2017-08-14 09:45:17

Hi all,
What do you think, make a petition, that games like as Papasangre should be back?
Here is answer from Somethinelse, when I wrote them and asked.

"We are unable to provide a game code as it’s Somethin’ Else intellectual property and we no longer have a development department to provide an updated version.
"
What means, that they should probably develop, but there is nobody. If we get the code, I think, that there should be some of us, who will be able reprogramming for the IOS. What do you think, about this idea?

2017-08-14 17:00:28 (edited by jack 2017-08-14 18:46:06)

It's a nice idea, but a petition won't do. The fact of the matter is they *can't* continue the project. And I guess I can see why Somethin Else isn't willing to let go of the intellectual property, or can't let go, or what have you. Don't get the idea that Somethin Else just won't let up, I'm sure they'd release the code if they could. The fact of the matter is that it could possibly have to do with the fact that big-name voice actors were hired for the projects, so they may wish to retain their rights.

2017-08-14 17:58:55

Yeah, it's not just the program code's license. You'd also have to get all the other artists who aided in creating the game to sign off on the idea too. And even if you accomplished that, if the original development team is no longer available, you have to pay somebody to learn the code to remove the DRM and simply making the game open source or free wouldn't justify that cost.

And at only a few bucks I consider most of these very inexpensive or free mobile apps akin to rentware anyway.

The games are gone, time to move on to newer games.

2017-08-14 18:44:47

Yeah. For a project like Tdv it was ok to simply release it under gpl to maintain it as an active project while time permits. Unfortunately not for games that probably had more money invested in them than other audio game developers have been able to invest. It would not be as simple for everyone to agree to release the code under gpl. Make no mistake about it, fair play drm on app store apps could potentially be stripped without having access to a dev team, there are probably guides everywhere that any of the folks over at Somethin Else could refer to. But to release that code under gpl would not be within their agenda, indeed they may never even be able to. Hell, even Dan Zingaro told me that if he were to open source the bsc games, the sounds wouldn't be part of the package nor the encryption mechanism, simply because some of those sounds were either custom made, or raw and unmodified sounds from a library, and it would not be within their legal rights to let those go out in the open.

2017-08-14 21:16:29

Just like Audio Quake and other similar games.

Audio Quake itself is free, but you have to buy the original Quake game because the developers of Audio Quake don't have a license to distribute any of the resources from the original Quake that Audio Quake uses.

2017-08-14 22:32:55

Have to agree with Orko and Jack on this one. It's time to let this go and move on to bigger and better things. This actually reminds me of a certain episode of The Simpsons. The show's writers wanted to have one of the characters sing Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald into a toy microphone that broadcast to a radio. Unfortunately Gordon Lightfoot arranged things so that in order for anyone to obtain the rights to use that song for anything they had to get permission from the families of all 29 victims of that tragedy, so it would probably have been more trouble than it was worth. I see the same situation here for these games. I think we just have to accept the fact that, sad as it is the games are gone and most likely won't be coming back.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-08-15 02:38:02

I never knew that about that song, but I think that what he did shows that he had a lot of respect and consideration for those families and applaud what he did.

It wouldn't surprise me if those families also get a portion of any royalties the song generates.

2017-08-15 03:29:47

Yeah probably.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-08-21 08:11:22

Hi all,
I contacted somethinElse, they replied me in a few mails, why they stopped the development.
They didn't want share the source code, when asked, if they can provide me the ipa file, they replied, that not possible, because they don't have any developers team. Recommended me, contact apple.
I did it, explainet the situation they promised to do the best and if it will be interesting, they can take care of development game.
But still question, is there somebody who is having the latest ipa files of their games? I think, that we will need it. If yes don't write any comments here, but write me a private message please.
Thank you in advance.

2017-08-22 15:02:09

I don't think that getting an IPA file is possible, cause that one is tide to one apple account.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-08-22 16:53:32

The games are gone just as many other audio games have also disappeared. Get over it and move on.

2017-08-23 01:28:04

Hanif, an ipa file is just as easily obtainable as an older m4p file from iTunes. The file itself is right there. Using it is the hard part. Think of it as being given the locking mechanism but no one else but the owner knew the code, and never revealed it. That's what fair play drm is in plain English. Every time you launch a fair play protected file, whether that be a song pre2009, movie, audiobook or paid app, there will be a key check. There's an encrypted repository of keys that are used to decrypt the file. If a key is not found, you will usually be asked to enter your apple id. If you don't provide a valid apple id that paid for the content, you're left no better off than you were before, even though you have the file. Unless of course, you strip the drm, but most drm strippers, rightfully so, check for a downloaded license key before giving you the decrypted version to make sure you're actually decrypting your own content. Or at least, they used to. Lol. The point is, apps are encrypted. And I very much doubt that Apple would take drastic steps to redevelop these games as Merek2000 is possibly suggesting. From a marketing standpoint, they got more important things to do. Bottom line, the games may very well be lost to time. Even if you, a purchaser of the apps, stripped the drm, you'd have to hold onto your older 32bit devices and only folks who had such devices could play the games. Because, starting on ios11, 32bit support is no more, unfortunately.

2017-08-23 02:21:23

So Somethin Else never added 64 bit support to their games? Wasn't that a requirement for new apps for a long time?

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-08-23 04:00:47

They would've if they were still around. Even without the 64bit problem, it became very difficult and quite costly to maintain the audio components on Apple's ever-changing hardware.

