2017-08-10 21:31:22

So the subject says it all. Jake Gross uploaded a thing to AnyAudio.net demonstrating Keynote Gold with NVDA, and I'm curious as to how to set that up.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-10 22:32:36

Firstly you'll need a Braille Note that has Keynote Gold such as the MPower. Then somehow you interface that with NvDA. If you don't have the device, you can't do it that way, and there is no reliable software implementation of it on Windows that I know of.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2017-08-10 22:54:14

Jake modified the Doubletalk Lt addon to interface to Keynote Gold, but it's not officially available yet, probably because the implementation is a little buggy.

2017-08-11 00:55:46

Hi.
An extra step would be to not only have a BrailleNote Classic or BrailleNote mPower, but you'd also need a cable with serial on one end and USB on the other. You'd have to go to Remote Synthesizer on these devices in order to interface it with a screen reader of your choice. Sorry Apex users, you don't have Remote Synthesizer on there. Alternatively you could TRY to find a Keynote SA hardware synthesizer somewhere. Older BrailleNote units are found pretty cheaply these days, so those would be your best bet.

2017-08-11 04:03:07

The addon doesn't support changing any settings such as rate, pitch, and inflection. You can change the rate and pitch on the braillenote itself, or if you want to change them in a wider range, or change other keynote gold voice settings, you can send voice commands to it in a terminal application when the synth isn't in use by nvda.
The terminal application I use is the one that comes with Windows NT 3.51, which actually works on modern versions of Windows.
You can find information about voice commands in a keynote developer manual which you can find at http://grossgang.com/tts/old_software_s … anual.docx
You can get the addon and terminal application from http://grossgang.com/tts/synthesizers%2 … rdware.zip
To use the addon, just place keynote.py in your user config\synth drivers directory, and restart nvda.
In my case, the serial port that the synth uses is com5, so if your port is different, you will have to go into the addon code and change the port number to the port that the synth appears to be connected to.

2017-08-11 06:33:25

I don't know what model usb serial adapter is distributed with the apex. Meanwhile, I found one on Amazon for about 7 bucks, as long as its plug-n-play it should work.

2017-08-11 17:05:31

Yeah unfortunately I don't have a brailleNote. sad Speaking of BrailleNote, does anyone know if Keynote Gold will be included in the new BrailleNote Touch?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-11 20:35:08

I don't see what technical justification existed for removing Remote Synthesizer from the Apex. It's the exact same software, surely? And if they can handle braille over serial, why not speech over serial, too?

I used Keynote SA for the longest time. I might still have it. It took me through, among other things, MS-DOS with Vocal-Eyes and OS/2 with ScreenReader/2.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-08-11 21:26:58

Humanware found it unnecessary apparently as the hardware synth era was at a so-called end, so they removed it from the Apex for that reason. Blindncool, no keynote in the touch.