways, though at least said girl wasn't kidnapped.

so, a good book for references, albeit references that rather missed one major area of eighties geek culture, but really in terms of actual literature.

In other words, pure and total fluff, good fluff to read when singing for eight hours a day, not really serious fiction.

2017-08-28 04:40:19

As for me and books, I've recently got in to the Tarzan of the apes books, and am currently reading the second one. Its kind of weird to read books on an IPhone with voiceover instead of audiobooks, i'm not really sure why i decided to get those versions, but it really isn't too bad.
In the second book, tarzan returns, he seems to be more of a superhero, as he follows russian spies around and beets them if they harass anybody, and although he's not in an african jungle swinging on vines but instead living in France, he still uses his strenkth to fight off multiple men at a time when a countess was attacked, and he even took on the cops when a lie was told about how he had been involved. He even took to the rooftops to get away from them at one point, and although i'm not too far into the book it is quite a good read for anyone who likes action and doesn't mind slightly out dated english, though bear in mind that the first book especially has several racist comments due to the time it was writen in. Still a pretty good book though, both so far have been good.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-08-28 12:08:14

I've never been a fan of reading novels with a synth myself, I just find the rhythm is completely off, especially when reading dialogue or bits of poetry, one reason why I'd take the worst human reader over the best synth any day.

then again, synths are getting better all the time, and I do wonder if a point will come where one is human enough  me.
I do already play gamebooks with synths it is true, although if a human reader were available for those I'd probably use one.

With respect to Tarzan I've always found the bits I've run into a bit tooo! hammy. One thing I really dislike about superheroes, is how easy they have everything. They beat the  guys because they cannot lose, they're rarely human enough to be decent, and even the conflicts they do have eg, I hate my powers or why can't I save everyone, are so stylised as to appear more self centered breast beating than anything else.

Tarzan started this trend and rather gets me for the same reason.

Then again, the original Conan the Barbarian stories are almost as bad (although I do like the fact that Howard actually depicts Conan as quite clever, not just a dumb muscle head), and I have enjoyed those on occasion, although rather admittedly more for the landscapes and poetically exotic bits of writing than for the character of Conan himself, something which interesting Martin picks up on in game of thrones.

I also am afraid I dislike the fact that  completely defames the character of gorillas, indeed if people want to read a great book about intelligent apes I'd suggest the uplift war by david Brin which features a future humanity actually raising chimps, and indeed Gorillas to the point of sentience.

Btw, speaking of books, my review of the next Seanon McGuire October daye book is now posted and can be read here

I didn't enjoy late eclipses as much as the previous book, artificial night, but I really am liking this series. an urban fantasy about Fae living in modern day  Sanfransisco, and probably the best urban fantasy I've ever read.

I'm currently reading a book of 100 great sf short short stories, i.e. stories about five or ten minutes each, some as short as just one sentence.
Very awesome reading, though obviously some are better than others.

I next plan to go back to Robbin Hobb and read the three in the fitz fool trilogy. I've really enjoyed all her other world of the elderlings books, probably with the liveship traders as my favourite, and it'll be interesting to see where Fitz winds up, also of course I'm a sucker for anything with dragons since dragons are so cool big_smile.

I didn't want to start the series until the third book was out, since if it's like Hobb's usual writing I will not! want to stop in the middle big_smile.

2017-08-28 15:20:43

I do enjoy short stories, 2 sentence horror stories are what I mostly read when it comes to the very short ones. I really enjoy horror themed stories and spend a lot of time online listening to narrators reading stories that they find on reddit or are given to them by listeners, such narrators are corpse husband, and lazy masquerade to name a few.
Dark, you said you would like to read interactive fiction stories with a human narrator, well, there are always the ones like code name signus and graille to the thief that are full audio as you probably know already.
Also since were on the topic of books and stories, dark, I wouldn't mind reading your harry potter review if you could put a link in here somewhere, I'm interested to see what your thoughts on them are as your game reviews in the audiogames data base are quite well written.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-08-28 18:50:29

Short shorts can be fun, and some in the 100 best sf short shorts were definitely rather horror orientated. of course, since the collection was edited by Isaac Asimov and published in the early eighties  stories were a wee bit dated, but on the other hand a lot of others were exceptionally good.
There used to be a horror podcast series I liked called variant frequencies, I'm not sure what ever happened to those though.
I especially enjoyed their failed cities monologues, sort of a set  of linked stories in a distopean future, they even did a follow up Christmas version called hatha darkness.

Fyi, What I actually do  the games on this site are not reviews, if they were I would not be universally positive and would discuss in depth my likes dislikes. they are descriptions of the games intended to give information in a positive manner and help people learn about what games are out there, indeed if I confined the db to just! those games I liked it would be a lot smaller big_smile.

My actual book reviewsare far more critical. I really hate it when on places like good all the reviews are either "this is the best thing ever!" or "this is the worst thing ever!"
So when I write reviews I try and be a little more analytical, saying what I did and did not like and why.

I haven't actually reviewed any of the Harry potter books accept for Harry potter and the cursed child, since I mostly write reviews either A, when www.fantasybookreview.co.uk doesn't have a review for a book and I want  contribute one, or B, when I wildly disagree with the existing on site review and want to say something different.

also, I obviously don't like reviewing everything! I read, so for something like harry potter that has reviews already I'll usually just leave it unless I get hit with a sudden urge.
Indeed as we're back at my flat now and going to be  packing everything up into boxes to move to my new house, I probably won't be writing anymore book reviews for a while.
that is one reason I've now started on Robbin Hobb's Fool's assassin trilogy  since her books already have reviews over at fantasybookreview.co.uk so I don't need to write anymore, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing where she takes Fitz and the world in this latest trilogy, albeit Liveship and Raindwild chronicles are probably still my favourite of her elderlings books so far.

You can find all the reviews I've done (about 65 so far I think), here

Hth.