2017-08-10 22:48:32

hi, does some one know's a way to disable  ads?   because my nvda crash's when it reads the ads.

2017-08-10 23:55:31

What browser are you using? Ad blocker + is usually the best bet.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-11 00:04:41

Don't get Adblock plus. Their motive isn't completely driven by people who hate and despise ads, and will allow businesses to pay them to not block ads. Get Ublock Origin instead, if you want a true ad blocker.

2017-08-11 01:44:59

I just use the MVPS hosts file from MVPS.org, and I get no ads, and the nice thing about it is that it works with all browsers because it blocks the ads  at the TCP/IIP protocol driver. No additional software to slow down your browser is needed, assuming the software even supports your choice of browser in the first place. It simply uses a feature that's been built into the protocol driver since Windows 95 and probably earlier.

2017-08-11 03:04:10

It'd be nice if there was a way to disable javascript, but only for specific websites. That'd probably solve the crashing problem.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-11 06:20:31

I'd love a site specific javascript disabler, something like that could be set up to use the noscript part of the page and might make inaccessible or difficult to access pages a lot more accessible. Unfortunately, something like that would have to be written as a browser add on which means every page you look at is going to have to be processed by at least a small part of the add on which would just slow things down.

While a single add on like this might not produce a noticeable slow down, after you add it, an ad blocker, and a few other add ons you want and you start significantly adding to the code that has to process each page you look at and it begins to add up.

2017-08-11 13:44:38

jack wrote:

Don't get Adblock plus. Their motive isn't completely driven by people who hate and despise ads, and will allow businesses to pay them to not block ads. Get Ublock Origin instead, if you want a true ad blocker.

is this addon for firefox?

2017-08-11 14:45:18

Ad Block Plus is for Internet Explorer and Firefox.

2017-08-11 20:48:27

One of IE's more useful features, to be sure. You could configure "zones". Each "zone" would then have parameters specific to it, such as whether or not scripting was in use, and it would apply to some list of domains and its subdomains. It really was very valuable because you could essentially configure a very lightweight web browsing experience in the typical case, only permitting exceptions for the stuff you needed to use. This took effort, but it was always worth it.

But there are still useful scripts on the forum pages you wouldn't want to block. For example the banner at the top of the page when an action is complete--that's javascript. And the drop-down at the foot of every page to jump you to a room. And so on. You can live without them though.

MODERATION:

I am moving this to Site Feedback because that's really the proper place for it.

Just myself, as usual.