2017-08-06 17:47:59

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone here could help me out with this. I recently got my hands on an old Braille Plus 18, second generation, for hardly any money at all. Even though the device has been discontinued, I figured the price was cheap enough that I could at least have a basic note taker by grabbing this one. Alas, this thing seems to be rather more than just your basic note taker... And the way it's set up right now looks way different from the apparently out of date manual. For one thing, the manual says this device runs Android 2.3, but the one I've got is running Android 4.4.4. Was there an update posted for the device that was never reflected on APH's website? Thing is, there are no online resources whatsoever for the device, as APH seems to have pulled everything. Does anyone know what the latest news for this thing is, or have a suggestion on where to find the latest complete version of the software or something? I truly have no clue what I'm doing here...

Regards, Locutus.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2017-08-06 18:34:55

Where'd you get the notetaker from anyway? As for the software, it's pretty much been discontinued for good, just as the note taker has been.

2017-08-06 20:51:36

A guy at Blind Bargains sold it to me. I figured they weren't updating the software any more, but I was hoping they'd at least have a copy of the last revision somewhere... Particularly since this thing seems to be missing apps, such as the recorder and word processor apps. The closest thing I see to the word processor is called notes...

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2017-08-07 13:51:23

wow, i wish i could have that note taker! It seams that who ever sold it to you installed an aosp version of android OMG, i'd love to use one like that! anyway,

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2017-08-07 15:51:29

Not sure what that is... But trust me, the way it is right now, with stuff missing and whatnot, it's not the best thing to have. Mind you, I'm not sure how stable the regular version of it is either, so I can't say much... Seriously though, I don't care about having a new version of Android, as long as I have a word processor that actually works... Which isn't the case right now.

2017-08-07 23:08:01

AOSP is the official Android Open Source Project.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-08 00:48:30

I wonder how they got that installed on the braille plus 18 if the filesystem isn't open.

2017-08-08 18:34:50

Guys, I believe that Locutus is trying to ask a question completely unrelated to the file system, and it kind of looks like his question is being ignored.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-08-08 20:09:32

His question is not being ignored. If he's missing applications, and he's running a version of the firmware that, to our knowledge, wasn't officially released, we need to ask these questions to get to the bottom of this.

2017-08-08 20:56:43

It does look like it's an unofficial version, as I've seen nothing about version 16.01.20 DEV anywhere online. At this point I just wish I could somehow get the latest official version, just so that I have all the apps that actually work.

2017-08-08 21:00:46

Hmm. I have one possible hunch. Can we get in touch with this guy who sold you it and ask him if the filesystem was open on the unit? On the other hand, it's very possible he could've been on the beta team for the braille plus18.Hmm. Could

2017-08-08 21:44:44

Or he could have hacked it. The way I see it, just try to find a 3rd party text editor and use that.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-08-08 22:37:51

True, but what about braille support in said text editor? And *hacking* an android device? Too broad of a term. It's rooting, which I don't know how he managed to do if he did.

2017-08-09 22:50:16

So, the version number that the Braille Plus shows me when it powers on makes me think that this may very well have been a Beta. 16.01.20 DEV is similar to the way that APH showed official update revisions for the device, minus the DEV part. I'm gonna try to reach out to them directly and find out if they simply have a way of getting the latest stable version of their software back on the device... Right now, I need a word processor capable of handling Braille a heck of a lot more than I need a last-minute beta.

2017-08-09 23:07:16

Who sold you the unit? You could contact them and ask if they were a beta tester.

2017-08-11 04:45:12

Update. I contacted the guy I bought this from. Apparently, he himself had gotten it from someone else at Blind Bargains. Guess now I really don't have any recourse except reaching out to APH directly.

2017-08-11 06:32:07

Did he tell you the guy he originally bought this from?