2017-08-12 14:42:56

Does anyone know of the /arch/setup script? It comes on arch but I don't know if it comes on talking arch. It is supposed to be a menu system.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-08-12 16:55:11

It should, talking arch is just arch with speech as far as I'm aware.

2017-08-12 20:12:00

yes but for me no menu

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-08-13 01:09:28

Unfortunately, /arch/setup no longer comes on Arch Linux. It hasn't since 2012 I think. It's no longer necessary, anyway -- your supposed to manually install Arch Linux to allow you the most customizability. You might also learn a few things here and there if you do. Using an installation script like /arch/setup removes the possibility of you learning anything and the possibility of full customizability. If that script was there now, it would be like locking you into a specific set of options and not allowing you to manually install it. In fact, the URL that discusses the arch installation scripts (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … edirect=no) now redirects to the installation guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide). I would stop attempting to find it and just install it manually.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-13 03:06:44

true i forgot about that

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-08-13 16:47:12

There's also this script from StormDragon, which was designed to create a VM, although I expect it could be used to install Arch on a real machine.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-13 20:31:16

@blindncool, yes, it can, although last time I tried it it had some... issues. Perhaps it's been updated since then.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-13 23:15:44

Hi. The /arch/setup script has been depricated for a few years now. Officially, according to the arch wiki, you have to install manually, as in partitioning the disk, optionally setting up encryption or lvm, mounting your partitions, installing whichever packages you want on your system, and performing post installation steps such as generating your fstab, setting hostname, locale and timezone, creating a user and setting passwords and so on. I didn't know about storm's script, I have to look into that, but if you just want to experiment with arch without doing all the heavy lifting manually, I have created a script that presents a menu and text based interface to install either one of several system presets such as a basic command line, gnome or mate desktops, accessible kodi media center, even android onto a physical machine or vm. This is located in a custom talkingarch iso file, whichcan be found on my web server, https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100
if you want to see how the script works, the resources directory, which holds the additional files, pacman configs, access stick resources, android root tarballs, and a tarball which will allow you to make your own iso and host your own autobuild server can all be found at https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100/autobuildres.

2017-08-14 14:06:16

Nice one Hacker.

2017-08-15 00:01:33

Man that blows. What about Linux noobs who don't know how to do all that stuff and could possibly fuck up their system?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-15 00:36:20

hi blindncool: interesting question. If you're new to linux and are looking for something that quote unquote just works, arch may not be the best distro to start out with. However, if you have a bit of time and don't mind potentially going on an adventure with your physical or virtual machine, I have made a text and menu driven program that will give you an accessible arch or android installation, with verry little need to tinker with the nitty gritty ins and outs of partitioning, disk encryption and whatnot. The program, called autobuild, along with my other projects, can be found on my web server. Since the installation process wipes out the selected disk, I would recommend using a hypervisor such as vmware or virtualbox to try the installation. If you need help, I can be emailed at dnl.nash[at]gxmxaxixlx.xcxoxm, removing the x's and replacing the [at] with the convensional simbol for email addresses. Also, if you have google hangouts, feel free to drop me a line if you need any assistance.