2017-08-05 00:03:42

As the title asks, are there any reasonably good rogue like games available?

I currently have the trial version of Entombed, it's not a bad game but it's a bit heavy on the RPG elements for my tastes., plus it has some balance problems in that I've played it at least a dozen times and can never get past the goblin king or whatever it is on level five or six, and there's no more enemies to fight to get strong enough to beat him.

I've seen reviews of Entombed that say that as the game is now, if you don't pick the right races and jobs for your characters, it's impossible to win. It shouldn't be that way. If it were properly balanced , all making bad race and job choices  should do is make it harder to survive, not impossible.

On the opposite end of the scale, which is more to my liking, there appears to be Inquisitor's Heartbeat, which from the descriptions of the game has little or no RPG elements in it.

So, with all that in mind, does anyone know of some other rogue like games that trend towards being light on the RPG stuff focusing instead on exploring and escaping with some battles just to keep it interesting?

Thanks!

2017-08-05 01:08:07

There's the accessible version of NetHack, which you can download here.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-08-05 01:24:29

There's also Brogue Speak, which is a customized version of Brogue with an audio interface. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is mostly accessible by default, and is an excellent roguelike with lots of classes to choose from.

More generally, any roguelike which runs in the text console is playable. If you have acces to a Linux system, either real or virtual, my favorite becomes available, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

2017-08-05 04:19:56

Entombed is always manageable even if all of your starters are fairies, lol. Who said it can't be?:)
How accessible is that nethack so far?

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-08-05 08:49:11

There are some decent rogue-likes in both the glulx and Z-machine formats. For glulx, there is Kerkerkruip which is a very strategic exercise in choices. Victor Gijsbers uses philosophy to assist in his game design, so his games tend to be kind of interesting in the sense that they are designed around a certain design element. In this game, it's depth through choice of actions with different benefits and some risk management. Another one from the Z-machine is a game called A Little Like Rogue (Creative name, I know.) It's pretty could for a good run I suppose. Not as good as Kerkerkruip, though. The file on the interactive fiction archive is llr3.z8. It spawns a simple dungeon that you can walk around. Admittedly, the floors are either squares, or streight lines. Sometimes you might get half a square. We've also got Wumpus 2001. It's not that bad, either. I guess it falls a little away from the rogue-like thing, though. They adhere to the formula as well as Z-machine games can. Either way, Wumpus 2001 is definitely more exploration heavy than the others.
Anyways. Hope that helps.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-08-05 09:34:21

Hm, should get a hold of linux system myself, cause the windows version of cataclysm is nearly unuseable as  i tried... smile Well, it can be just me, maybe doing something wrong.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-08-05 09:34:56

Part of Entombed's design involves making the most of what you get rather  than choosing optimal conditions, this is why some race/job combos are intentionally harder to work with and you need to give right secondary jobs to compensate.

The goblin king however is not that tough, so something suggests to me that your doing something fundamentally wrong in how your playing the game.

Possible newbie mistakes include 1: not comparing equipment you find to end up with better (all items are unique therefore two good bronze short swords are not equal).

2: trying to combine magic and technique based jobs. Since magic jobs increase mental stats per level and technique jobs increase physical ones, this is just a combo that will not work, since a fighter mage ends up being half as powerful as either a fighter assassin or a mage necro.

3: Not distributing skill points correctly. Since you have no choice about who is attacked when, putting points into armour types is a waste of time, it's better to concentrate on attack skills. Also, don't put points into a weapon skill unless you can be sure of having a good version of that weapon (short swords is good).

Also, distribute the points around.

4: Forget to use targeting especially with magic. ice blast to the head can make the game almost a one attack slug fest, particularly since magic never misses even if you aim for difficult head shots (yes, this is a huuuuge! imbalance and does make magic jobs better than technique ones).

5: Forget to rest. There is literally no reason not to rest after each fight as there are no penalties for resting, save healing potions for battles.

6:Target the same enemy. If an enemy is up and fighting they are damaging you. Focus  on one enemy at a time with all your party. The one exception to this is if you have a spell like sleep or a knockdown attack that  decrease another enemy's effectiveness, also remember any defensive techniques such as sneak attack that put your characters out of the line of fire are going to be useful.

7: Remember cooldown timers. Flurry sneak attack looks like an awesome combo, however it's going to put your fighter out of action for a while. Usually I only do this if I can be sure of killing an enemy or if I want some payback.

if all else fails, try an elf necro healer, or if you've unlocked it necro druid. Ice blast to the head plus a skeletal companion equals an easy trip through the dungeon.

if you get a fighter, make them  an assassin or thief (assassin  critical hits and sneak attack makes a good combo with any physical job), and if they're a race not suited to be physical fighters like Halfling or they can't be assassins try bard, indeed Bard is  a pretty overpowered job generally whether as primary or secondary.

if they are a magic job, make them a necro or druid.

Remember that though half orc and ogre are nominally easier options, the dungeon races generally have a harder game since your more likely to rescue something useless like a goblin or Kobold or ogre mage.
Hmmm, writing this makes me want to go back to my entombed handbook project.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-05 21:53:34 (edited by Orko 2017-08-06 00:56:12)

I'm not new to rogue like games, as I've played several quite frequently before I lost my vision, but back then my gaming focus was on first person shooters like Doom, Quake, Unreal, and Half Life.

So I know all about choosing appropriate races to maximize a classes abilities, you don't pick a Halfling for a fighter. I also know to collect whatever's around me after a battle and reequip my characters with better equipment when it becomes available, yet I still can't get past the goblin king, and seeing that it's been stuck at version 1.20j for the past four years, it doesn't look as though there's any hope of any future development that might fix some of these problems.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to become a discussion of Entombed, I have long ago given up on it and uninstalled it.

2017-08-05 22:41:23

As far as Cataclysm goes, unfortunately the (current) Windows build isn't accessible. I think it's a relatively simple fix, the "console window," it uses isn't actually the real thing. I've always meant to get back on the forums at some point and badger them about trying to rectify that, because the game is amazing.