2017-08-23 04:49:31 (edited by musicalman 2017-08-23 04:51:22)

Orko wrote:

The games are gone just as many other audio games have also disappeared. Get over it and move on.

It seems every so often, we lose another audio game. As small as the library is, it kinda feels sad to me. I'm at least a little bummed when any game I used to like goes away, even if it's something really stupid that nobody in their right mind would think to play now that supposedly better games are out. Yeah we knew it would come to this long ago, SomethinElse kept putting it out that each iteration of IOS was making things harder and sooner or later they'd just have to quit. But a blunt "get over it and move on" doesn't seem very encouraging in this small community, even if, as repeatedly stated, it's all you can do in this case.

Also something else I should mention: The sounds to these games are visible if you downloaded an IPA back when the apps were still being sold. You can download IPA files through ITunes, extract them with 7zip and the sounds are right there, no illegal hacking knowledge needed. You can't get IPA files for the games anymore, and if you could I really have no clue how well they'd work, so that's probably why they were pulled from purchases. It strikes me as a little odd that, as damn good as their audio is, it wasn't kept a little more safe. If the sounds were wide open, what else was too? That thought scares me a little bit if I were trying to think from a developer standpoint, and is something worth thinking about when you decide to develop an audio game. How easy is it for people to obtain your assets? Could someone reengineer your game? In the case of SomethinElse I doubt it, though the sounds is over half the assets right there. I do hope if they ever make games again, and I reeeally still hope they do, that they at least have better protection and can somehow... establish better marketting, since I think that was an ongoing struggle for them. Getting enough funding for the games. I know nothing about doing these things, so I can't blame them for having the struggles they did. I probably wouldn't have done 10 percent the work they did if I were trying to do it myself, so I'm not trying to say they did anything wrong.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-08-23 14:32:53

Hi all,
I will try again explain what I need.
About signing the ipa file, could be and couldn't be true, because I tested with older ipa which aren't actually working on ios 9.3.x, the sound is not there only the music, pyu them to the 4s and not required a applied.
If I hat signed or unsigned the ipa file, apple could sign it, because they are having the record, that I bought the game.

I aree, that is better try to again ressured those games, than left it, in the past many situations changed, but there hat been interested.

If you have the ipa file, could I ask you send it, if it will need your ID you are save, because I will be not able to install it.

As I wrote the problem was with the backup, where I expected, that everything will be restored, but this wasn't true.

For example in the mac appstore, you are eligible download your purchases, despite they aren't in the store, same with the android, but not with IOS.

2017-08-23 14:34:08

And about 64 bit, interesting is, that Papasangre 2 is nto possible to play in ios 11, but papasangre 1 with small tricks yes, same is with the audio defence.

2017-08-23 15:54:47

Hi again,
About ther development from SomethinElse, they don't have dis dept. anymore, what means, that they will with 99% probability will not continue on of the development.

2017-08-23 16:26:27

I suspect that with the advent of iOS 11 and the dropping of 32 bit support, that we'll see a number of 32 bit apps disappear from the app store, especially if they haven't been updated in a while.

If you have an older iPhone that won't be able to run iOS 11, and are not planning to upgrade, you should probably grab those apps you want now before they disappear.

2017-08-23 23:50:35

Orco is probably right. I've been thinking this for a long time ever since I heard of 32 bit support being dropped. Some apps have already been pulled, both from purchases and from the app store. And i suspect many more will be once 32 bit support is officially dropped.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-08-24 02:54:24

Yeah. Merek2000 I'd let this be a lesson, as much as it sucks to admit it, companies can pull the switch on your purchases if they so choose. Amazon's done it before, believe me. The most infamous incident involved a copy of the book 1984 I believe. People who purchased it suddenly saw the book disappear from their device and an apology from Amazon. All this happened without warning. The Free Software Foundation, whom now that I've seen them in a better light I'm not entirely supportive of some of their somewhat extremist anti-proprietary views, released a statement basically saying, here's just one more example of how much control companies really have over licensed material. They were right to point that out, but what they failed to consider was the statement that Amazon released, stating the very reason for the removal of the book as an unauthorized reproduction of an otherwise non-public domain work. The difference between Amazon and Apple, is that if memory serves, Amazon refunded. Apple didn't.

2017-08-24 05:35:27

hmm if someone want to grab the ipa files of these games, including some old cracked ipas, can find it on the alternative stores for jailbrocken iOs.

In the past, I found some ipas of papasangre1.

2017-08-25 09:19:40

Why I can have cracked ipa, if I bought the game?
With cracked, you don't know, what you take to the phone.
Not this is not the way. For me appel should left it in the ios for older devices, for example 4s will stay on 9.3.5 ios and there I can run all the 32 bits apps, which I love.
But how it looks, nobody is having the ipa files. They could be extracted from the phone, when go to the iTunes, find the app in the phone and by clicking right mouse button will save, but I didn't saw anybody with the installed games at this time.

2017-08-25 16:15:54 (edited by Orko 2017-08-25 16:21:35)

I'm no fan of Apple, but even I wouldn't want one of those older phones when you consider what the newer phones offer.

Besides, this is just a silly little game that cost less than $5, if I recall correctly, not something like Nearby Explorer or KNFB Reader, or even Seeing AI. It's not like you are going to lose something that gives you some independence, or does something useful.