2017-07-25 06:50:21

so this may seem like a bit of a strange question... but hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. So when you  use the keystrokes to jump between headings, links etc NVDA will announce the text of what your jumping to, followed by the element type. For example, you press H to jump to a level 1 heading with the text test. NVDA announces test heading level 1. Now, if I navigated with the arrow keys to that same heading, NVDA reads it the other way round and we get heading level 1 test. This inconsistency is really starting to bug the hell out of me tbh. My question is this, is their a way of making the resulting announcements from arrow key navigation the same as what you'd get from using keystrokes to jump around a page? I'd find that much faster, as I don't always really care if a particular bit of text is at heading level two or if it's inside of frame 3, that's inside of frame whatever.

tl;dr.
Is it possible to have NVDA consistently read the text  of  document elements, followed by the type using both keystrokes and arrow keys?

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-07-25 17:13:05

I think you would have to modify the source code to do this, currently. Agree with this, though.

2017-07-25 18:08:23

Jaws behaves the same way. I think the logic behind it is that if you press the quick nav key for a particular element, you know you're cycling through that element so it classes the element type as of secondary importance. Whereas if you're arrowing through a page, it puts the element type first because if a heading, or link, or whatever had lots of words in it, it would be inefficient to put the element type second. I know how you feel when it comes to headings though. I hardly ever need to know whether something is a heading or not, so it would be nice if you could switch the priority when arrowing. I wouldn't want links to be announced that way though.

2017-07-27 13:24:05

does anyone know if there is an add on vault I can browse through to see if theirs useful  ones I can download?

2017-07-27 21:58:42

Hi.
You can try the official NVDA Add-on repository, located at https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

You can also get to this page directly from NVDA's Add-ons Manager via the

2017-07-28 10:17:48

As well as the official site mentioned, I also find This page for Nvda addons useful.
It has several handy ones like the clipboard addon and addon for dropbox.

You could also check directly on Oriol Gomez site since all of the addons he has written are on there too. 

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-28 16:39:01

thanks a lot guys,    I am very impressed with NVDA at the moment.

I really hope I can get used to it over jaws,  because freedom scientific has priced me out for a copy of jaws 18..  Where they get these obscene prices  from is beyond my comprehension.

2017-07-28 18:58:25

After my sad disappointment with Supernova 16's supposed "windows 10 compatibility" which basically translated to being compatible with only those bits of windows 10 they chose to support (very different from how Supernova used to be on Xp), I switched  to Nvda full time in January and haven't regretted it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-02 01:42:48 (edited by flackers 2017-08-02 01:46:35)

Is it possible to have NVDA announce links on their own line the way jaws does? For those who don't use jaws, when you arrow through a document, any link is announced as if it's on its own line, whereas NVDA announces them in the way they truly appear, e.g, if there's a couple of links in the middle of a line of text, you have to listen to the whole line then navigate to the links. This means that when arrowing through a document looking for links, you have to listen to every word in a line to make sure you're not missing anything. This isn't particularly efficient when trying to find links by arrowing. I know I can use the links list, but you might get a link called download appearing lots of times and you have no idea what it refers to so sometimes you need to arrow. Having used jaws for so long, not having links announced individually when using NVDA often catches me out, and it feels a bit slow when hunting for links.

2017-08-02 02:41:58

You can do this either by pressing NVDA key+V or going to Browse mode settings and choosing the use screen layout (when supported) option.

Having used NVDA for 7 years now, I much prefer having multiple links on one line. It makes navigation much faster. So much so that if I use JAWS on another computer, I temporarily turn on screen layout. Added to the Links List, I can just press K and Shift+K to move between links. It's like arrowing through links. JAWS has even seen the benefits of screen layout, as it is the mode used in smart navigation.

2017-08-02 02:54:31

Thanks. I see what you mean. I suppose it is a lot quicker in that you do a lot less arrowing if the links don't all appear separetly. I guess it's just a case of not being used to that way of doing things.

2017-08-02 14:03:30

I confess having links on one line was something I had to get used to as well, since supernova did the same thing, but as Dongargon said you can use k and shift to go through the links easily enough.

The main thing I had to get used to in Nvda, was firstly the way browse mode worked with having to hit nvda space to go through things, and secondly having to change a lot of the information spoken about page elements since under it's initial settings Nvda is far more verbose than I usually like.

I found life considerably easier when I used the nvda numbpad five key for focus information, which I often needed in games, and also got a bit more used to how to use the screen review mode for looking at more standard windows or bits of text such as interactive fiction games.

2017-08-03 00:59:41

Ah, what a shame there is currently no way to do this. I'll probably suggest it though. On another note, I updated my snapshot of the next branch and was extremely disappointed to see they'd reverted to the old sounds. Reading in process, it turns out people didn't like them. It's not so much the sudden change back that bothers me, they can manually be changed bac. It's the mass bitching that probably ensued from the change. I much preferred the newer sounds. They were quieter, not in mono and just overall less intrusive. I was looking forward to them hitting master. What'd you all think of them?

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2017-08-03 02:19:19

Hi.
Relating to the web page layout, as I said, that's Insert/Caps Lock and the letter V.
The Browse mode dialog has some neat options that controls how NVDA deals with the web. Check it out. I turned off automatic say all after page load. Automatic focus mode, which is like forms mode, has two options.
For focus changes refers to behaviour when pressing Tab, for example, or when a new page loads. It's on by default.
For caret movement refers to when the arrow keys are pressed, for example.
JAWS fans, the default is like semi-auto, manual involves turning both options off and automatic relates to both being on.
I loved the new sounds. Glad I saved them. I'll use them in my portable copies I have. They're quite snappy, and not drawn out.

2017-08-03 10:33:42

Yes, new sounds are beter!

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-08-06 13:08:05

Hope the OP doesn't mind my using this thread for general NVDA questions. I was wondering about the portable copy of NVDA. I have the NVDA installer in the main folder of an external hd, so if I ever need a screen reader, I can just plug it in, then from the start menu, use first letter navigation to get to the nvda.exe, and run it. I just looked at installing a portable copy instead, but it said in order to run the portable copy, navigate to the folder, and click the nvda.exe. But the folder contains tons of files beginning with the letter n, so how do you click nvda.exe with no screen reader? I must be missing something obvious here, but what is it?

2017-08-06 14:03:37

That one is easy, just make anew folder and call it something like NVDA and install it into that folder.

I have two separate folders, one for snapshots and another for the official NVDA release incase I need to copy it to a flash drive.

You can either use narator to find the folder or memorise the path and type it into the run dialog.

2017-08-06 15:53:55

I always forget about narrator smile.

2017-08-07 15:42:52

Not to mention that you are not limited to just the first letter when using this way of navigation. Simply open the folder in question without a screen reader, if you can do that confidently and reliably, type out "nvda" literally, and press enter. I find that to be the fastest way that works on the first attempt 99% of the time, and I don't have to mess around with the unbearable Narrator. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2017-08-07 22:08:37

I like to throw in one wrong letter, to be sure that the right letters went through. I think this only works on the desktop, though. Ex, I'd type NVK or NVDAK, and it'd play the Windows Ding when I get to K.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-08 00:47:58 (edited by flackers 2017-08-08 00:51:42)

I had no idea you could type multiple letters like that. I suppose there's some sort of time delay script like double clicking the mouse or checking the date with a screen reader. It explains why I sometimes get a ding when using first letter navigation and hit a different letter too quickly. Interesting checking it out just now, it wouldn't work if the file had the same letter twice at the start.