2017-08-15 11:56:00

Hi all.
I just want to give my feedback on some things that happen here on the forum.
Note.
I don't have any intentions to hurt any feelings.
Firstly, if someone posts a question to something, its really not nice to wait for 1 day and someone replies with an answer like this
(this game is dieing, go find something else to play)
or something like this
e.g. (What do I have to do when I get to the bottom of the tree in pacman?)
Answer: (something)
That only happened once.
Its just annoying when you really are stuck and some replies with an answer like that, If this comes off a little too harshly, i'm sorry.
These things don't happen a lot.

And also when people ask for games that are old and they want a registration key and the game isn't being soled or supported anymore (bavisoft anyone?)
Why can't we just get the game?
If the dev isn't around anymore, I don't see how it will affect them, if they post on the forum, then I understand, but when you can't get hold of them in anyway, if they have left the game world, What do they even care?
I'm sorry for the way i'm phrasing this matter.
And sorry if it comes off a little too harshly.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2017-08-15 14:36:23

Hi,
This isn't harsh at all, it makes a lot of sense.
I can answer the question about devs but the other one is kind of out of our control, it's best for people to just use common sense and luckily, most people here do answer stuff properly.
Now, as for devs, sometimes some of the devs don't want their projects distributed, that's the worse case scenario and that doesn't happen often. The other scenario is a very sad one though, and that's simply if a game gets lost to time, and it's a shame when this happens. There's a game I've always wanted to try, and that one is Terra Sonica, and I'll probably never get the chance now.

2017-08-16 09:21:22

About the point of harsh answers, as Aaron said that isn't something we can actively control, though again if the answer is so harsh as to constitute a personal attack feel free to report it to the mods and we'll see what we can do.

usually when I've seen this sort of thing though its just people being abrupt rather  than actively unpleasant and unfortunately part of having this forum as a place for free discussion means that people are free to be a bit spiky if they want.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-23 14:23:36

RTT entertainment wrote:

And also when people ask for games that are old and they want a registration key and the game isn't being soled or supported anymore (bavisoft anyone?)
Why can't we just get the game?
If the dev isn't around anymore, I don't see how it will affect them, if they post on the forum, then I understand, but when you can't get hold of them in anyway, if they have left the game world, What do they even care?

Your right -- the devs don't care. It's not necessarily a matter of abandonment of a game. Yes, the game is abandoned. But the copyright and the other legal hoops aren't. And that's the main problem. The mods can't just allow anyone to give anyone else a game that's known to be abandoned, because they have no idea if we'll all get in trouble because of it. And, in this instance, it's not the mods or the distributor that will get in trouble, it's the site admin -- the main owner of the site -- who will get in trouble. And since he/she owns the site, all the blame will fall squarely onto them, no matter who distributed the game or product originally. (Read this topic for in-depth details.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github